SDS100/SDS200: Programming Specific Searches

matdvd

Premium Subscriber
  • Total Newbie. Mid-50's. Highly intelligent, or so I thought.
  • SDS100, couple of diff antennas.
  • Newest version of ProScan.
  • Want the ability to scan certain groups of frequencies at different times/moods, I suppose.
Right now I have basically keyed my zip into the radio, and can scan all local channels well.

What I would like is to program blocks of searches that I can change and select. Such as just PD, or Fire, EMS, Air, all of the above, etc.

What I have found is that there is TONS to learn, and that manuals, software, and the like, is going to take a myriad of time to figure out. In the meantime, my wife and I would just like to enjoy listening to the specific happenings in the area.

Any help is much appreciated. Thx in advance.
Matt

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Searches are somewhat more involved than if you have already programmed the scanner with Favorites Lists (FL’s). It sounds like you have the scanner receiving all that the zip code offers, which is to say the scanner is programmed for your area. You can create an FL or continue using the zip code offering. In either case (FL or zip code programming) you can start with selecting “Service Types”. Push the Squelch/Menu knob and scroll down the “Select Service Types”. Choose those that you want (fire, law enforcement, aircraft, etc.) and turn off those that don’t interest you.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
What I would like is to program blocks of searches that I can change and select. Such as just PD, or Fire, EMS, Air, all of the above, etc.

Those searches you speak of do not really work like that any more. While they are geared more for scanning user set ranges, today police, fire and ems are now scattered all over the bands with a good portion being on trunked systems. Back in the day, many fd was on low band and many pd was in vhf so scanning those ranges would yield many results.

What I have found is that there is TONS to learn, and that manuals, software, and the like, is going to take a myriad of time to figure out.

Great resource for your scanner is here and pretty easy on the eyes.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I'd suggest you program multiple favorite lists and assign them quick keys.
Also get Sentinel and install it.

ProScan is certainly great, but to load (weekly) updated databases & any future firmware you NEED Sentinal.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
ProScan is certainly great, but to load (weekly) updated databases & any future firmware you NEED Sentinal.
With ProScan, you can get the updates anytime so don't have to wait for the weekly update. When was the last time Uniden released a firmware update? You do need Sentinel if editing the Profile.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
With ProScan, you can get the updates anytime so don't have to wait for the weekly update. When was the last time Uniden released a firmware update? You do need Sentinel if editing the Profile.
You also need Sentinel to keep the main database in the up to date. That needs to be kept reasonably up to date if you are scanning via the main database and a location, or traveling along with a GPS to update your location as you travel.

Not betting on seeing any firmware updates in the near future (at least, not for the next year.)
  • Total Newbie. Mid-50's. Highly intelligent, or so I thought.
  • SDS100, couple of diff antennas.
  • Newest version of ProScan.
  • Want the ability to scan certain groups of frequencies at different times/moods, I suppose.
Right now I have basically keyed my zip into the radio, and can scan all local channels well.

What I have found is that there is TONS to learn, and that manuals, software, and the like, is going to take a myriad of time to figure out. In the meantime, my wife and I would just like to enjoy listening to the specific happenings in the area.

Any help is much appreciated. Thx in advance.
Matt
As already noted, various bands (or ranges) of frequency are no longer specific to a particular service, i.e. fire and law enforcement.

However, you can designate three of the user definable Custom Search ranges as shown in the profile to be accessible from the Search Keys on the keypad.
1684699888338.png

You can change the frequency range of any or all of the ten searches, and then assign three of them to be accessible by hitting the Function key, then either 1, 2, or 3.

1684699619180.png
While there's no way to specify service type in your ranges, you could easily set one of them to search for AM frequencies in the Aircraft band. You can set up as many as ten searches via the Profile Editor, then pick three of those to assign to the quick access keys.

matdvd

Premium Subscriber
I'm about to give up. I still cant get Sentinel to load. It pops up that I need to load .NET Framework 2.0. I've tried everything from 2.0, up to 7.0. Nothing works. So frustrating. I'm usually the one called to help with all I.T. tasks, but for the life of me, this is kicking my behind.

My laptop is a new Lenovo, so its not an old relic...but im feeling like one now...not gonna lie. Lol

Any clue how to even DL Sentinel? I figured this would have been the easy part...

Thx again.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'm about to give up. I still cant get Sentinel to load. It pops up that I need to load .NET Framework 2.0. I've tried everything from 2.0, up to 7.0. Nothing works. So frustrating. I'm usually the one called to help with all I.T. tasks, but for the life of me, this is kicking my behind.

My laptop is a new Lenovo, so its not an old relic...but im feeling like one now...not gonna lie. Lol

Any clue how to even DL Sentinel? I figured this would have been the easy part...

Thx again.

Check the 1st box.

Untitled.png

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Last edited: