TRX-2: Pros and Cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand. Aren't they the same scanner, just packaged differently? (Base/mobile vs handheld?)
Mostly the same. The trx-2 has the ability to use the knob as volume or squelch, either by programming via ezscan or just pushing the knob. Other then that programming is identical. But that doesn't mean you can clone the trx-1 and it will 100% work..tweaking may be needed to dial in as it really is another scanner.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Mostly the same. The trx-2 has the ability to use the knob as volume or squelch, either by programming via ezscan or just pushing the knob. Other then that programming is identical. But that doesn't mean you can clone the trx-1 and it will 100% work..tweaking may be needed to dial in as it really is another scanner.

hmmm... so you can‘t program the TRX2 with the same “instance/copy” of EZScan for the TRX1? I was going to just maintain one copy of EZScan/programming, for both radio’s.... can’t do that?

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Specifically on the TRX-2 you have to do some silly steps to access the scanner. I've already forgot most of this but I believe you have to remove DC power from the scanner and THEN you can access the scanner (and connect to EZSCAN) via the USB cable. So if I have my TRX-2 mounted in a fixed position then I need to remove power each time..? This is a major design flaw IMHO.

I guess most TRX-2 users just remove the SD card and access it that way -- but I don't do that.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
hmmm... so you can‘t program the TRX2 with the same “instance/copy” of EZScan for the TRX1? I was going to just maintain one copy of EZScan/programming, for both radio’s.... can’t do that?

Nope you can't. This is another bug-a-boo. You CAN simply create an archive of your TRX-1 EZSCAN data (zip file) and open the TRX-2 EZSCAN and import it -- so you don't have to do any new programming on the TRX-2...

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Nope you can't. This is another bug-a-boo. You CAN simply create an archive of your TRX-1 EZSCAN data (zip file) and open the TRX-2 EZSCAN and import it -- so you don't have to do any new programming on the TRX-2...
You may still have to tweak settings in order to optimize your reception YMMV, it still is a different scanner. They did not just stick a TRX-1 board inside a TRX-2.

djs9164

I like both of my TRX-2 radios. I don't monitor NXDN but, the radio tracks the multi-site Motorola DMR trunked system in my town with no trouble. In fact, friends of mine marvel at the abilities of my TRX-2 compared to some of their more expensive gear. One of them even struggles to monitor the local trunked DMR system with his Motorola-brand handie-talkie. I like the removable control head. From my reply to a previous such question:
    1. Having all the entitlements in-place when you purchase. No need to purchase anything additional if you want to explore monitoring other modes.
    2. Updateable onboard database that is easily loaded from the front panel, if you're in need of a rough-and-ready monitoring of a new area.
    3. Small magnetically-mounted remote head for easy mobile installation. It's the only part of my TRX-2 you can see anywhere in my car and takes very little dash space. Concerned about theft? Take it off the mount and stow it. Radio will run without the head attached, once started.
    4. "object-oriented" configuration which allows for much flexibility in scanning, if you choose.
    5. Front-of-radio headphone jack.
    6. LED alert for specific talk groups or frequencies, if you choose.
    7. Easy to remove previously-skipped channels.
    8. I like the search options: spectrum sweeper, service search, limit search, tuning.
    9. V-scanner!
    10. I like that it will play a busy signal sound (if I choose) for encrypted channels. Just so I know something's going on.
  1. Don't like?
    1. I wish I could create new virtual scanners from the front panel.
    2. I think it's slow. I haven't measured this and, it could be my configuration but, it doesn't seem to swap through channels very quickly.
    3. The painfully long boot-up time. Although, that also could possibly be improved through some attention to my configuration.
  2. Why you bought the TRX-2 over the Uniden models?
    1. I have a bit of a history with GRE scanners (the design company that market scanning receivers under their own name as well as quite a few for Radio Shack). I still use my well-loved PSR-500 nearly daily. Whistler Group purchased the intellectual property from GRE when they were no longer able to carry on as a viable business. That IP is much of what we see in Whistler scanning receivers.
    2. The TRX-2 was a better value for me as it included all the modes that interested me as well as the database updates.
  3. How is it on simulcast?
    1. Uncertain. There are strong opinions about this but, I don't know that I have any experience with it. Not all areas have services with multicast radio systems. And, even if you are in a multicast area, your experience with it is likely going to be determined by your location and your configuration of the receiver.
  4. I love using both of my TRX-2 receivers, one in my vehicle and, one in my home.
In the EZ scan software, create virtual scanner files, name them set a bandwidth and don't put ant channels in. You can then browse to those virtual scanners and chose browse files. Its a workaround but will allow you to create a virtual scanner on the fly.

