• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Proscan bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitaux8030

Silent Key
I've been comparing System Scans - plain Wide Area (by manually defined neighbours) versus Proscan (dynamic) versus Proscan dynamic plus manually defined neighbours.
I've observed a few quirks, and wondering if there are any 'fixes' or am I going about achieving a result the wrong way?

First, it appears possible to turn off proscan with SYSC (system scan on/off) so long as there is no Wide Area neighbours manually defined. But SYSC doesn't appear to turn off plain old Wide Area scan, or turn off proscan with manually defined neighbours. I actually suspect that if you manually define neighbours under System Setup "systems being scanned" this automatically enables Wide Area scanning, and if you have proscan turned on, a form of Wide Area scanning is still working in the background behind proscan.
How did I arrive at that conclusion? Well sometimes I found that proscan (dynamic) with no neighbours manually defined would get 'stuck' in CC Scan and not select a new system, even though one or more of the known neighbours would have provided good service. If I then kept the settings exactly the same, just adding in manually defined neighbours to each system, the process would be 100% reliable in finding a new system to camp on - perhaps not always the best serving system, but at least it wouldn't sit in limbo at CC Scan. Its almost as if the proscan process sometimes fails to find an acceptable neighbour, and then the radio defaults to WA scanning the manual neighbour list (with no proscan intelligence).

So, first bug: SYSC appears to turn off proscan fine, but not Wide Area scan. Thats rather annoying.
And second bug: proscan can sometimes get stuck in limbo with CC Scan, and not find a system to camp on, despite good neighbours being present.

Are these just the nature of the beast, known bugs, or is there something that I'm missing here?

L

LS1_TA

When you turn your radio on it is trying to log on to the site that last was selected on the radio when it was turned off. If the site that is left selected on power up is not reachable the radio will go to it's "ADJACENCY TABLES"that are related to that site and try to log on to one of those sites. If it cannot log on the radio will go to a "Never Never land." of WA SCAN or CC SCAN. The only way i know to ge the radio to wake up is to power it down and manually select a site that you expect the radio to be capable of logging into. My system is set for Dynamic and that works pretty good. We still have some radios in our fleet that have WA SCAN and i don't seem to like it. We have over 20 sites in our IMC. I cannot say that i have found any Quirks or "UNADVERTISED FEATURES "with PROSCAN. There are alot of parameters to set up though. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.