project 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5PCX

Grog said:
Uh, it already does.

My bad!!! Thought there was a differernce between the project 25 and APCO 25

Still trying to get a hold of all of this digitalcomms, it's new to me.

Thanks

Wes

bassmkenk2508

hey....,I think when he said Project 25, he was referring to the 700-Band systems that are Project 25 exclusive.

N5PCX, using Win96 you can extend the frequency recieve range to include the 700 PS band, but I dont believe it can trunk track the 700 band.

So, in short, not really. Only in a conventional mode can you monitor them.

Let us know if this helps.

-Bryan

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
N5PCX said:
Will the pro-96 have the ability by way of upgrades to decode the project 25 systems?
bassmkenk2508, you got to his real question.

N5PCX, the LATIE system in your state & area, New Orleans, is on 700mhz. It happens to be a Project 25 system. But the issue, as far as using the Pro-96 (or a -2096) is the 700mhz frequencies. Those models can be 'opened up' via the Win96 software to receive those frequencies as conventional channels, but they will not trunk-track in that band. As as been kicked around in a couple of other threads, there is apparently a hard-coded firmware restriction that prevents this.

Any modification would require a board exchange, meaning a trip back a to Radio Shack repair facility. The GRE manufactured scanners, which include the 96 & 2096, do not have firmware that the end user can update via a downloaded reflash file. No such plans have been announced, & I'd be a bit surprised if they were. It would be more likely that 700mhz trunking would be part of a future model, possibly one that would be released once the final result and counterpoint to rebanding has been determined. However, that's only speculation on my part. I have no contacts at Radio Shack to furnish any hints.

N5PCX

bassmkenk2508 said:
hey....,I think when he said Project 25, he was referring to the 700-Band systems that are Project 25 exclusive.

N5PCX, using Win96 you can extend the frequency recieve range to include the 700 PS band, but I dont believe it can trunk track the 700 band.

So, in short, not really. Only in a conventional mode can you monitor them.

Let us know if this helps.

-Bryan

Bryan,
You are correct, I was talking about the exclusive "Project 25 700 Mhz band that is part of the LATIE system here in Louisiana. So I suppose that there is a difference between the Apco 25 and Project 25? Anyway I will google or check out the Wicki page.

Thanks again for your help and everyone elses'

Wes

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
N5PCX said:
...So I suppose that there is a difference between the Apco 25 and Project 25? ...
Wes,

No, there isn't...well not from what you're thinking.

APCO25 is a set of standards (just like APCO16, etc.) approved by the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO). Project 25 is part of that standard, dealing with digital communications. The Project25.org site has a pretty good definition of Project 25.

Project 25 can be conventional or trunking. So it depends on context as to what one is talking about. Based on where you live the LATIE is a Project 25 trunking system. The JPSO Motorola system is not, but it uses P25 CAI (common air interface) digital modulation. For a trunking system to be a Project 25 trunking system, it must be using the 9600 bps control channel format.

Currently the only scanners that can trunk track the LATIE system (or any 700 MHz trunking system) are the Uniden BCD396T and BCD996T scanners.

bassmkenk2508

In the RR database, you will typically see "Project 25" with the 700 band trunked systems exclusive to the digital scheme (there may be some 800 banders, not sure).
"APCO-25" usually is identifying conventional freqs and other flavors of trunked systems which contain digital talkgroups of APCO-25 modulation, usually alongside analog talkgroups.

So, the terminology is just interchanged.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
bassmkenk2508 said:
[already answered above, :) ]
Well yes it was; however, your initial post did have a problem with it...Motorola and Project 25 have nothing to do with each other.

Motorola has a set of standards for their trunking systems (both Type I and Type II) including the Smartzone and OmniLink systems.

And Project 25 has a set of standards...they are not the same and they have nothing to do with each other.

Unfortunately, the scanner manufactures continue to link them (incorrectly) in both programming of scanners and manuals, so this confusion continues. :(

bassmkenk2508

loumaag said:
Well yes it was; however, your initial post did have a problem with it...Motorola and Project 25 have nothing to do with each other.

Motorola has a set of standards for their trunking systems (both Type I and Type II) including the Smartzone and OmniLink systems.

And Project 25 has a set of standards...they are not the same and they have nothing to do with each other.

Unfortunately, the scanner manufactures continue to link them (incorrectly) in both programming of scanners and manuals, so this confusion continues. :(

I realized assumptions of that degree are unwise, and should leave it to someone with more experience and learn something along the way :) And I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.