beischel

Just purchased a TRX-2 would like to know pros and cons on it before it arrives.

The bad - Lousy P25 Simulcast decoding. Slow scan rate. Does not allow third-party software for programming the scanner; Whistler provided software is horrible.

The good - Has DMR and NXDN capability already included, you don't have to pay extra.

I had to go to Uniden SDS200 for P25 reception. The TRX-2 is now only used for DMR, NXDN, FM and AM scanning.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I've already forgot most of this but I believe you have to remove DC power from the scanner and THEN you can access the scanner (and connect to EZSCAN) via the USB cable.

That doesn't sound right. I don't have a TRX-2 but I do have a WS1095. If you turn it off, then you can mount the SD card on a PC. You can access it serially while it's on. You don't have to pull power, just shut it off.

gtaman

I had a TRX-2 for a minute before I got one hell of a deal on an SDS200. The audio on the TRX is way better in my opinion on DMR and NXDN. The trunk tracking isn’t “real” trunk tracking on non P25 system but honestly it did a really good job especially in CON+. The remote head is nice because you can cut an Ethernet cable to any length and extend the head as much as you want.

I mostly used it for railroad and DMR/NXDN.

I hate the software and the functionality of the scanner isn’t the best. But it’s compact which is nice. Cold start boot takes forever but now that I have an SDS200 it’s about the same. (I really hate card based scanners)

Honestly it’s up to you.

I still prefer my BCD996P2 over anything. That scanner would sell like fire if it had the correct hardware in it for LSM.

georgesharpe

I have both the Whistler TRX 1 and 2, and I also have the BC996 P2 and the BC 325 P2. I can attest to occasional bad P25 reception, but it is not a problem all that often. I think there is something hidden in the "Expert" features that I am missing out on, as the manual does not explain everything you need to know. The big plus for the Whistler units is they can record and playback. Slow scan speed yes. And the boot up is terrible. My Unidens. Well, they truly "Rock" in every way, and no complaints there. My BC 325 is my "go to" field radio. Lightweight, easy to carry, and it is no bother to keep an extra pair of batteries in a dedicated pocket. For air band the Unidens knock the Whistlers right "out of the park".

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I haven't said anything here but interesting thread. Although I always liked the PRS 800 + proposed 900 years and years ago it is old technology.

I sold my TRX 2 and TRX-1 is in a drawer with the batteries removed. If the trx1 nxnd worked on my area nxdn 48 2 site system without missed transmissions and I was able to pick up my P2 simulcast system which the radio doesn't work a lick on it would be a dream scanner. I have tried every possible adjustment that I could on my simulcast system and it just will not work. The nxdn doesn't work well, I'm sure it works great for some people but it doesn't work on my system.

The Cosmetic changes Whistler made like the keyboard that it should have always had are very nice. Again if it worked well on the two systems I need, it would be my go-to scanner and would be a dream. So small and compact, after I removed the spare tire rubber thingy the first day. LOL. It has great audio and I like the display.

I have the 100 and 200 and obviously they work very well on simulcast and nxnd which is licensed and that's what you pay for. If you know how to use the filters properly and accurately it is very good on VHF UHF excetera.

