Proscan Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelynn321

Feed Provider
Hello all,

We have 2 separate SDS200's, on completely different locations and networks, with separate licenses that seem to have the same issues and I was curious if anyone knew a possible reason as to why this keeps happening. What is happening is the URL setup for either the entire scanner, or just the audio portion seems to lose connection and the only solution to fix this is to reboot the scanner. One unit is using source client and is streaming to broadcastify, the other unit is running as web server with an audio serve password. The odd part about this all is that we can still type the local ip of the scanner into a web browser and get the response successfully.

I spoke with Bob at Proscan and he suggested using a static ip (already set this way) and to verify not using AVG (using Kaspersky). This issue was also occurring when the PC with Kaspersky had Avast. The other PC is just using Windows Defender.

I have attached a screenshot as to what happens with the PC with Kaspersky.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-08 07.41.30.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-08 07.41.30.png
    588.5 KB · Views: 57

bdp278

Feed Provider
I’m having the exact same issue, either the URL disconnects, or the audio drops out, and I have to reboot the SDS200. Have been running on a Windows 10 HP laptop for many months, and these issues started occurring a few months ago. Recently switched from wireless to direct LAN connection from the laptop to see if the problem stops. Also been having problems with connecting to the web server side on Proscan from remote locations on my smartphone. Could also be all of the Windows updates coming down lately, but all I know is for quite a long time everything was working fine, and then these issues began occurring.

shanelynn321

Feed Provider
Glad to know that I'm not the only one having this issue. It very well could be a windows update causing it. I know both devices are:

Windows 10 version 2004
Hardwired/lan
No sleep or hibernate
No hdd/ssd shutdown
Autostart source/web server (separate devices and networks)

It's interesting and frustrating at the same time. Could go 2 days and it happen or can go 9 days before it happens again.

@bdp278 Do you stream to broadcastify?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
What version PROSCAN are you running I am running 16.5 on my SDS200 and it has not dropped and been running from 16.5 release date.
This is just 1 of 16 running on this same PC.
Turn off all sleep and hibernation settings.
Set harddrive to run all the time.
My PROSCAN PC runs at full power all the time no sleep or hibernation no screen saver ect.

bdp278

Feed Provider
Yes, I stream to Broadcastify, I was running Proscan 16.3, updated to 16.7 & had same problems. Now I’m running Radiofeed just to see if it was the Proscan, and still had the URL drop out on Radiofeed. I switched from wireless to hardwired on the LAN laptop connection this Weekend, so just waiting to see if the problem occurs again. The laptop is dedicated to the feed, nothing else running on it, & all the settings are the same as yours.

bdp278

Feed Provider
I had one other thought that it may be the SDS200 causing the problem, as there have been mornings when I was down, and noticed the display on my scanner was blank. Doing a off/on would fix the problem on both the display & feed, but have not had that particular problem lately, but should I get another drop off, I’m plan to replace the micro SD card on the scanner. I read that when those start to go bad, can cause weird problems, and it’s a fairly easy fix to try.

shanelynn321

Feed Provider
@buddrousa both PC's started on 16.4 and have progressively updated as updates were released as listener count allowed. The one streamed to broadcastify got updated only when the scanner would drop out. Each time it drops out, I also go ahead and check for a firmware update to verify no problems there. I also run this PC 24/7/365 with sleep and hibernation disabled and power options set to Maximum Performance.

@bdp278 Ours hasn't done that. 1 Scanner is about a year old and the other is 2 years old. Both have the record/replay option disabled to protect and provide a slightly longer life for the micro sd card. Ours will stay running and can still be accessed on the network via its local ip.

W8WCA

I have to mess with mine way too often.
I have to restart the SDS-200 every now and then - sometimes 2 days sometimes a week or more between times.
Some times it is after auto updates and reboot sometimes now.
And now and then I have to Disable and re enable IP in LAN settings.

W8WCA

Right now is a good and typical example:
Last night I was listening to my SDS-20 (Web server)
This AM my computer had rebooted from updates (Avast)
(I did turn off Avast and then Windows firewalls to check)
Now I am not home (but Remote Desktop to home) and cannot get ProScan to connect to my SDS-200 - and naturally cannot manually power cycle it
I can ping my scanner OK from the computer it is connected to.

shanelynn321

Feed Provider
@W8WCA Same boat. Had to reboot Sunday before Labor day but then it has been fine since. Prior to that it ran for 9 days but previous to that was only about 17 hours. It is very sporadic.

