Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGFrick77

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a Uniden BC245xlt scanner. I have learned from this site that the scanner is "old". I just want to know if it can be programmed and how to do it. I have the manual, have cleared all info from the previous owner, and read the instructions. I am just at a loss as where to start. I just want to monitor police, fire, ems and maybe aircraft. Is it possible to get the cable for this scanner and download the frequencies I want to my computer and then send to the scanner? Would I be better off with a new scanner and would the new one be easy to program. I am not a computer genius, but I can do a lot on my computer. The book that came with the scanner just blows my mind.
BTW. I live in Charlotte.
Thanks!

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, you will need a digital capable trunking scanner to monitor public safety communications in Charlotte. Police, fire, and MEDIC use a 800 mhz P25 digital trunking system. See the link to the system below.

Charlotte / Mecklenburg County (Project 25) Trunking System, Charlotte, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

I would strongly suggest you read up about digital scanners and trunking technology in the Radio Reference Wiki (link at top of page).

You may still be able to use the BC245XLT to monitor commercial air bands.

yardbird

Not necessarily

You can still monitor Charlotte Fire, Mecklenburg Co. Fire, Medic, and Highway Patrol with a old scanner.

I have my Radio Shack Pro-97 programmed to the analog system and I use it everyday at work.

She picks up like a charm and with no problems.

Ture you will need a digital scanner for CMPD, Sheriff's office, and the agencies I listed above.

They are dispatching Charlotte Fire, County Fire, and Medic across both the anaolog and digital systems.

The highway patrol talkgroup is only heard across the old Char/Meck analog system, however the

highway patrol is patched with the Viper highway patrol digital talkgroups.

David

JGFrick77

Premium Subscriber
Scanner

I posted about programming my BC245 and have been convinced I need a newer model for Charlotte. Is it permissible for you to recommend a model I should get. It would need to be user friendly, maybe programmed through my computer. Also, many years ago, I had a scanner and it would "cut out" after the person stopped transmitting so I would get only a part of the conversation. It might then scan back to the same incident, or not. Do the new scanners allow me to hear the entire conversation? I am reading the info on this website, as advised, but would just like a little help.

Thanks!

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
Yardbird was right on that you can use your 245xlt to monitor some things. Eventually, the older analog trunked system will be decommissioned and you may want to look ahead to something that will last you awhile in the radio monitoring world.

As for a newer scanner to be programmed by computer, most of the digital models are probably programmed easier through a computer than by hand. There are so many models out there both older and current that would fit that description. I'm going to make a list of scanners below that could work for P25 Phase I digital (and a few for Phase II). I would suggest you read up on all of them here in the forums and wiki, see what features you would like, and determine how much money you're willing to put toward one. You can always find used/new ones on Ebay or might even find a new one in certain local retail outlets.

Uniden Portables: BC296D, BCD396T, BCD396XT, BCD436HP
Uniden Mobiles: BC796D, BCD996T, BCD996XT, BCD546HP

Radio Shack Portables: Pro 96, Pro 106, Pro 651
Radio Shack Mobiles: Pro 2096, Pro 197, Pro 652

GRE Portables: PSR 500, PSR 800
GRE Mobile: PSR 600

Whistler Portables: WS 1040, WS 1080
Whistler Mobiles: WS 1065, WS 1095 (soon to be released)

Other readers, my apologies if I left any models out.

I know this is a lot to digest. Let us know if you have other questions.

JGFrick77

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. I am reading the info on the site. Like most humans, I want the best for the least amount of money. And like most men, my last resort was to "read the instructions..........."

Status
Not open for further replies.