Jay, N0MDF
Peter, N1YNY
Richard, W8PRR
Jimmy, KB5FSV
Rich76 (unknown callsign)
jcherepy (unknown callsign)

nexus

w8prr said:
Love to have an HF net. 40 might be better if you can operate t here.

I think 40 sounds like the best bet, it seems to be good during both day and night. Now the question would be, which is easier for this, a daytime or nighttime activity? And would something like maybe afternoon on a weekend be better or only try for a weekday/night?

gcgrotz

eorange said:
And that's the right attitude!

I am Extra ready...like Jay said, just let us know the sked.

And do like I did...now that you're in the studying mode, go right on to the Extra. You'll find there's overlap in the material between General and Extra, so it's a smooth transition into studying for the Extra.

And the best part is you never have to worry about taking that test again!

I'd be up to try a net on 40 but I won't have an antenna up until late fall when the leaves go away. Maybe a net thread could be "sticky'd" so we can easier keep up with the progress.

And BTW, listening to Radio New Zealand right now at 08:30 edt on 9870 at s9 to +10 with a PAR EF-SWL stapled to the wooden fence.

jay427

You may be suprised,

I have been doing the VE thing every month for the past 8 years or so and if a person past the test they are taking a alway encourge them to take the next one, what the heck it does not cost them anything and at the least they get a look at it. I have had some people pass it without looking at the book, they will pass by one or two questions but they pass.

So go for it and take it.

weekday evening or weekend AM for the net works best here

Jay, n0mdf

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Ditto to jay427...three folks(one guy, two women) took the TECH when I was in there for my EXTRA...they were offered the GENERAL and the two women passed it. But of course they still have the code to go.

40 sounds good to me...AM is good for me. I am either out of town working, or sitting here at the desk scanning and always have the HF rig on.

And despite the QRP on my sig, I will crank up the power for reliable communications!!!!

OK, I am wishy-washy, but when it is important, QRP is frustrating.

k9swx

Feed Provider
I could do 10m as well. (that's the only antenna I have up right now that doesn't require a tuner) ;) I'm currently trying to get my car equipped with an HF setup, but the trunk mount that I bought isn't supportive enough for the Hustler deal. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do. It's either get a nifty quad-magnet mount and keep the Hustler setup, or try a hamstick at a lovely 7-8 ft. (feel free to PM if you have thoughts on this, don't want to hijack the thread)

But yeah, a 10m net would be sweet if the band cooperates. It seemed dead yesterday afternoon/evening, but Sunday night I believe it was doing well. The K2QH repeater out of NY was coming in around 30 or 40 over 9 on my 706. (I had to make sure I wasn't on 2m!) I usually leave my rig on 28.400 when I'm not scanning around listening to other bands. I'll listen tonight after 4:00pm central to see if I hear anything. According to the DX cluster, it appears there are a few spots being reported on 15, 12, and 10m so might be fun to listen to tonight. (need to get 4O3T up on 10m so I can work em... nevermind, looks like they were up there!)

4O3T 1855Z 28490.0 QSX 28495.00 full call only W6BH

A few years back right after I upgraded to general I really had a ball on 10m. So I can't wait for it to open back up and even now it's fun to listen for the smaller openings. I haven't been on HF since 2004, but about 10 days ago I purchased a used Icom 706MKII rig so I'm all excited again. ;)

nexus

Those are some good points. I never thought about it but if taking both exams at the same session only costs $14 then WHY NOT? The worst that will happen is you fail the test, and you'll just have to retake it (no real penalty). I might start practicing the EXTRA exam as well. I don't have the study guide, and won't before I go take the exam but I might go ahead and just take both tests since I'm not doing anything else better that night. heh.

Stan, thats ok, no worries on highjacking the thead. I like to see the activity. I'd love for something to happen on 10 too. What kind of restriction do you have with putting up a simple wire dipole? I monitor 29.620 in the car on the FT8900R all of the time and most days lately it seems like I hear activity on the K2QH repeater. Some days the signal is over half of the bars on my smeter. Oh and that's on a 1/4 wave 2meter antenna. LOL... I can only imagine what it would be like with an antenna for 10 meters. I hear NY, NJ, FL, SC, TX stations talking through it all the time. Just as if it were a local 2 meter repeater. It's WILD. I'm even picking it up on an old Bearcat BC-145XLT scanner with back of set antenna sitting on my dresser in the house.

jay427

Well got a chace to get on last night and 40 was a mess as usual and 20 mteters was a little dead but not to bad, I would sugest 20 if possible.

Jay, n0mdf

nexus, get it done, will see you on 20:)

nexus

K3GI, this morning on the way home from work I was listening to several stations talking through a repeater in NY on 29.620 FM. I should of realized there was going to be a band opening. Sadly I was asleep when you made that post.

K3GI

Nexus, oh well, that's the way it goes. We can't get all the band openings. It lasted quite a while. From here in Delaware I worked WI,KY,GA, and SC. It seemed open west and south from here. Some people were working north, but I couldn't here the New England/New York stations.

Lee, K3GI

nexus

There is an opening for me right now down here. But I can't work anyone on it because a severe thunderstorm is rolling in from the gulf right over the top of my house. I have everything disconnected right now. I think this thing will blow over in an hour or so and then I'm going to see what's happening on the band.

nexus

R.R. Round Table!

Ok everyone....

Lets try this out shall we? I know several of you were up for a net. I passed my General element on Tuesday the 8th (100% passing score) so now we can do this on something other than 10 meters.

TIME: 08:00 Central Standard Time
DATE: Saturday 12 August 2006
FREQ: 7.285.0 kHz LSB (+/- 10 khz for QRN)

At 0800 Central (1300 Zulu) I'll come up on frequency and call for any station wishing to check in for the radio-reference group. If you're on frequency please call up with your full callsign, name, and also if you have a userid different from your name/call on here please provide that as well. After everyone has had a chance to check-in we'll begin a round-table with each station having a chance to speak. I'd like to keep this informal as much as possible. I'm open for suggestions as well.

NON-hams, and HAMs who do not possess General or higher tickets are welcomed to listen in, and discuss the activities on this thread. I'll most likely be on the forum during net time. I will QSL anyone who can confirm reception. So hope to see as many of you who can make it.

Jimmy...

nexus

I'm on 20 meters right now, 40 is too noisy. Was listening to some DX on 14.316 just a second a second ago. I'm excited to give this a try.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Congrats and great job!! (I too had 100% on the General, missed 3 on the Extra).

I will try to make the net, can't guarantee it but if I'm available I'll be there.

K3GI

I was on this morning 1300Z at 7.285 mhz. Erik (eorange - KA3FYU) was there too, but we didn't hear anyone else. Let's try again.

Lee, K3GI

nexus

Sorry about that. The unexpected occured, I had a blow out on the way home from work this morning around 7 AM. I wasn't able to make it home until after 10 AM and when I did get on the radio a YL was on freq running a net. Glad to see you two were able to talk to eachother. I really wanted to do this thing too. We'll have to try again for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.