Proposed HF NET for radioreference

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexus

I was wondering if anyone on here with HF privilages would be interested in having a meet-up on 10meters SSB some time? Would there be anyone interested in participating?

K3GI

With where we're at in the sunspot cycle, 10 meters would not be a good band unless everyone was relatively close. But I'd be willing to give it a try. I'm in Delaware.

nexus

That is the problem. 10 meters right now is so unpredictable. The last couple of days I've been making contacts. I talked to someone in Norman OK, and another in Ohio. I heard stations in NC and NV talking to one another, and I also heard one station working some in WA.

Today's SFI is 71 and thats pretty high considering....

The only reason why I mentioned 10meter was because that's the only place I have HF phone priv. (for the time being)

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I'd still like to give it a try; I've never done 10m before (usually 40m and 75/80m). Just remember, enough power can solve any propagation problem. :wink:

nexus

well I have 50 watts and a wire dipole up 25 feet. I just checked the band 20 minutes ago for beacons and didn't hear any. If I start to hear some I'll probably come back on here and see about making an announcement. At least to give a freq I'll be monitoring and sit around it awhile.

I've been running practice exams on QRZ.com for several weeks now and I'm passing most of the practice runs I do. usually 80% or better. I've been reading the general exam manual and going over the exam question pool. I'm planning on taking my general soon. If that happens maybe we could get something going on 40 meters.

nexus

I just went back and I'm picking up this beacon right here:
28.2836 mhz KC9GNK WISCONSIN DELLS, WI. 40W, Ringo VERTICAL
I was listening to it on 28.282.0 CW and it was coming in 5x6 to my QTH (em50qj)

eorange

Go for the General! I'm sure you won't have any trouble passing especially with your operating experience.

I will listen for 10m beacons too. The max I can run is 200w on a vertical; not sure how much power is "average" for a good 10m QSO. I typically run 100w or less on my 40m and 80m QSOs.

nexus

well I would think if I'm getting a beacon in Wisconsin and you're in Ohio the pathway between you and I would be good.. If you're still here I'd be willing to give you a try on 28.4000 in the next few minutes. My Kenwood TS-450 is a 100 watt radio but I keep it down to about 50 watts or less. When 10 meters is open you don't need much power at all. I often listen to the repeater on 29.620 FM in New Jersey and they have hams in NY on handitalkies getting into it talking to stations in florida all the time. It seems like an every day occurance. Usually I'll listen to 29.620 to see if the repeaters come up, or down around 28.2 to 28.3 CW for the beacons.

Sunday there must of been 10 or 15 beacons I heard. That was when I made those contacts in Oh and WA.

Oh and thanks.. I intend to. I'm not waiting any longer for Cycle 24 to come along. I'm missing all of these special events, contests and nets I want to check into on HF. Back in the late 80's and early 90's I tore it up on 10 meter phone. I did a lot of operating, and then by the middle 90's I got out of it, and then moved from the station in the late 90's and of course the band went to pot. Now I'm back home, I want to use the radios again and find it a challenge.

Last edited:

jay427

Sounds like fun, I agree on the band, 40 or 20 would be better, but what the heck I will give 10meters a look.

Jay

Mpls, Mn

nexus

How many people who responded to this in here are General or higher?

I'm going to be getting my /AG on the 8th of August. Yes I know that sounds a little conceited on my part, but I'm confident when I go to take the test on the 8th I'll pass. I've been studying the book left and right, and have been using 2 different online practice exams and passing in the 80's each time.

Anyhow, who here has General or higher? If we have enough people who are general maybe we can go ahead and start something on 40 meters shortly after I get my upgrade. I'd be more than willing to start the net, it could be very informal and just round-table style. I would of loved to have used 10 meters, but agreed, the conditions just don't seem to be stable enough for it.

jay427

Extra Class here,

You won't regret getting your general, heck after you get your general you should not stop there, go for the extra.

I have been a extra for about the last 10 years, its been a lot of fun, always somthing new to try.

let us know the sked for the net, will do my best to get on

Jay, n0mdf

eorange

nexus said:
...but I'm confident when I go to take the test on the 8th I'll pass.
And that's the right attitude!

I am Extra ready...like Jay said, just let us know the sked.

And do like I did...now that you're in the studying mode, go right on to the Extra. You'll find there's overlap in the material between General and Extra, so it's a smooth transition into studying for the Extra.

nexus

You know, its funny that you guys mention that, because a couple of days ago I was thinking to myself that, "WHY NOT GO ALL THE WAY!" I actually took one practice exam for extra and of course failed, but surpisingly to me I got more answers correct without ever cracking a manual. So most of the common knowledge questions I can answer without little to no studying, and the rest I can get a manual to study.

But yeah, I was sitting there thinking, why settle for only a portion of the HF bands. I can take an additional 50 question test and get the entire band. So my plan is go to take the general exam on the 8th and then I'll begin studying for the Extra class. I've had a lot of HF exposure over the years. This including Extra class priviliages using a control operator, for example Field Day 2006. I ran GOTA station W5NO with extra priviliges, and even with the crappy band conditions and QRM from adjacent HF operations in the same building I managed 215 QSOs between 40 and 20 meters. I've done this several times throughout the years. And of course operated 10 meters (novice) under my own callsign.

I'm ready to use the bands under my own callsign now. The best incentive to get someone to upgrade, LET THEM OPERATE FOR A WHILE. That will help it out a lot. Anyhow speaking of 10 METERS, Its WIDE OPEN right now. At least for EM50. In the last 2 hours I've counted something like 30 beacons.

10 METERS IS OPEN AND ITS 10:21AM CST TUES 25TH... SO I'M GOING TO PUT THE RADIO ON 28.480.0 USB ANYONE FEEL FREE TO GIVE ME A CALL.

nexus

OK everyone....

10 METERS IS WIDE OPEN RIGHT NOW JULY 25TH and its 10:37 AM CST.

I'm fixing to head out the door, got to go do some things but if the band holds up today
and if anyone wants to lets try for 2PM CST today on 28.480.0 USB.

My call is KB5FSV I'll be monitoring at 2PM 1900Z

Status
Not open for further replies.