Programming trunked frequencies into 246t

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
I have had scanners for a while, but have never tried to program trunked frequencies into them. I am currently using a BC246T. I would like to program this into my scanner: ESP Wireless #1 - 900 MHz (Chicago) Trunking System, Chicago, Illinois - Scanner Frequencies The specific talkgroup I want to program in is the one with the description: O'Hare Towing (Chicago).

The manual is too complex, so I was hoping that I could get some step-by-step instructions for programming this. PLEASE MAKE THIS SIMPLE, I DON'T KNOW ALMOST ANYTHING ABOUT TRUNKING!

Thanks for your help!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Unfortunately there is almost nothing simple about the new DMA scanners, but this should be a big help

Easier to Read BC246T Scanner Manual

But before you dive into this, might I suggest that you would be better served if you learn a little bit about how trunking works, and what this new 'DMA' or Dynamic Memory Architecture, is structured.

Go to the blue toolbar under the Scanner Master ad, float your mouse over Wiki and select Wiki Homepage I would recommend reading the Trunking Basics article in the Links for Newcomers section (about 1/2 way down on the right), and the first couple of topics - Dynamic Memory Architecture thru Trunking - in the Uniden DMA FAQ, found in the Popular Topics section.

It's good to know how things like this work, but better to understand why.

73 Mike

captclint

Mentor
The manual is too complex, so I was hoping that I could get some step-by-step instructions for programming this.
I assume you have made systems for conventional frequencies. By all means, read up on Trunking. Then, you are going to make a system folder called ESP "Wireless". Follow the steps here: Moto Systems It will be Motorola Type II. Follow all the links and steps as outlined. The group name could be ALL (All TGID's). When it comes to entering frequencies, you only need to enter the one in blue, but be sure the trunk system option is set for Control Channel only. You can ignore all steps after "To enter a Motorola Type II ID enter the ID and press E/Yes."
Enter your TGID 3869 for the towing group, and you should be set to go

Last edited:

JnglMassiv

I have to admit, this is suprisingly confusing to do by hand and there's a bit of conflicting/confusing/wrong info in the earlier replies and links. Since I'm in range of the system, I was able to detail the following sequence.

Code:
1.  From the scan/search mode, press ther side Menu key.
2.  Turn the indexed scroll knob (TSK) to select Program System and enter the menu by pressing down on the scroll knob.
3.  TSK to select New System and enter the menu.
4.  TSK to select MOT and enter the menu.
5.  TSK to select 900MHz band and enter the menu.  Confirm by pressing E/Yes.
6.  You can name the new system if you like.  I won't discuss that here.
7.  TSK to select Edit Sys Option and enter the menu.
8.  TSK to select Set Quick Key and enter the menu.  Key in the Quick Key of your choice and confirm with the Enter key.
9.  TSK to select Set C-Ch Only and enter the menu.  TSK to select On and confirm with Enter.
10. Back up one menu step by pressing Menu.  The scanner gives a brief double-beep.
11. TSK to select Set Frequencies and enter the menu.
12. Press Enter again for New Frequency and key in the control channel: 937.1500.  Confirm by pressing Enter.
13. Press the side Menu button several times to exit the menu.
I've been listening for an hour or so this afternoon and I've only heard activity on Talkgroup 61904. It seems to be a fairly busy system so you should be able to confirm the system is working pretty quickly, maybe a couple minutes. Initially, make sure the scanner has 'ID Search' scrolling across it while it monitors this system. I'll save talkgroup scanning for a future lesson.

ETA: Note that the database has the control channel wrong. Use 927.1500.

Last edited:

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! (Especially JnglMassiv)
I did exactly what you said, but I am still hearing nothing. The one thing I am wondering is my scanner will only except 937.150, but not 927.150 as the frequency, like you told me to change it to. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I know I am in range, but I don't hear anything! Thanks for your help!

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
937.15 is a correct freqy for this system, the CC's are 935.20, 938.1625, i copy this system ESP Wireless1-900mgz here very well in Joliet, ILL....There is not alot of activity on it except during the day....ID 61904 is O'hare towing Northlake...

pmstern

Don't despair. I am new to scanning and just purchased my first radio this past September, a BC246T, a radio which I really like. I have successfully programmed conventional and trunked systems manually through the radio. It is not that difficult as long as you understand how it works. It took me a few months before I attempted a trunked system.

What you can do, is after you set up the trunked system and enter the frequencies is have the radio search and store talkgroup IDs. The 246 can do that automatically. That's what I did. Since I live in New York City, there are many talkgroups to listen to. My radio picked up IDs that are not listed in this websites database. I have to figure out what they are to program the alpha tag.

Soon, I will start to program my second trunked system.

Status
Not open for further replies.