Programming the GRE 500/600 scanners for rebanded Motorola trunked systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonS

Within Win500, it's merely a matter of setting the TSYS's trunking tables to "Custom" then clicking the "Rebanded" option:

Attachments

• Win500Reband.jpg
    Win500Reband.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,276

mikey60

Pretty much the same with PSREdit500. Set the tables to Custom, then click on the edit tables button, and then click on the 800MHz Rebanded button.

Attachments

• Custom Tables.png
    Custom Tables.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,257

DonS

Mike (V)... you might want to change the text in your "Custom Frequency Tables" dialog shown above. As I'm sure you're aware, the tables are used for more than just "only MOT VHF/UHF" TSYS objects (i.e. any MOT or P25 TSYS where the TTables setting is "custom").

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Thanks to you and Mikey60 for those screen shots. I will capture them and post them in the GRE software article. Then everyone can point to this, rather than to the otherwise-unrelated Win96 article. Clarity is important! 73 Mike

Last edited:

mikey60

Mike (V)... you might want to change the text in your "Custom Frequency Tables" dialog shown above. As I'm sure you're aware, the tables are used for more than just "only MOT VHF/UHF" TSYS objects (i.e. any MOT or P25 TSYS where the TTables setting is "custom").

DOH! I guess I better fix that! (Shows you how often I look at that screen).

Thanks Don!

Mike

DonS

Don, Mike has the offsets in his table and you don't, is there really any difference if you put the offset in or not?

Yes, it matters.

After lookiing at Mike's table more closely, I don't believe it will work*. With the base frequencies shown (which match mine), all of the offsets except the first and fifth (base frequencies 851.0250 and 868.9750) should be zero. That is, it should look like my table.

*Mike's table will work for any system that only uses channel number 0-719. Any system that uses channel numbers above 719 will have incorrect voice frequencies calculated.

Highpockets

Yes, it matters.

After lookiing at Mike's table more closely, I don't believe it will work*. With the base frequencies shown (which match mine), all of the offsets except the first and fifth (base frequencies 851.0250 and 868.9750) should be zero. That is, it should look like my table.

*Mike's table will work for any system that only uses channel number 0-719. Any system that uses channel numbers above 719 will have incorrect voice frequencies calculated.

Thanks Don! I appreciate it! :)

mikey60

Yes, it matters.

Hmmm, I'll have to go back and look at that, I thought I copied it directly from what Wayne had originally posted. I'll look again.

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Mike V - I will hold off posting the changed chart until you get a chance to validate your findings. I would like to get a correct chart posted, not one that has potential errors. Thanx. 73 Mike

mikey60

Mike V - I will hold off posting the changed chart until you get a chance to validate your findings. I would like to get a correct chart posted, not one that has potential errors. Thanx. 73 Mike

Yeah, the one on there is incorrect due to my misunderstanding of how offsets work on 800MHz systems. I've corrected the tables for the next release, but haven't been able to get it put up on the site yet.

Mike

DonS

Yeah, the one on there is incorrect due to my misunderstanding of how offsets work on 800MHz systems.
To clarify... the offsets work the same on all MOT and P25 systems. When the radio receives a "call grant"-type message, it looks at the channel number contained in that message. It then looks for a "table entry" that contains that channel number, based on each table entry's "ChLO" and "ChHI" values. If it finds such an entry, it calculates the voice frequency using:
Fv = Fbase + Fstep x (Channel - Offset)
where:
Fbase = the entry's "Base Frequency" value
Fstep = the entry's "Step Size" value
Offset = the entry's "Offset" value
Channel = the channel number from the control channel message

I think the misunderstanding (i.e. "Offset" usually equal to "ChLO") probably comes from how people are sometimes told to figure out the "ChLO" and "ChHI" values when they only have Base, Offset, and Step settings. We've told them (usually in reference to VHF or UHF OBT systems) to:
1. sort their entries by offset value
2. set each entry's "ChLO" to its "Offset" value
3. set each entry's "ChHI" to one less than the "Offset" value of the next entry, or 759 if this is the last entry

For example, given the RR DB's listed table entries for the San Mateo County, CA system, we'd come up with table entries of:
Code:
ChLO  ChHI  Offset  Step  Base
380   559   380     12.5  482.0000
560   759   560     12.5  488.0000

For the "rebanded" 800 MHz systems, though, we already have a known set of table entries, and don't need to do any such ChLO/ChHI derivation.

It should be clear from the formula above that the values for Offset and Base Frequency are intimately tied together. Each entry defines a range of Channel -> Frequency mappings, where the first frequency in the mapping depends on both Base Frequency and Offset.

In the UHF example above, the two ranges start at (have first voice frequencies of) 482.000 and 488.000 MHz. The "default" 800 MHz tables are laid out somewhat differently, though: the Base Frequency doesn't usually equal the first voice frequency in the range - since the Offset value is zero. For example, the range for channels 720-759 has a first voice frequency of 866.000MHz, not 848.000MHz. If one wanted to make these tables "look like" the user-derived VHF/UHF tables (i.e. Offset = ChLO), then one would have to change both the base frequency and offset values. The 720-759 range would get a new offset of 720 and a new base frequency of 866.000MHz. That is, these two table entries are equivalent:
Code:
ChLO  ChHI  Offset  Step  Base
720   759   0       25.0  848.0000
720   759   720     25.0  866.0000
Which format is used is really a user preference - the scanner doesn't care. The first entry is what's used internally by the PSR-500. The second entry might be more "clear" to a user, though, since it directly tells you that the channel range 720-759 uses voice frequencies 25.0kHz apart starting at 866.000MHz.

Last edited:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Today i used Win96 (thank you Don) to set up a rebanding for my PRO96 on a northern suburb of Chicago=NWCD-Arlington Hts ILL, Motorola Type11 analog-digital 3600baud system...I followed the first post (Wayne) description, all freqys are from 851-853, entered the new 7 freqys, clicked on 3600-800mgz-multi-table, proceded to put in the first two sets of freqys, base, offset, CH-lo, CH-hi....I then "erased" all the rest as it mentioned you only need the first two freqy limits if not over 860....I then downloaded to my PRO96-1.3ver...I live 55 miles from this system so next week i hope to visit the area to see if it works...This system was just rebanded and from local accounts Motorola changed the # ing system of the freqys...Does my procedure sound correct....Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.