"Proper way of doing "business"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bee

Ordered an item from "Hobbytron" ($67.42) on 5-20-08, and recieved an E-Mail 5-21-08 stating that the item was on "back order".
It is now 5-31-08 and still have not recieved my order, and their web site, shows it to still be on back order..

I now have my bank statement, and it shows that "hobbytron" has withdrawn the, $67.42 on 5-21-08. It is now 5-31-08.

Is this "proper"--"legal"--"common", way of doing business?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
bee said:
Is this "proper"--"legal"--"common", way of doing business?

Yep. Proper. legal, and common, does not always equate to customer satisfaction.

SCPD

QRT
My thoughts:. Not proper but probably both legal.and common, I would not withdraw funds from account until goods were actually shippedRead mail
. Web site could be misleading Ie out of date. ANY questions try calling them on the phone

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
That's often done by companies who operate on a shoestring budget and don't have any money of their own to pre-purchase merchandise. You want something. They get your money. They find a place that offers the product and purchase it with your money at a discounted price. They get it delivered to them and then ship it (or they have it shipped directly to you). Of course that's not always how it works - but quite often.

Let's say I work a full time job somewhere else and have a small business on the side selling scanners - it's not a brick and mortar operation - it's a virtual storefront. I don't want to take any major amount of my money to fund htis enterprise so I find places that will sell me the equipment I want to sell at a discount. I advertise that I have the items for sale. Somebody then wants to buy something from me. I charge their card, take their money, purchase the equipment from another place. I ship ro have it shipped to you after I take my little cut off the top. I don't do this - it's just a scenario.

Mike

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
mtindor said:
That's often done by companies who operate on a shoestring budget and don't have any money of their own to pre-purchase merchandise. You want something. They get your money. They find a place that offers the product and purchase it with your money at a discounted price. They get it delivered to them and then ship it (or they have it shipped directly to you). Of course that's not always how it works - but quite often.

Let's say I work a full time job somewhere else and have a small business on the side selling scanners - it's not a brick and mortar operation - it's a virtual storefront. I don't want to take any major amount of my money to fund htis enterprise so I find places that will sell me the equipment I want to sell at a discount. I advertise that I have the items for sale. Somebody then wants to buy something from me. I charge their card, take their money, purchase the equipment from another place. I ship ro have it shipped to you after I take my little cut off the top. I don't do this - it's just a scenario.

Mike
As they cant pre-purchase the goods for themselves before puting on the shelves

DPD1

I don't know if the company in question is doing it, but it's called drop shipping. Unfortunately it's one of the pitfalls of internet business now days. I can understand having delays, but I do believe it should be known up front. I fell for it a couple times myself with vendors. I ordered parts from one and each type of item started showing up from different companies. Unfortunately half the order didn't show up for a few months. I finally got hold of the original vendor and it was obvious to me that it was just some guy running a website from his place. I doubt he had a single piece of inventory. This method is also a popular way of selling with the 'make money on the internet' book/video type crowd.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist

bee

Thanks for the information and response. (Although it must be legal) My believe is that--a company should not take money, untill an order is shipped! In their "defense", they did say "supply was limited". But, "thats not much of a defense"!

57Bill, it looks as I have done what you have described, and gave them an "interest free loan"!
By the way, I placed this order on the phone, not on the "net".

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.