Programming the TM-V71A with software (MCP-2A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georges

Premium Subscriber
I've been transmitting with the TM-V7 for some time now and decided to get a newer TM-V71A. With the TM-V7 the programming of the bands were separate with the programming software. With the TM-V71A, the software available on the Kenwood website, the MCP-2A, all the channels (000 to 999) are on the same page for entries, contrary to the TM-V7 were both bands could be programmed separately.

Is there a way (that I haven't discovered yet ?) to program with the MCP-2A the VHF and UHF bands in order to monitor them on band A and B ? Is there a way to allocate a certain number of channels to VHF and/or UHF like it is possible with the software for the TM-V7. Example, I want to have 500 channels in each band and then monitor them at the same time with two separate speakers ?

I like the radio very much but I'm having this programming problem with VHF and UHF. I can't separate the 2m and 70cm bands in the radio with the software.

LtDoc

Try this...
Run the MCP-2A program and under "VIEW" at the top, select 'TREE'. Click the "+" and look for "MENU" then click it's "+". Look down the list until you see "Band Mask". When you open the Band Mask you are given the option of which frequency ranges will be usable from which 'side' of the radio, A or B.
This isn't exactly what you wanted, but it'll get things 'separated' at least between VHF and UHF. From there, it's a matter of 'skipping' unwanted memory channels and scanning with the appropriate 'side' of the radio.
Think that might work for you??
- 'Doc

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Thr MCP-1A works good for the TM-271A.

My question would be can you put any freq into the software program (VHF & UHF) in the same memory group, and when you program the radio does the VHF freqs stay on one side and the UHF freqs go over to the other side???

Mike

Georges

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. I downloaded the software from Kenwood's web site. Is there a better software program that's available ?

When I add the frequencies in the program, it downloads all of them in both bands ? I tried different ways but it's always the same. Maybe it's me but I haven't found the right way to do it yet.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The memories in the TM-V71 (and TM-D710) is one homogeneous memory space and both bands access channels from the same set of memories. It is not possible to have a set of memories assigned to Side A of the radio and another set assigned to Side B.

Note, this conversation gets very confusing if you use "Band" to refer to both the selected frequency band and the selected side of the radio. Kenwood's manual uses these terms somewhat interchangeably. I will use "Side" to refer to the Left (A) or Right (B) side of the radio and "Band" to refer to the frequency band.

There are two possible solutions to your question:

Memory Recall Method (Menu 201) -- When set to ALL, all memory channels are accessible regardless of the band setting (118, 144, 220, 300, 440,1200) of the side of the radio you are using. When set to CURRENT, only those memory channels in the current band will be accessed. For example, with Menu 201 set to CURRENT and Side A set to the 144 Band, only memory channels in the 144 band will be accessible. I believe this feature is selectable through MCP-2A.

Memory Channel Grouping -- The memory channels are grouped according to the first digit of the memory channel number, i.e. channels 0-99 are group 0, channels 100-199 are group 1, etc. You can scan just the memory channels in a group. For example, to scan just the channels in Group 7, tune to a memory channel between 700 and 799, then press the tuning knob for 1 second. You can use this feature to have Side A scanning one group of memories and Side B scanning another group. Groups can be linked. See page 45 of the TM-V71A manual for more details on Group Scan and Memory Group Link. Group links can be set up in MCP-2A.

Last edited:

chuckmathews

Tm-v71

Does anyone know if you can set up the mic to restart a group scan on one of the PF keys? I'd prefer to not have to reach up to the control head if possible.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.