• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming troubles TK-630, it worked b4

Syntor-X9K

Hi,
I am trying to reprogram a TK-630. I did this several years ago, I think with the same pc and cable. The software reports, model type mismatch (it does this with no radio cable connected, too). I already reset the radio type to the correct type, and rechecked the comm port, without any luck.
I'm using a toughbook cf-47 and I've trid from a dos window or from dos directly. kpg7d. v2.01.
I dont have another radio to test with.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Got me on this one, as this is a bit before my time with the kenwoods.
I'd try another slower PC and see what you get, the CF-47 may still be a bit too fast for
the software.

a417

It reports a model type mismatch even before you attach the cabling and try to read? Is this the saved codeplug from your last time? I think the codeplug is corrupted, if that's the case.

NC4AB

Premium Subscriber
Some suggestions:

Before reading the radio make sure you have drilled down and selected the exact model / options under the "Model Tab"

First Level:
  • Basic 32ch
  • Basic 99ch
  • Basic 32ch AN
  • Basic 99ch AN
  • Full 32ch
  • Full 160ch
Second Level:
  • Single Control Head
  • Dual Control Head
Third Level:
  • Single Band
  • Dual Band
Forth Level:
  • UHF
  • VHF Hi
  • VHF Low
Fifth Level:
  • 29.7 - 37
  • 35 -43
  • 41 -50
  • SP Tune
The most common issue I have found is forgetting to select "SP Tune" for radios that have been taken out of band.

Syntor-X9K

I did drilled down and selected the exact model / options under the "Model Tab"

I retried using my IBM-PS2 (386/20), and this worked. Well sorta. I get error on the pc at 4k/ 62% (but everything seems OK on the radio (again sorta) - See below) . I just remembered that I switched control heads, do to a LCD panel problem (I move just the RAM to the new head). I bet that R33 is still in place on the newer head.

The new problem (likely R33 in the head), is that the newly created channel/mode/ alpha tags, didn't show up. I thought maybe that do to some banks being empty, that maybe it had a problem with the blank data, so I filled in the blank banks with some odd frequencies. However, older tags still remain in upper channels/groups. R33 in the head is my best guess...