Programming Software Pay Vs. Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

ONTScan

Premium Subscriber
Hi all, lately I have been playing around with my 396T, specifically programming and reprogramming it.
Currently I am using the Freescan software and with the newest version it has been working much better than the previouis version.
Anyway I am curious to know if anyone has purchased the ARC396Pro software or any other BCD396T compatable software and what differences the pay software has over the free software. I understand the ARC396Pro software allows for recording however Im not sure if I would do any recording.
Let me know your thoughts regarding Free programming software Vs Pay for the BCD396T.

Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is too broad a question. At least right now, as you already noted, Freescan doesn't support everything the ARC programs do. That's only a matter of what the developers consider important, and really has nothing to do with pay vs. free.

It's certainly true that there are free programs which are pure junk, and yet others are stellar. The same can be said of paid programs. So how to you quantify 'free vs. pay'? In terms of what?

73 Mike

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Software

Hi all, lately I have been playing around with my 396T, specifically programming and reprogramming it.
Currently I am using the Freescan software and with the newest version it has been working much better than the previouis version.
Anyway I am curious to know if anyone has purchased the ARC396Pro software or any other BCD396T compatable software and what differences the pay software has over the free software. I understand the ARC396Pro software allows for recording however Im not sure if I would do any recording.
Let me know your thoughts regarding Free programming software Vs Pay for the BCD396T.

Thanks

:confused:Why don't you go to the Butel web site and down load their program for your scanner and try it for free for a set period of time also this will pertain to most other software for sale they offer a trial period so you can make your own mind up and not depend on others to answer your questions.
Steve

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Free vs. Pay? Hmmmm, I think I'll go with Free! Mostly what you are looking at are different GUI's for the user. One thing I like about Freescan is that the building of it is a member of RR and he takes care of issues that users have. Most of the pay software, updates come out once a year or so.

Highpockets

Free vs. Pay? Hmmmm, I think I'll go with Free! Mostly what you are looking at are different GUI's for the user. One thing I like about Freescan is that the building of it is a member of RR and he takes care of issues that users have. Most of the pay software, updates come out once a year or so.

The authors of ARC and Proscan are members here and work on problems that come up with their programs, and upgrade their software when needed.

JoeyC

The authors of ARC and Proscan are members here and work on problems that come up with their programs, and upgrade their software when needed.

And so does the author of the WINxxx programs.

Win500: PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-106, PRO-197 Scanner Software for Data Management, Monitoring, and Control
PRO-96 Software - Win96 - Data Management Software for the RadioShack PRO-96 and PRO-2096 Digital Trunking Scanners
Win97 - Data Management Software for the PRO-97, PRO-2055, PSR-300, PSR-400, PRO-164, and PRO-163 Scanners

Most of the pay software, updates come out once a year or so.

This software is ALWAYS being updated and to say the PAID versions are updated once a year is FALSE!

smason

It all boils down to what's available, and whether it does what you need.

I use Win500, Proscan and Freescan. Win500 was a no-brainer, it does everything I need for a very reasonable price. Proscan was the same, though I did use Freescan to do some database editing that worked better for me. None of the programs are very expensive, and most have free trials. You really can't lose. Well you can lose if you purchase a product that the author doesn't support well, then completely drops (I won't mention the name, I'm sure his other products are well-supported) but stuff happens.....

Status
Not open for further replies.