• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming XTL2500 for ham radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

fivetenzen

I have a xtl2500, correct cable and programming software- I can get into the radio, Thought It would be like other radio software I have used and with a little looking around be able to figure it out. But go into the radio and it had been wiped clean and everything is blank so nothing to go on. Not sure if it’s over my head or it overwhelMed me. I think if I had an example, and some pointers - it might be something I could figure out. Is it possible for someone to send me an example for a simplex freq. and a repeater input? If I’m asking to much or out of line, please just let me know. I’ve programmed lots of ham radios and scanners - had my amateur license since 95, I’ve installed Motorola radios, and everything else from A to Z as I have been a Mechanic for over 40 years. But never got into the programming of Motorola and interested in learning. This is my starting point. Thanks in advance for help and input. 73’s

wgbecks

It sounds initially like you're saying you can't read the codeplug from your XTL2500 but then you follow-up and say it's wiped clean. By wiped clean do you mean the codeplug has all defaults and no previous user specific programming? If so, this would be normal but there is no such thing as a completely whiped clean codeplug. The CPS software does not allow complete removal of any section whereby you have to at least create defaults before it will allow you to delete specifics.

If you can't actually read the codeplug then that is entirely a different problem. If that is the case what specific model XTL2500 radio, what programming cable, and what software specifically are you using?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
It sounds like he can read the radio, but that codeplug is blank. There should be at least one channel in the zone at the bottom. That channel references a personality at the top, which denotes whether the channel is p25, analog, signaling like MDC, encryption, etc. The frequency data and tone info is entered in the zone screen. Just make sure that the personality that the channel is utilizing reflects your parameters. So if you want to make the channel an analog for ham, make sure the personality is not set up for P25, encryption or other options that you do not want for that channel.

wgbecks

Fivetenzen,

If in fact you can read the codeplug then why don't you post it either here or to a cloud drive with a link that some of us interested in helping you can take a look to see what you actually have.

fivetenzen

Ok 😂 Saved cmdrwill thanks. Ok I came home and read the posts and started over, different radio Same model. xtl2500 type 2. - Got in and could go to all the tabs and see what was loaded, wish I had marked the other radio! I think I gained a lot of respect for Motorola tonight- wow just a lot of information. So spent most of my time looking not changing. Changed the name. And tried to upload the data. It error out with it (cannot write radio without Advanced Keys). Ok. I found that, I had that loaded (Bonus). But lost - so I need to read and get better educated in Motorola before I wear out my welcome here. So where is the best place to start, if Motorola school is not an option. I will keep looking and see if I can find a training manual, I think I need to back up and get some Motorola basic skill. I do recognize things, but not wanting to get things so screwed up i have a paperweight. So is there somewhere I can read so I don’t have to be spoon feed - I thank you all for the inputs, advice and patience but think I really need to better educate myself before asking Question after question. Thanks. V/r. Steve. KC7KET 73’s. Good night

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
If you don't have the key that locked the radio, you'll have to use an ASK removal tool.

fivetenzen

If you don't have the key that locked the radio, you'll have to use an ASK removal tool.
Is ASK removal tool loaded in Advanced Keys or can I go down load it? I have a factory Motorola programming disk, will ASK be there? Is it a number code I would load into advanced keys -then have both programs up and running? you have an example of the key, how many numbers or letters ? I might be able to find that out ? Thanks

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
ASK is an iButton on a USB dongle. If you don't have that, you will have to find the ASK Removal Tool. It is not a Motorola tool, so it will not be on MOL or inside CPS.

fivetenzen

ASK is an iButton on a USB dongle. If you don't have that, you will have to find the ASK Removal Tool. It is not a Motorola tool, so it will not be on MOL or inside CPS.
So it took me a little bit but have a dongle for the original radio programming and have been able to go change things - I have removed all the trunking programming on one radio and the display says unprogrammed. But with the dongle. Is there an easier way to go in and just remove the ASK, quickly - like just flip a switch or remove it. I had to go in and remove all the trunking Fred’s and talk groups physically. Or is that the only way. Can I just build a new code plug and reprogram my radios, without the ASK on it so it will be gone forever and I won’t have to mess with it Thanks in advance

fivetenzen

Nothing fishy. I’m trying to educate myself and very resourceful- I’ve done an awful lot for people with nothing in return- someone is trying to help me for once that’s all

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Nothing fishy. I’m trying to educate myself and very resourceful- I’ve done an awful lot for people with nothing in return- someone is trying to help me for once that’s all

If you have the dongle, in the CPS go to Radio Wide/General, and near the bottom of tab is Owner ID and Write Protect. Select None in the drop down, save the codeplug and write to the radio. That should clear the ASK requirement moving forward.

fivetenzen

If you have the dongle, in the CPS go to Radio Wide/General, and near the bottom of tab is Owner ID and Write Protect. Select None in the drop down, save the codeplug and write to the radio. That should clear the ASK requirement moving forward.
Thank You !

Status
Not open for further replies.