Programming The TRX-1 Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvengr

Well Known Member
You don't have to download the database from Radio Reference or Whistler. Once you have TRX-1 EZ-Scan on your computer, download the appended file and save. Under the File tab, go to Restore Configuration from Archive and open the saved file. That will load LAPD into your software. Connect your scanner to the computer. Under the Scanner/SD Card tab, go to Copy Configuration to Scanner Memory/SD Card. That should load LAPD into your scanner. I have three scan lists in the program:
1. LAPD Dispatch
2. LAPD Talkaround
3. LAPD Bureau Tac

Attachments

• LAPD TRX-1.zip
    34.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

eyes00only

Didn’t know I could download from radio reference to the scanner.i thought the chip in the scanner had everything from RR.

I'm a little older than the OP but also have been monitoring for a long time.
If you have ever downloaded from Radio Reference it's not the same with the TRX (Sure wish it was!).
It's a real mess with large systems like here in Colorado. You end up with way more talkgroups than
needed and then need to delete them. I don't need ALL the CSP talkgroups every time I want something
from our DTRS system. There are tricks that you will learn that's good exercise for our aging brains :)

lls207

Premium Subscriber
You don't have to download the database from Radio Reference or Whistler. Once you have TRX-1 EZ-Scan on your computer, download the appended file and save. Under the File tab, go to Restore Configuration from Archive and open the saved file. That will load LAPD into your software. Connect your scanner to the computer. Under the Scanner/SD Card tab, go to Copy Configuration to Scanner Memory/SD Card. That should load LAPD into your scanner. I have three scan lists in the program:
1. LAPD Dispatch
2. LAPD Talkaround
3. LAPD Bureau Tac

7/10/2019
Wednesday

Thanks so much. There is no way I would have figured out how to put those frequencies in that scanner. No way.
So now that I have that done, how do I put more frequencies in the scanner?

lls207

Premium Subscriber
7/10/2019
Wednesday

Thanks so much. There is no way I would have figured out how to put those frequencies in that scanner. No way.
So now that I have that done, how do I put more frequencies in the scanner?
I just found in “Conventional Frequencies” all the frequencies you put in. Thank you so much for your time.
It really doesn’t look like I need to put anything else in. Looks like you put in all the LAPD Frequencies I would have put in from RR’s list.
I am going to try and put in maybe Fire and EMS Dispatch. I was a Paramedic for 15 years and even though I worked as a Paramedic in New Haven Connecticut and Portland,Oregon, I would like to check out Los Angeles. I’ve only been here for four years, from Portland. I had a MOTOROLA MTS2000 there but it was useless here. It’s taken me this long to afford to buy the TRX-1.
Thanks again.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you add more scan lists, go to the General Settings tab and add the additional lists. Then go the Advanced Features tab. You can create another Scan Set with the numbers of the additional scan lists or you could change the Alpha Tag in Scan Set 1 and change the right Scan List column to include all of the scan lists. I entered everything on the Conventional Frequencies tab. I do all of my own programming by hand. I put the TGID, Alpha Tag, and Squelch information into a Microsoft Excel CSV file and Import from Text File. That way everything can be added at once without having to enter each of the talkgroups individually. After that, I assign the talkgroups to scan lists. Keep an eye on your Inbox. I'll be sending you a PM shortly.

lls207

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Using Excel sounds like the easiest way to go. I programmed the MTS2000 by hand and it’s a lot of work. I notice when you get older if you don’t keep up the skill your using, like programming a MOTOROLA radio, it disappears from your brain.
I’ll be watching for the PM.

cmking

I live in Indiana and I have tower close to my home but reception is bad on some talk groups so I switched to the tower to the town next to me which caused me to not to be able to hear some talk groups because they are not synced to that tower. Is there a way I can program both towers but scan certain talk groups to only go off the tower of my choosing. Example tower A and tower B but I only want talk group xyz to only scan tower B because reception on tower A is poor but I want talk group abc to scan tower A because it does not pick up on tower B.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
In Ezscan create two trunked systems A and B one with a site for tower A and the other with a site for tower B. Create the talkgroups you want in each trunked system without creating a wildcard in either.

eyes00only

DWELL SETTINGS. I didn't want to start a new thread yet but was wondering where the Dwell settings are in EZ Scan?
Are they the 'Advanced DSP Settings'? If so what settings should I try for improving SIMULCAST on my TRX1?
TIA

tvengr

Well Known Member
Go to the Trunked Radio Systems tab. Look in the Trunked Radio Systems box at the top of the screen. The dwell settings are at the far right end of the line.