It is clearly a slow scanner secondary to the SDR chip so they say. Early on a firmware update slowed scanning down even more for better performance. You can optimize your programming of simulcast systems and sites to try to get the best scan rate you can but when you're combining more than one system along with conventional objects it's a long trip to circle back to a response LOL.

Again I would love a trx-1 that could pick up my P2 simulcast system, that would be a dream scanner. I'm sure it works for some people due to the nature of their system but it just doesn't work for my system or any of the tdma P2 simulcast systems in my area.

georgesharpe

A year ago, I had my TRX-1 in Houston. It was deaf on everything except for some conventional Sheriff and Fire Channels. It did work 100% on the Metrolinx, Halton and Toronto systems, though, when I got up there.

Ubbe

Scanning speed for trunked system will be totally dependent of the hold or dwell time set. Conventional channels are scanned and carrier detection are done to see if scanning has to be stopped and then any subtones or digital signals are trying to be detected and matched to what has been programmed. Trunked systems are scanned in the same way with a carrier detect. If there's no carrier on a control channel frequency then scan speed will be as fast as conventional. But usually you are within coverage and there's a constant carrier on the control channel. It will then use the hold or dwell timer to sit on the control channel and decode the datastream for the time set, waiting for a call grant to appear.

When scanning trunked systems you would like to hear the dispachers call but probably also any answers for that call. You then have to use the delay time for the talk group to set that timer long enough to also hear the response and the conversation going back and forth without the scanner continuing to next system anytime there's a 2 sec pause. It will probably be system dependent how long the timer should be but probably 5 sec or longer. If you only want to hear one transmission from either party without a need to follow the whole conversation and then want to scan other systems as quickly as possible, you can then use a shorter hold and dwell as well as a short or no delay time.

Whistler has an advantage in system types where it trunk tracks the voice channels, like DMR Cap+ and TierIII, as it scans right thru the system in full scan speed if there's no activity and doesn't need to sync and decode the control channels datastream for a one or two seconds even when the system sits idle.

The SDS200 uses an almost identical receiver chip as the SDS100 so it probably also have been locked to a max scan speed of 45ch/s.
That TRX-2 had 60ch/s and a Uniden 436 has 80ch/s and it's probably the same in a 536.

/Ubbe

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Scanning speed for trunked system will be totally dependent of the hold or dwell time set. Conventional channels are scanned and carrier detection are done to see if scanning has to be stopped and then any subtones or digital signals are trying to be detected and matched to what has been programmed. Trunked systems are scanned in the same way with a carrier detect. If there's no carrier on a control channel frequency then scan speed will be as fast as conventional. But usually you are within coverage and there's a constant carrier on the control channel. It will then use the hold or dwell timer to sit on the control channel and decode the datastream for the time set, waiting for a call grant to appear.

When scanning trunked systems you would like to hear the dispachers call but probably also any answers for that call. You then have to use the delay time for the talk group to set that timer long enough to also hear the response and the conversation going back and forth without the scanner continuing to next system anytime there's a 2 sec pause. It will probably be system dependent how long the timer should be but probably 5 sec or longer. If you only want to hear one transmission from either party without a need to follow the whole conversation and then want to scan other systems as quickly as possible, you can then use a shorter hold and dwell as well as a short or no delay time.

Whistler has an advantage in system types where it trunk tracks the voice channels, like DMR Cap+ and TierIII, as it scans right thru the system in full scan speed if there's no activity and doesn't need to sync and decode the control channels datastream for a one or two seconds even when the system sits idle.

The SDS200 uses an almost identical receiver chip as the SDS100 so it probably also have been locked to a max scan speed of 45ch/s.
That TRX-2 had 60ch/s and a Uniden 436 has 80ch/s and it's probably the same in a 536.

/Ubbe
So I did fool around with dwell time on the TRX. I'm assuming if you leave it on auto it's going to adjust itself or does it just go to a set default 0?

Also if this helps anybody these are the adjustments I tried endlessly on the TRX to try to pick up my tdma P2 simulcast system.PSX_20201001_194632.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.