Programming with the Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa52077

I have a digital handheld scanner from Radio Shack. I have not used it since it was bought in Feb because it seems complex to program. I have recently purchased the Win96 software and cord from Radio Shack and plan to get a susbcription to the database. My question is: Is this as simple as plug and play or is it complex to make it work. I have always had a dual trunking analog scanner that was never really programmed correctly but I could manually enter all of the freqs and it worked but this one seems to be a whole different animal. Having only played with the database a few months ago it looks like I plug in the cord to the computer and the scanner and pick the areas I want programmed and the program does the rest. Is it this easy?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have a digital handheld scanner from Radio Shack. I have not used it since it was bought in Feb because it seems complex to program.
Welcome to RadioReference.com - these newer radios are quite complex to program as the systems we monitor are getting more complex every day.

I have recently purchased the Win96 software and cord from Radio Shack and plan to get a susbcription to the database. My question is: Is this as simple as plug and play or is it complex to make it work. I have always had a dual trunking analog scanner that was never really programmed correctly but I could manually enter all of the freqs and it worked but this one seems to be a whole different animal.
It sounds like you have the PRO-96. I am not sure what you want to monitor, and whether or not it is digital or not, but what you want to monitor kind of dictates how complex the job of programming is. For example, even though you have a digital scanner, there is nothing stopping you from programming in a bunch of aviation or other "conventional" frequencies. Trunked systems are more complicated and adding digital voice is another level of complexity.

You will find that many of us here have a hobby of making these scanners work, and programming them; just as much as, or more so than, listening to them. Understanding the scanner is a part of the hobby for many. For those who just want to listen, programming is no fun at all. But newer software, other people in your area, etc can help.

Having only played with the database a few months ago it looks like I plug in the cord to the computer and the scanner and pick the areas I want programmed and the program does the rest. Is it this easy?
I will say no, although others may disagree. It does depend on the things you pick. I think there will be some editing required. Certainly that is a much easier approach and can get you started.

lisa52077

Thank you for the responses. I looked and the scanner this morning and it is a Pro 106. Will the Win 96 software that I purchased at Radio Shack work with this scanner?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Win96 sold at RS?? Someone should tell Don - he's missing out on revenue...

Anyway, no, Win96 is only made to work with the PRO-96 or PRO-2096. If the Pro-106 is indeed the scanner, then there are basically 3 choices - Win500, ARC500 or PSRedit500. They are all linked from this article (anything in blue is a link)...

Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki

and as also mentioned on that article, you will need a USB-serial converter - both GRE and RS has them, and AlabamaRS has supplied the address for the latest drivers. It's quite important to load these drivers and get things set up before you plug the scanner into the PC. We also have an article that discusses this process in our wiki here (even though it discusses XP as the OS, the basic idea of the steps remains the same, implementing them in different OS is just a bit different as to how you get to the various screens - we could use some Vista and Windows 7 data here...)

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

I would say start off with getting the USB device squared away before doing anything else. 73 Mike

lisa52077

Maybe it is not Win96. I went to RS and asked the guy for the software they sell to make the scanner work with the Radio Reference Database. He gave me a square clear package with what appears to be a USB cord in it. I said this is the software and he said yes. It was $35. I assumed it was Win 96. I'm so confused. I just want the scanner to work correctly. It used to be so simple, put in some frequencies and they worked.

lisa52077

Of the three softwares that will work with this scanner which one is the most user friendly. With just taking a quick look at the three in the article ARC500 looks the most user friendly but having never used something like this I would like the opinon of those who have experience with these. Thanks

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
if you buy the software you will get automatic updates once you get used to using it.but on the top of the tool bar once you download will have a help link to guide you through.I have the 106 and the biggest hurdle is for you to understand that the newer scanner technology uses memory not banks and that each entry is treated as an object so you can mix/match conventional and trunked talkgroups in any configuration you want!!!Take your time,read the manual 2-3times and have fun.

mikey60

Of the three softwares that will work with this scanner which one is the most user friendly. With just taking a quick look at the three in the article ARC500 looks the most user friendly but having never used something like this I would like the opinon of those who have experience with these. Thanks

This question get's asked a lot, and the basic answer is, it's up to you to decide...

All of the software packages out there provide a free trial period (typically 30 days) where you can try the program out for yourself and decide which of them work best for you.

Mike

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Maybe it is not Win96. I went to RS and asked the guy for the software they sell to make the scanner work with the Radio Reference Database. He gave me a square clear package with what appears to be a USB cord in it. I said this is the software and he said yes. It was $35.
The USB cable now sells for $34.97 and comes with a CD. This is NOT "software" to program the scanner, it is JUST THE CABLE required to do so.

The only software I've known RS to have which programs scanners is ScanCat(Lite). It is the WORSE SOFTWARE EVER CREATED TO DO THE JOB. Avoid it like the Swine Flu!

A lot of people think that they can install some programming software and it will lead them in to programming their scanner. It won't. You need to understand the basics of your scanner in order to program it correctly to meet your needs. The PRO-106 is one of the most complex scanners available today. It is not something you should expect to learn "overnight". Some "techies" take days or weeks to learn these things, that's how complex they are.

My suggestion for software is WIN500. But that's because I've used WIN92, WIN93, WIN95 & WIN97. I have used other software as well to program Uniden made scanners, but nothing has matched in ease of use. Then again, these programs were "easy" for me because I learned the scanner first.

Take your time and do as much reading as you can. Don't expect to grasp everything at once. Actually how much you need to know right away depends largely on what system you want to monitor. If you are only monitoring conventional channels, it will be the easiest. If you need to monitor a digital trunked system or two, that will be more difficult. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.