lls207

Premium Subscriber
DWELL SETTINGS. I didn't want to start a new thread yet but was wondering where the Dwell settings are in EZ Scan?
Are they the 'Advanced DSP Settings'? If so what settings should I try for improving SIMULCAST on my TRX1?
TIA
Hi:
If you remember you accidentally wrote me. So I saw your post on Dwell Settings. I am having a lot of problems with simulcast here in Los Angeles. It's really bad. I'm also monitoring. Trunked System for Glendale and Burbank Pc's. They are close to L.A. Beautiful clear transmission from mobile and dispatch. Can you tell me how I can make my garbled transmissions readable?
Thanks,
Larney Sager
Los Angeles, California

tvengr

Well Known Member
Moving the scanner to different locations around the room or laying the scanner flat and pointing the antenna in various directions will sometimes help on simulcast systems. Turning on the attenuator is worth a try also.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Hi:
If you remember you accidentally wrote me. So I saw your post on Dwell Settings. I am having a lot of problems with simulcast here in Los Angeles. It's really bad. I'm also monitoring. Trunked System for Glendale and Burbank Pc's. They are close to L.A. Beautiful clear transmission from mobile and dispatch. Can you tell me how I can make my garbled transmissions readable?
Thanks,
Larney Sager
Los Angeles, California
Try the Uniden SDS series that was designed for simulcast and has hardware in it to decode it. The whistlers do not and as you're experiencing doesn't work for everyone on simulcast. OR just keep adjusting and you might hit on what settings work well for you or go mad doing so.

eyes00only

I did find the Dwell setting and starting to experiment now. I think I read that a lower number helps with Simulcast.
I've noticed my DMR systems have a very low setting. I'm still learning and get lost here because there are so many post,
many that are mine. I wish there was a TIP section for system types. I think a major TIP for Simulcast would be to only use
the Control Channels and to use the least amount of sites as possible. The hardest thing I've found and stated many times
is that EZ Scan STINKS.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I did find the Dwell setting and starting to experiment now. I think I read that a lower number helps with Simulcast.
I've noticed my DMR systems have a very low setting. I'm still learning and get lost here because there are so many post,
many that are mine. I wish there was a TIP section for system types. I think a major TIP for Simulcast would be to only use
the Control Channels and to use the least amount of sites as possible. The hardest thing I've found and stated many times
is that EZ Scan STINKS.
Ezscan is fine,

Tips:
1) Patience
2) What setting works for one may or may not work for you when it comes to dialing in simulcast on a scanner not made for simulcast reception.
3) Location is either a blessing or a curse with simulcast and a TRX.
4) Antenna, the stock one may work for you, if it doesn't try a paper clip before you invest in another better antenna.
5) Move that scanner as little as an inch or turn it sideways
6) If you give up....Uniden makes a scanner with hardware in it for simulcast reception, also Unification makes radios that work well, consider buying one.

eyes00only

The Colorado Database is a mess to work with using EZ Scan. I've used Win Software for other scanners and there is
no comparison. I've been doing this for about 45 years and still will say that EZ Scan STINKS.
The TRX-1 is fine for what it is and what I expected when I bought it. I have had many Uniden scanners but the new
one for me with all the updates is ridiculously expensive.

budevans

I've been doing this for about 45 years and still will say that EZ Scan STINKS.

eyes00only, If you have a PSR-500, there's an easy way to copy all of your PSR-500 programming to EzScan and your TRX-1.

Using EzScan do the following.
Connect your PSR-500 to it's USB (phono plug) cable connected to your computer and turn on your PSR-500.
Open EzScan - click on File, look down the list and click on Import from WS-1040/WS-1065.
The PSR-500 has the same programming format as the 1040 & 1065. Everything programmed in your 500 will now be imported to EzScan.

Once your current PSR-500 programming is in EzScan, you can disconnect the PSR-500. You will be able to see how the programming is formatted in EzScan. You can now connect your TRX-1 and copy the programming to it.

The whole process barely takes a minute, well maybe two minutes. It depends on how long it takes your PC to recognize the PSR-500 USB connection and then the TRX-1 USB connection.

Hope this helps.

radioopperator

Feed Provider
Got my TRX-1 today and per tech support: default scan linsts 1-15X are (BLANK) look below that to see the scan lists you downloaded.
Second I found an ISSUE they seem to be unaware of? Them handshaking their database with RR seems to be (BROKEN) to an extent? Trunk systems that re-banded almost a year ago are (NOT) reflected in THERE DATABASE You have to check and HAND FIX FOR NOW TILL THEY FIX THE ISSUE! I bet they lit the guy that wrote Uneasy scan see if he can find the issue?:(

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Got my TRX-1 today and per tech support: default scan linsts 1-15X are (BLANK) look below that to see the scan lists you downloaded.
Second I found an ISSUE they seem to be unaware of? Them handshaking their database with RR seems to be (BROKEN) to an extent? Trunk systems that re-banded almost a year ago are (NOT) reflected in THERE DATABASE You have to check and HAND FIX FOR NOW TILL THEY FIX THE ISSUE! I bet they lit the guy that wrote Uneasy scan see if he can find the issue?:(

The data is all based on user submissions, so send them what you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.