Programming Strategy For Wisconsin Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I live in Minnesota, so I typically monitor ARMER, when I am in Minnesota. I am in Wisconsin often enough that I want to program my Unication G5 for monitoring there.

My Unication has 128 Zones and 8 Knob Positions in each zone. Each knob position can either have up to 64 talkgroups for trunked systems, like ARMER or WISCOM. Or, each can hold a conventional channel. For scanning conventional channels another knob position can be used to scan conventional channels.

My first 25 zones will be programmed with ARMER talkgroups. That leaves over 100 remaining zones for Wisconsin programming or other things.

With Wisconsin having 72 counties, one thought is to dedicate at least one zone per county. If I do it that way, one or two Knob Positions can be for WISCOM for that county. The remaining 6 knob positions could be for conventional VHF channels. One Knob position would be to scan and the remaining 5 would be the actual conventional channel information.

Another thought is to just program the counties that I typically would travel through. We make trips occasional from the Twin Cities to the greater Milwaukee area. That takes us through the following counties: Saint Croix, Dunn, Eau Claire, Trempealeau, Jackson, Monroe, Juneau, Sauk, Columbia, Dane, Jefferson, Waukesha and Mikwaukee.

If I program it that way, I might be inclined to have about 4 counties per zone. For example, Saint Croix, Dunn, Eau Claire and Trempealeau, when we are eastbound on I-94. One thought is to put WISCOM, for that county, on the odd numbered Knob positions, so 1, 3, 5, and 7. The even numbered Knob Positions would be conventional for those same counties. That would/should make things a bit simpler when driving. Traveling into the next county would only involve a turn of the rotary knob.

Another thought I am having is to simply program WISCOM with all possible control channels, primary and alternates, into one Knob Position and monitor it in the Wildcard/Talkgroup Monitor mode. With the Wisconsin State Patrol using WISCOM, it is nice to monitor them when traveling on I-94.

Yet another plan is to focus on conventional channels and program WISCOM frequencies in conventionally and simply lock out the control channels, as needed. WISCOM seems quiet enough in the areas that ahve monitored that it might work.

I have considered running two radios. I would dedicate one for conventional and one for WISCOM. There is also the WAF, Wife Acceptance Factor to consider, too. She generally has zero interest into hearing every barking dog and vehicle lockout call, as we travel on I-94. On the other hand, if I park the radio on just the Wisconsin State Patrol, she would be more inclined to listen because things discussed on their talkgroups are more likely to directly affect us on our drive. I might even program one Knob Position with all WISCOM control channels AND enable Full Spectrum, but only program in Wisconsin State Patrol talkgroups.

Anyway, this is long winded post and I apologize in advance for that. I am interested in hearing from others on your programming strategy, particularly regarding traveling, since you have both WISCOM and conventional channels of interest.

Also, are many/most conventional sheriff main channels patched to WISCOM talkgroups? If so, that might make things much simpler.

djeplett

Can the G5 scan more than one trunked system at a time? I know they were going to come out with firmware to allow this but I don't know if they have yet as I don't have one and haven't been following that as closely. That will be a big factor in how to program it if you are going to use only one radio.

Personally, I would use two. One for conventional along your route and your G5 for WISCOM. I would then set up one knob position for each WSP post. That way when you travel from post to post you just have to switch the knob and that's it. I would only put in the talkgroups for that post as well as any talkgroups associated with any counties in that area. And I would put in only the sites that are in that post area, too.

On the analog scanner I would put in just the dispatch channels for each sheriff's department in each county, the EMS and/or fire dispatch channels and then any major city department's dispatches. I would organize them by WSP post so when you change the knob on the G5 you change the favorite/scanlist on the analog scanner.

If you're going to end up in Milwaukee and drive around the area you really need to monitor OASIS as well as WISCOM. In fact, I would forego WISCOM and focus on OASIS alone if I could only monitor one with the G5.

What you are looking to do would be possible with one radio if you used an SDS100 but if you already have the G5 then that is how I would go.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Can the G5 scan more than one trunked system at a time?...

I have Firmware version 1.31, which will NOT scan more than one trunked system at a time. I think the beta 1.4 will, I haven't signed up to be a bet tester for that.

I like you reasoning on how you would set yours up. It makes sense. Cross into a different WSP post, simply switch knob positions on both the Unication G5 and Uniden SDS100.

I will say, too, on a related note, almost every time we make the trip from the Twin Cities to the Milwaukee area, we seem to run across something interesting along I-94. Things happen on that chunk of interstate!

djeplett

I agree. It's nice to know if there's something to be concerned about up ahead on the freeway when you're traveling. Or why the traffic has stopped. Or how the road conditions are. My scanners have really come in handy over the years.

If you have an SDS100 then I highly recommend the GPS unit for it. I will never go back to changing favorites/scanlists again.

djeplett

I was thinking since the G5 has its VHF section connected to an internal antenna only, I would use your SDS100 for WISCOM since WISCOM is primarily VHF throughout the state. I would then use a mag mount antenna like this one:
I use the same antenna and it's pretty easy to use since its small and easily removed. Your G5 being in the vehicle may have trouble receiving WISCOM at times.

Citywide6

Premium Subscriber
Dane County Sheriff main dispatch (F1) is always up on the WISCOM tower at Deerfield (and Blue Mounds, but that’s not near the Interstate). Talk Group is 13001. When its busy, dispatch for local police is moved to F3 talkgroup 13003. I’ll check a few other WISCOM towers along I-94 and see if there are other sheriff dispatch channels reliably on.

Status
Not open for further replies.