• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Properly setup Baofeng UV5R on my work system

Status
Not open for further replies.

dictoresno1

Trying to get this radio properly set up. We have one base station/repeater and 250 Motorola HT1250 radios on a 460 mhz channel. I have my agency's frequency plugged in and the radio receives it perfectly fine. RadioReference lists a DPL code of 411, and see another frequency listed under our license as 465 mhz. Is that the transmitter frequency? I have the DPL 411 code manually entered in on the keypad and I had it set it up through Chirp. Now the radio keys up and it sounds like an open mic on my work radio but no sound is transmitted.

So I assume it's triggering the repeater properly but as stated no sound is transmitted. Can someone walk me through the settings either on Chirp or manually on the keypad to get the radio to properly key up the repeater.

Apparently we are getting new radios and going all digital. But our old radios still work with the new base station/repeater. Don't know if this is causing the radio to not transmit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Offhand I would guess that you need to program the Baofeng to transmit on 465 MHz (with a DPL 411) and receive on 460 MHz.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
If you are holding both handhelds, you may have your radio programmed correctly. With the radios that close, you are likely experiencing what is often called 'desense' (the nearby transmitter is 'overloading' the receiver). I would suggest you test the unit with someone else some distance away. Switch between the two units and see if the Baofeng works. Normally the lower frequency is the repeater output and the higher is the input. Make sure you are authorized to transmit on the frequency(ies) in question and that the radio is programmed correctly. Another thing to check is that the Baofeng is programmed for 'narrow' FM. 'Normal or 'wide' FM is no longer used (or authorized) and will likely cause the repeater to reject the DPL.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Trying to get this radio properly set up. We have one base station/repeater and 250 Motorola HT1250 radios on a 460 mhz channel. I have my agency's frequency plugged in and the radio receives it perfectly fine. RadioReference lists a DPL code of 411, and see another frequency listed under our license as 465 mhz. Is that the transmitter frequency? I have the DPL 411 code manually entered in on the keypad and I had it set it up through Chirp. Now the radio keys up and it sounds like an open mic on my work radio but no sound is transmitted.

So I assume it's triggering the repeater properly but as stated no sound is transmitted. Can someone walk me through the settings either on Chirp or manually on the keypad to get the radio to properly key up the repeater.

On the UHF bands, a 5MHz offset between the transmit and receive frequencies is pretty common.
You would need to set up your radio this way:
Receive: 460.xxxx
Transmit: 465.xxxx
The 411 DPL was probably received by a scanner listener, so that's likely what you need to put on the -receive- side, but it is not required, you can leave the receive side set to carrier squelch, but you may end up hearing things you don't want.
As for the DPL on the transmit side, you can try a DPL of 411, but it is entirely possible it's different.

Apparently we are getting new radios and going all digital. But our old radios still work with the new base station/repeater. Don't know if this is causing the radio to not transmit.

Many digital repeaters can be set up to run in analog mode, so this may be whats happening. They can often be programmed to run in "mixed" mode, which means if it hears an analog signal, it'll retransmit that analog signal. If it hears a digital signal, it'll retransmit a digital signal.
Eventually when they swap out all those radios, they'll migrate everything to digital. Your radio will not work with a digital system.

dictoresno1

I've tried a couple times. I've entered in everything properly as far as I can see and saved it to the radios memory but I get the same thing. Radio keys up my work radio and sounds like an open mic, but nothing transmits. It's as if the mic is silent.

dictoresno1

So given all the information here, what should my chirp settings look like for each setting to make it work? Also, still can't figure out why the radios key up but just doesn't transmit anything.

Sconnick

What agency? It would be easier to help if we could see the Radio Reference entries.

mmckenna is right - RR will give you a receive (decode) DPL, but it's entirely possible that the transmit (encode) DPL is different. And that information isn't listed in RR.

Status
Not open for further replies.