• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming Unication G5 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic29

Premium Subscriber
I just got a G5 and am looking to get it programmed for my chief. Our department is dispatched via VHF, then assigned to P25 trunking talkgroup for communication to dispatch.

I have a couple of questions:
1) We are dispatched by 2 different county dispatch centers, both on VHF, but separate frequencies; can I set the pager up to alert despite which county dispatches up? We have been using either minitor 5 or minitor 6 pagers and both of which allow you to be dispatched over multiple VHF frequencies. Meaning, if I have the pager in position 1, it monitors two frequencies and if it receives the proper tone sequence on either frequency it will alert the pager and record the message. I need to be able to duplicate this setup on the G5.

2) My dream, if possible, is to set the G5 up as described above, then once the pager has alerted it monitors a P25 talkgroup. Some have said this isn't possible, they say that each channel can only be set to either VHF or P25, but not both, thus it can't monitor the VHF frequencies and a P25 talkgroup, and alert from the tone sequence received on the VHF frequencies.

For those who know this pager intimately, let me know your thoughts to either or both questions.

Rianks,
Rick

N6ML

I just got a G5 and am looking to get it programmed for my chief. Our department is dispatched via VHF, then assigned to P25 trunking talkgroup for communication to dispatch.

I have a couple of questions:
1) We are dispatched by 2 different county dispatch centers, both on VHF, but separate frequencies; can I set the pager up to alert despite which county dispatches up? We have been using either minitor 5 or minitor 6 pagers and both of which allow you to be dispatched over multiple VHF frequencies. Meaning, if I have the pager in position 1, it monitors two frequencies and if it receives the proper tone sequence on either frequency it will alert the pager and record the message. I need to be able to duplicate this setup on the G5.

Assuming they're conventional systems on VHF, you should be able to program one knob position for each, and then a third knob position that scans both.

2) My dream, if possible, is to set the G5 up as described above, then once the pager has alerted it monitors a P25 talkgroup. Some have said this isn't possible, they say that each channel can only be set to either VHF or P25, but not both, thus it can't monitor the VHF frequencies and a P25 talkgroup, and alert from the tone sequence received on the VHF frequencies.

As far as I know, there is no way to do that.

BTW, it's not "VHF or P25" - it's "conventional or trunked" - you can scan across multiple conventional systems, but you cannot scan any combination involving a trunked system.

boatbod

Until very recently I was in the same situation as you; Tones on VHF, followed by simulcast of VHF and 700Mhz P25 dispatch voice. Unfortunately the G5 cannot monitor both conventional and trunked channels at the same time, so it's not possible to do exactly what you'd like. Best case you can copy the tones and vhf dispatch, then twist the channel knob to the trunked system to follow the conversation and tac channels. The catch is you won't receive alerts while you are doing this...

Luckily our local jurisdiction were eventually able to send P25 QCII tones as well, so now I have a whole set of channel positions which alert for those tones while monitoring the trunked system.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Dealer here.. this is how you will want to set this up:

If you are looking to setup both VHF Frequencies as a selective call, and only monitor the dispatch and nothing else:

Setup your 1st VHF Frequency as a selective call on a key (Example, Zone 1 / Key 1)
PS - I like to set the delay timer to 10 seconds, and then the second delay timer to 5 seconds.

Setup your 2nd VHF Frequency in another key. (Example, Zone 1 / Key 2)

Now setup a Silent Scan and pick Z1/K1 and Z1/K2 as the scan list. Put this into Z1 Key 3 for example.

Now when you are in Z1/K3, your pager will scan between the two VHF channels and only open squelch and alert when your tones come over. If another companies tones are alerted, the pager will remain in scan mode.

If you wanted to setup a scan where you can monitor both VHF channels regardless of tones:

Setup a monitor positions for VHF 1 (Ex Z1/ K4)

Setup a monitor position for VHF 2 (Ex Z1 / K5)

Then setup a normal scan for Z1/K4 and Z1/K5. You can place this in Z1/K6 as an example

As others have stated, at this time you cannot mix conventional and trunking into the same scan key.

The takeaway here is the G5 needs to have a frequency and mode defined once in a zone and key in order to be on a scan list. It doesn't matter if you map the scan list before the channels in the Z/K config, but it must be defined at least to a zone or key.
This is why you have to map VHF 1 as both monitor and selective call in order to create a normal scan or a selective call scan.

Also - you will need to map your tones on each frequency as well so the pager knows to look for them on that dispatch channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.