Programming Uniden BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

audrey31

Help!! My Mom has owned several scanners and I've always programmed them for her, even though my knowledge of scanners is very, very limited. She just bought a Uniden BCD996P2 off of Ebay and I'm absolutely clueless on trying to figure out how to program it. I've seen several posts about programming using RadioReference webservices or Freescan but I have no idea where or how to even start. Is there anyone who can walk this absolute dummy through on what to do? Thinking maybe I would be better off returning it and finding something less complicated. Help, please!!!

tvengr

Well Known Member
What is your mom's city, county, and state and which agencies does she want to monitor? I'll check the database to see what is available. Here is the link to FreeSCAN: FreeSCAN 2.18

Last edited:

audrey31

What is your mom's city, county, and state and which agencies does she want to monitor? I'll check the database to see what is available. Here is the link to FreeSCAN: FreeSCAN 2.18
The state is Iowa, I’ve have always programmed Muscatine, Louisa, Scott, Washington, Johnson and Cedar counties in. As far as agencies city police if possible for Muscatine, sheriff and fire for the other counties, the Iowa highway patrol, LEA, and Muscatine Co. Garage(road dept).

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
She just bought a Uniden BCD996P2 off of Ebay and I'm absolutely clueless on trying to figure out how to program it. I've seen several posts about programming using RadioReference webservices or Freescan but I have no idea where or how to even start.

There are much better choices than Freescan to program the BCD996P2. Both ARC-XT and Proscan have 30 day trials so you can try both of them and buy the one you prefer.

Some of the things you want to listen to are DMR (including Muscatine fire ops and the road department), and Freescan will not program those for you. You are much better off with Proscan. $50 for two installations and works with a number of different Uniden models.

audrey31

There are much better choices than Freescan to program the BCD996P2. Both ARC-XT and Proscan have 30 day trials so you can try both of them and buy the one you prefer.

Some of the things you want to listen to are DMR (including Muscatine fire ops and the road department), and Freescan will not program those for you. You are much better off with Proscan. $50 for two installations and works with a number of different Uniden models.
Thanks for your reply, I will check into that!

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
freescan is end of life and no longer supported, and proscan is much better and easier to use and only cost $50.00 for life.

you will be better off learning how to program the radio yourself that way you can change anything you want when ever you want.

audrey31

freescan is end of life and no longer supported, and proscan is much better and easier to use and only cost $50.00 for life.

you will be better off learning how to program the radio yourself that way you can change anything you want when ever you want.
Thanks!

tvengr

Well Known Member
Muscatine fire dispatch is analog. Fire ops and roads are DMR If you want to receive DMR, you will need the paid DMR upgrade for the BCD996P2. As mentioned earlier, FreeSCAN will not program DMR properly. If you don't get the DMR upgrade, you can use FreeSCAN and save some money. The Johnson Co sheriff is encrypted and cannot be monitored. If you want DMR, you will need ARC-XT or ProScan for your programming. I use ARC-XT, but can convert to ProScan or FreeSCAN.

audrey31

Muscatine fire dispatch is analog. Fire ops and roads are DMR If you want to receive DMR, you will need the paid DMR upgrade for the BCD996P2. As mentioned earlier, FreeSCAN will not program DMR properly. If you don't get the DMR upgrade, you can use FreeSCAN and save some money. The Johnson Co sheriff is encrypted and cannot be monitored. If you want DMR, you will need ARC-XT or ProScan for your programming. I use ARC-XT, but can convert to ProScan or FreeSCAN.
Thank you, think I will try either ARC-XT or ProScan.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Both have a 30 day free trial. I prefer ProScan, because it has more features than ARC-XT Basic, and costs less than ARC-XT Pro (which adds the logging and control that the Basic program does not have). Plus, ProScan works for a large number of other Uniden scanners, whereas ARC-XT is limited to the XT versions of the 396 & 996 scanners, and the 996P2 and 325P2.

But try both, and see which you like best.

Chris0516

Both have a 30 day free trial. I prefer ProScan, because it has more features than ARC-XT Basic, and costs less than ARC-XT Pro (which adds the logging and control that the Basic program does not have). Plus, ProScan works for a large number of other Uniden scanners, whereas ARC-XT is limited to the XT versions of the 396 & 996 scanners, and the 996P2 and 325P2.

But try both, and see which you like best.
Audrey, I second Steve's recommendation, because. I have the 325p2, I found Proscan to be more user-friendly and realistic(looks like an actual scanner). Arc-XT Pro's design. Reminded me of the days(thirty years ago), of when I was trained DBaseIV, Lotus 1-2-3, and Harvard Graphics.

Bob1955

Help!! My Mom has owned several scanners and I've always programmed them for her, even though my knowledge of scanners is very, very limited. She just bought a Uniden BCD996P2 off of Ebay and I'm absolutely clueless on trying to figure out how to program it. I've seen several posts about programming using RadioReference webservices or Freescan but I have no idea where or how to even start. Is there anyone who can walk this absolute dummy through on what to do? Thinking maybe I would be better off returning it and finding something less complicated. Help, please!!!
They are more complicated now due to trunking systems and DMR memory. The BCD-536HP MAY of been better for you since all you do is type in your zip code. How ever, it is much more in cost than the BCD-996P2 you have. I have the same scanner. Reach out to me for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.