• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming VX-4000 Kawa USB cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedcat

Trying to [re]program my VX-4000 with CE49 software, an old laptop running at 700Mhz with a fresh install of Win XP Pro. Got the radio-to-USB cable from Kawamall. Com port is set to match in Device Manager and CE49. Radio is in PC Clone mode. When I try to read the radio it starts to cycle through some hex code then comes up with a Time-Out error. I've tried three different computers, as I was told my other machines may have been running too fast. Any help will be most graciously appreciated.

ozzie

Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem. When I changed from a usb to a com port cable using a db com card in my PC it worked perfectly.

jedcat

Exchaning cables: Kawamall

Contacted Kawamall about this issue and the post. They offered to either exchange the cables or refund my purchase for the USB cable and let me purchase the COM cable, which is five bucks cheaper. Pretty nice to find a vendor like that. Once I get the new cable and give it a try I'll post results.
~R~

jedcat

Update

Got my serial cable from Kawa. Only took a few days to get here and cost about $18. Works perfectly. I did my reprogramming and radio is back in the patrol vehicle.

scott_mack512

I have the usb cable as well and can program the VX5500, but not the VX4000, any reason why it'll do the one but not the other? I keep getting the timeout error on computer or error_2 on the radio display. Thanks in advance

radio259

Most likely the firmware of the radio is too old. i had that issue also and ended up upgrading the firmware in my last VX4000 to the latest and greatest. Which I am not sure which version it is right now.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to my world.

I have been visiting many volunteer fire departments doing the wide to narrow switchover. In those travels I encounter every combination of model and firmware.

I have every variation of cable and software available. One radio this week took an hour and ten trial and error attempts to find the right combination. For the most part, later software versions are more forgiving and can use USB cables, but with some of the older radios I have to revert to V1 and a real serial port under 6.2 DOS.

Keep the faith. There is a combination that will work.

scott_mack512

I ended up purchasing a serial cable and also upgraged the firmware and was able to program just fine.
thanks to all that replied

Status
Not open for further replies.