ProScan: ProScan Audio "issues"

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8WCA

I am having Audio problems way too often with ProScan.

I Reboot my Computer and Restart my SDS200 fairly often (As in at least 3 times a week)

This last time I rebooted - power cycled my SDS200 and still no Audio
I could control it but no audio in the Audio Tabs

The ONLY way I was able to get it going this time was to Uninstall ProScan and re install it.

Anyone else having this type problem?

All other audio on the computer works fine (An old Lenovo G2030 Dual Core Intel w/8 G RAM
Completely up to date Win 10 Pro 2004
ProScan is current 16.8 And my SDS200 has current Firmware (I have doubts they will ever update it - I hope I am wrong)
(I Always keep things up 2 date)

Or is it just a dark cloud over my Computer Radio room?

73 de charlie w8wca

Last edited:

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I frequently have issues with ProScan disconnecting from my 200. It happens at least once or twice per week.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'll just offer a few items than monitor from the side and let others chime in.

First. Make sure not running AVG antivirus software as that will break the TCP connection.
Second. Insure the scanner firmware is up to date.

The data side works because it uses UDP only. The audio uses TCP and UDP. Something is breaking the TCP connection. It could be a bad Ethernet cable or port too.
I haven't heard of uninstalling and reinstalling ProScan to get the audio to work. All that does is replace the exe and dll with the same one's. Just a scanner power cycle is all that should be needed to restore the audio.

belvdr

Just a scanner power cycle is all that should be needed to restore the audio.
That what fixes it for me. It is not my computer config. I’m wired only, no WiFi, and I have not been able to nail down the culprit yet.

W8WCA

I'll just offer a few items than monitor from the side and let others chime in.

First. Make sure not running AVG antivirus software as that will break the TCP connection.
Second. Insure the scanner firmware is up to date.

The data side works because it uses UDP only. The audio uses TCP and UDP. Something is breaking the TCP connection. It could be a bad Ethernet cable or port too.
I haven't heard of uninstalling and reinstalling ProScan to get the audio to work. All that does is replace the exe and dll with the same one's. Just a scanner power cycle is all that should be needed to restore the audio.

Wouldn't a Reboot of computer and power cycle of SDS200 fix a Data connection hickup??

I do run Avast AntiVirus.
But when I have issues the first thing I do is disable it until I re enable it

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Wouldn't a Reboot of computer and power cycle of SDS200 fix a Data connection hickup??
Reboot the SDS200. YES
Reboot the computer. NO
I don't think a computer reboot will fix the issue because the way the scanner LAN audio module (code) works.
The scanner audio module will stop sending audio if
1. The scanner loses the Ethernet connection for at least 60 seconds.
2. ProScan or the computer was shutdown abnormally, therefore the TEARDOWN command was not received by the scanner.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
My bet is NETWORK ISSUES due to I run 16 copies on 1 PC 4 15x's 6 996P2's 5 536's 1 SDS200 everything is static IP's PC never sleeps.
The SDS if looses network for over 60 seconds goes off line POWER CYCLE will fix the issue as reported by others as I do not have these problems.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
That what fixes it for me. It is not my computer config. I’m wired only, no WiFi, and I have not been able to nail down the culprit yet.
Are you saying you are using a sound card or the LAN Ethernet for the audio?

belvdr

Are you saying you are using a sound card or the LAN Ethernet for the audio?
LAN. I haven’t had the time to troubleshoot yet, but it’s not the computer, as other services don’t lose connectivity.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The SDS if looses network for over 60 seconds goes off line POWER CYCLE will fix the issue as reported by others as I do not have these problems.
That's the results of my testing also. I tested by disconnecting the Ethernet cable at the scanner for 40, 50, 60, 70, and so on seconds. It was a year ago back but as I recall, I found at 60 seconds the scanner audio didn't come back up until the scanner was power cycled.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I have a high end built home network 1gb router ports mikrotik router (not a cheap over the counter department store router) high end switches.
16 4mb poe cameras, 20 scanners, 3 4k TV streaming devices. 100mb in 20mb out ISP all USP battery backed up.

W8WCA

I always run static IP on everything in my house
SDS200 is on LAN w/Cat5e cable
My router is a WRT1900ACS so not a cheapo either

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
For a test Try using VLC as that will connect to the scanner, then compare the stability. If using VLC, change the Audio from URL to None as only one app can connect to the scanner audio at the same time.
{edit} That may narrow down the problem to either ProScan, the network, or the scanner.

(edit 2} If it is ProScan, I can send out test files. I did at one time, compared the data sent and received by ProScan and VLC. I found just the User Agent in the header was different.

Last edited:

W8WCA

My bet is NETWORK ISSUES due to I run 16 copies on 1 PC 4 15x's 6 996P2's 5 536's 1 SDS200 everything is static IP's PC never sleeps.
But for mine power cycle of the sds200 does Not fix it

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I found in classes and testing LINKSYS does not have the constant throughput for video that is why I am using MIKROTIK routers even the small home office MIKROTIKs pass 40mb plus in video without dropping packets and still handle other users.

W8WCA

I found in classes and testing LINKSYS does not have the constant throughput for video that is why I am using MIKROTIK routers even the small home office MIKROTIKs pass 40mb plus in video without dropping packets and still handle other users.
Linksys WRT1900ACS (open source firmware like the good old WRT54GL) are pretty solid imho

belvdr

40Mb? Any recent gig switch can do that. That’s only 40% of link speed. Many older gig switches were oversubscribed but I haven’t seen that for years, once gig became ubiquitous.

Regardless, I haven’t seen any packet loss on my local switch, which houses only my printer, PC, and SDS. The SDS is the only one that loses connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.