ProScan ProScan for Broadcastify with BCD536HP - Intermittent dropped connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I have been having issues with the feed that I provide staying on the air with broadcastify. Here is the basics:

I have the 536 set up on my home wife network in infrastructure mode and it has a local IP address that doesn't change unless I or the electric company power cycle the router or unplug the scanner.

I have port forwarding set up and am routinely able to start the program from my work laptop and listen and control the scanner with RSOIP.

I of course have Comm Port and Audio Control set up with the correct local IP address before streaming it through Source Client or RSOIP.

However, I am having issues where at least once a week there are several hour periods where the Source Client program will go into a minute by minute disconnected/connected cycle until I catch it either through the Broadcastify App not connecting even though it says "Online" or someone messages me through the facebook page I have set up for the stream. Sometimes all I have to do is click disconnect manually and then reconnect it and all is better. Throughout the whole time this is happening, I can still get Audio and control through RSOIP even though the Source Client tab is having issues. Other times it just won't reconnect to the IP address even though it has not changed in the scanner. I will have to turn off the wi-fi on the scanner and then reselect the network and reconnect. I will almost always end up with the same local IP address as before and then all of a sudden it all works again. This is frustrating because I am on the road with my job a lot and have to have the wife go and troubleshoot it most of the time, which she is tired of doing. I prefer the clear wifi audio much over the audio jack stream option, but I am worried that I will have to go that route since the wifi audio is unreliable.

Has anyone else had this problem and could point me toward something I can do? A few months back it was up a whole month with no issues at all and seems to be getting worse lately.

Thanks in advance

Edit: I have been wondering if the tethered satellites that are on my Orbi wifi router system are possible causing some of the issues. They report the exact same name of my network but sometimes on some devices I will see multiple instances of my system name.

Last edited:

mneil911

Feed Provider
I have had the exact same problem with two different BCD536HP scanners using ProScan, at two different houses in two separate cities 80 miles apart from each other, using different routers and ISP's, not running any anti-virus software. I too have everything set up correctly and it was all working great until last week. I host ten feeds and the only ones with the issue are the ones that I try to use with ProScan as the source. It is definitely a software issue because the scanner never disconnects from the computer, but the computer disconnects from Broadcastify. I emailed Bob, the developer of ProScan and here is the reply:

Hi Matt,
Are you using the BCD536HP Wi-Fi? If so, try the Sound card method to see if that's the problem so we can focus on that area. Perhaps Wi-Fi interference.
If using AVG Anti-Virus software, that program is known to interpret TCP traffic so try without that.
You may want to try Ping Plotter to see if that will shed clues. I know you said that other software connects to Broadcastify but just need more conclusive testing. Ive seen problems with ISP's cables, NIC cards that can cause problems.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Matt,
Are all the ProScan feeds going down all using BCD536HP Wi-Fi or using various scanners? I never received a reply to my question on that. I wanted to send you test files before the last release so we could get it fixed or at least figure out what's going on. That being said, I'm on break until 1st week of November so at that time if still an issue, send me an email so I can send you test files.

flubber2007

Feed Provider
I have also had the same problem since downloading ProScan. Scannercast was flawless but does not have the features Pro Scan has. I have tried different routers, upgraded ISP speed, new computer, tried 2 different BCD536HP i have both have same issue, also tried on infrastructure and wifi both seems to disconnect. I did find in one of the router the DCHP lease was set to 24 hours, so every 24 hours my understanding is that the IP would get dropped to see if there was another device that could use it if not then it connects to the same IP (I have static IP setup for both scanners). Past few days it hasnt had one hiccup and I don't know what changed. I even had the power company come out check all connections and see if there was any bad connection for power fluctuation etc found nothing. So I would say my opinion is a software thing. I AM NOT bashing the software i love the software I just not sure where the problem is, and if someone could make a youtube video on how to get to the scanner remotely that would be great, I have tried many many times still no luck.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Matt,
Are all the ProScan feeds going down all using BCD536HP Wi-Fi or using various scanners? I never received a reply to my question on that. I wanted to send you test files before the last release so we could get it fixed or at least figure out what's going on. That being said, I'm on break until 1st week of November so at that time if still an issue, send me an email so I can send you test files.

I'm not running a feed, however I run two sessions of Proscan on two BCD536HP scanners 24/7 and I've had at least one of them stop and go blank a couple of times after a few days while the other one continues to run. It appears communication over the USB interface is being lost. This never happened with previous versions of Proscan.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'm not running a feed, however I run two sessions of Proscan on two BCD536HP scanners 24/7 and I've had at least one of them stop and go blank a couple of times after a few days while the other one continues to run. It appears communication over the USB interface is being lost. This never happened with previous versions of Proscan.

No changes in the serial port area. If it happens again, check the Test & Extra tab to see if the answer back poll from the scanner is present. Also see if reverting back to ver. 14.12, the problem goes away.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I have also had the same problem since downloading ProScan. Scannercast was flawless but does not have the features Pro Scan has. I have tried different routers, upgraded ISP speed, new computer, tried 2 different BCD536HP i have both have same issue, also tried on infrastructure and wifi both seems to disconnect. I did find in one of the router the DCHP lease was set to 24 hours, so every 24 hours my understanding is that the IP would get dropped to see if there was another device that could use it if not then it connects to the same IP (I have static IP setup for both scanners). Past few days it hasnt had one hiccup and I don't know what changed. I even had the power company come out check all connections and see if there was any bad connection for power fluctuation etc found nothing. So I would say my opinion is a software thing. I AM NOT bashing the software i love the software I just not sure where the problem is, and if someone could make a youtube video on how to get to the scanner remotely that would be great, I have tried many many times still no luck.