I also have auto-updates delayed. My streaming pc is currently delayed to restart for 34 more days. Kaspersky updates itself without needing any restarts. I also have Proscan and traffic from the scanner ip (static) excluded from its network scanning.

shanelynn321

Feed Provider
@W8WCA Same boat. Had to reboot Sunday before Labor day but then it has been fine since. Prior to that it ran for 9 days but previous to that was only about 17 hours. It is very sporadic.

I also have auto-updates delayed. My streaming pc is currently delayed to restart for 34 more days. Kaspersky updates itself without needing any restarts. I also have Proscan and traffic from the scanner ip (static) excluded from its network scanning.

Something I just thought about. How do you all have the static ip set? I don't think it'll matter though. 1 is set by the router in a reservation and the other is statically set on the scanner itself.

shanelynn321

Feed Provider
Something else to add, when this does happen, rebooting the software or the PC does not work in resolving the connection problems. Only rebooting the scanner fixes it.

bdp278

Feed Provider
shanelynn321: Yes I have to power cycle the scanner, and the software then reconnects on it's down. Rebooting the software has no effect.
Right now I'm just running the feed thru Radiofeed, not worrying about web server for now. Since I connected my laptop direct with LAN cable, my feed has stayed running, in fact, I no longer have the constant disconnect & reconnects in my status log window like I did when using the Wifi connection, and also all of the "mount point" error messages have disappeared also. My status log window is clean for 3 days now. Later this week will move onto trying to get the webserver side working again so I can listen on my smartphone thru the media player, but so far, all is good.

shanelynn321

Feed Provider
Something else I thought of, What brand router are you using and how reliable is your internet connection? Both of our locations are using older TP-Link routers. Wonder if this problem is being caused by those? If the connection never drops, why deny the connection?

I'm starting to wonder if the router is causing just enough of a dropout that the connection gets severed, however the scanner does not see this and so it never releases the ports being used, therefore denying the reconnection requests since it thinks it is still connected.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Something else I thought of, What brand router are you using and how reliable is your internet connection? Both of our locations are using older TP-Link routers. Wonder if this problem is being caused by those? If the connection never drops, why deny the connection?

I'm starting to wonder if the router is causing just enough of a dropout that the connection gets severed, however the scanner does not see this and so it never releases the ports being used, therefore denying the reconnection requests since it thinks it is still connected.
Rather than Internet, I believe you mean the local wired connection, as that's where the scanner and software connections are made. That's a good point.

shanelynn321

Feed Provider
Rather than Internet, I believe you mean the local wired connection, as that's where the scanner and software connections are made. That's a good point.
You are total correct, my bad. Being an older router, something as small as a brief hang to cause an internet/local network outage for a few seconds could be enough to cause that connection to get severed partially.

shanelynn321

Feed Provider
You are total correct, my bad. Being an older router, something as small as a brief hang to cause an internet/local network outage for a few seconds could be enough to cause that connection to get severed partially.
Matter of fact, it just occurred at our main location. Internet dropped for about 15 seconds and I got those same errors. and then it reconnected. This time though it did all immediately reconnect. That could have been the actually isp connection though. I'll have to keep monitoring everything.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
One thing to watch out for is the SDS200 Ethernet connection. If the Ethernet breaks for about 60 seconds then the scanner will stop sending audio out the Ethernet connection and the scanner has to be power cycled.

For a test. Unplug the Ethernet cable from the scanner for about 30 seconds then plug it back in. The audio should start to send automatically. Now unplug the Ethernet cable for a minute and plug it back in. The audio will not start up automatically. It takes a scanner power cycle.

If a router, switch, or cable Ethernet connection is intermittent and the intermittency lasts for 60 seconds or so, it could cause the scanner audio to not to recover and a power cycle is required.

I think a future scanner (SDS200 & BCD536HP) firmware version, if any, could implement a watchdog timer to automatically recover the scanner audio module if lost.

Last edited:

shanelynn321

Feed Provider
I did this and what you explained happened to the T. The crazy thing is, the ethernet connection never drops from the switch, just the connection to the router. However the connection to the internet does occasionally fluctuate and the scanner could be interpreting that as the ethernet connection fluctuating since all the traffic goes through the router. I'll have to get ahold of Uniden and suggest that watchdog timer idea.

Last edited:

belvdr

No longer interested in living
An alternative for those not near the scanner is an outlet that can be triggered remotely. We have some PDUs that do that but they are too expensive and large for home use.

it’s probably called a smart outlet today and could be used to power cycle the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.