• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming the rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

VK2AM

Hello all

I have some moto experience with hand helds and trunk mounts, now I have just recently purchased a GR300 fitted with two M120's,PSU and cellwave duplexer. I have read the radios, but have been unable to read the RICK. It should be read via the tx radio? Also do I need to run my pc in DOS to read the RICK? I can read the radios in a DOS window in XP. I have seen elsewhere that for such old software DOS is the only way to go, if so why is it I can read both radios in XP? Will I have an error when I try to write the radios?

I purchased this to get an amateur repeater up an running. So any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

cmdrwill

The R.I.C.K. does not 'read', it is very old technology, and do not work very well even when they were new 20 years ago.
They have DIP switches and should not need changing.

Look here for the replacement:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/maxtrac/files/id-o-matic-rick-rev2.pdf

Yes, the M120 RSS only runs in REAL DOS. You can use Win 95 or 98 booted into DOS.
Running RSS in any socalled DOS window, you could corrupt the poor little M120 radios.

You should only have to reprogram your frequencies in the radios and retune the duplexer.

Last edited:

VK2AM

Thanks for the feedback. The RICK does have the switches inside it, I have pulled it apart to inspect. Yes the duplexers do need a retune, that will be my next challenge after I get the rick sorted out.

cmdrwill

Is / was the RICK working?

If it was working then it should not need any changes.

PM Me if you need further help. We had lots of them in service here before they were all changed out.
I still have all the technical information here.

Last edited:

VK2AM

G'day, I hex edited the .mdf file to get the M120's to drop 10 mhz lower for the Australian ham band. I then used the DOS screen in XP (no issues) to program one radio and cloned the second one off that. I did a very quick test with the RICK and it seems to be functional. I haven't done a tx with the repeater yet as the duplexer was initially set for 463 mhz and I didn't want to put any strain on the radio tx'ing 30 mhz lower. I managed to get the manual from the net. I wont adjust the switches in the RICK (if needed) till I can do an on air test, the manual tells all the necessary positions and yes you are correct, I shouldn't need to adjust them. This model of Zetron ZR310 RICK is called the "Basic" version. I just need to find a suitable ident module that can plug into the back of the RICK and then tune the duplexer.

Status
Not open for further replies.