I think it's the Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi audio is pushed out to the internet so if the Wi-Fi glicthes, it could cause a problem with ProScan Source Client disconnecting from the Broadcasity/Icecast/Shoutcast server.

See if the option "BCD536HP Wi-Fi Keep Alive - Souce Client Streaming Audio" is checked or unchecked. Advise on the setting. Uncheck if checked or visa-versa to see if it helps.

mneil911

Feed Provider
It was checked, I have unchecked it and will try that. Disappointed that it keeps connecting and disconnecting.

Last edited:
I

ilken

disconnects

I started having this issue after updating proscan to 14.3, disconnects, garbled audio, problems with recording(making multiple files for each transmission even though box is unticked for that),
I thought it was possibly due to me using Proscan on Linux or a hardware problem with the scanner or wifi.
(1) Re-Installed Linux, Wine, and Proscan numerous times
(2)rebooted scanner, reset scanner, computer and wifi modem,
(3) switched to a different modem/router running dd-wrt and tomato isolated from the rest of the network
...still disconnecting, numerous times a day
it could very well be the wifi dongle...but
I never had any problems before the update to 14.3

So just to be sure its not because of the Linux I have installed Windows 10 from the October 2018 iso directly from Microsoft and have updated it fully
Installed Proscan and dot .net
Still disconnecting

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I started having this issue after updating proscan to 14.3, disconnects, garbled audio, problems with recording(making multiple files for each transmission even though box is unticked for that),
I thought it was possibly due to me using Proscan on Linux or a hardware problem with the scanner or wifi.
(1) Re-Installed Linux, Wine, and Proscan numerous times
(2)rebooted scanner, reset scanner, computer and wifi modem,
(3) switched to a different modem/router running dd-wrt and tomato isolated from the rest of the network
...still disconnecting, numerous times a day
it could very well be the wifi dongle...but
I never had any problems before the update to 14.3

So just to be sure its not because of the Linux I have installed Windows 10 from the October 2018 iso directly from Microsoft and have updated it fully
Installed Proscan and dot .net
Still disconnecting

Is the option "BCD536HP Wi-Fi Keep Alive - Source Client Streaming Audio" checked?
Uncheck the option. Advise if that fixes it.

I

ilken

Is "BCD536HP Wi-Fi Keep Alive - Source Client Streaming Audio" checked?

is the option "bcd536hp wi-fi keep alive - source client streaming audio" checked?
Uncheck the option. Advise if that fixes it.

*fixed
*fixed
*fixed
*fixed

mneil911

Feed Provider
This is not fixed. I have tried it with Keep WiFi alive both checked and unchecked. I also hooked up a BCD536HP at work and the same thing is happening. This makes 3 sperate locations, in three separate cities with three separate scanners and internet service providers that this is occurring with. My only point is that it is not isolated to my IPS nor my router at my house.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Regarding this problem which is intermittent disconnects when using the BCD536HP Wi-Fi audio to stream to Broadcastify/Icecast servers. I did a lot of work in this area. I believe (at this time) the connection to Broadcastify/Icecast servers is rock solid.

In the last version(14.3), an option was added "Wi-Fi Keep-Alive To Broadcastify/Icecast..." that wasn't implemented correctly. This test file shouldn't need the Keep-Alive option. However the Keep-Alive option is in that's implemented correctly, just in case.

Anyone that wants to test, send me an email so I can send you the link to the test file. As a bonus, you will get a production quality pre-release ver. 14.4 containing the following:
  • Fixed - Google Map - Address mapping stopped working.
  • Fixed - Recording option - Delete < 2 Seconds Recording Entries wasn't deleting the file.
  • Fixed - BCDx36 & SDS100 - Importing RadioReference DMR systems then writing to scanner was changing system type to P25.
  • Fixed - DMA scanners - DMR One-Freq Trunk Systems wasn't importing from RadioReference.
  • Fixed - Web Server - Web Page wasn't showing file modified date when serving files (recordings).
  • Fixed - BCD436HP, UBCD3600XLT, & SDS100 - Big Knob double clicking wasn't working.
  • Added - Web Server - Function button on the web page in case the browser or OS touch screen not responsive to double clicks.

TomTN

I had this problem with two 536 scanners. It was completely solved by assigning static IP addresses for the scanners.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I had this problem with two 536 scanners. It was completely solved by assigning static IP addresses for the scanners.

Many reasons for intermittents. I took a couple of variables out of the equation to make it more reliable.

flubber2007

Feed Provider
More problems lately it seems. Just unchecked WiFi alive option will see if it helps. Did not see that a post was replied in this thread. Thanks ProScan.

Attachments

• B7EB1AC0-B524-40CB-8EB2-F30578D0F4EB.png
    B7EB1AC0-B524-40CB-8EB2-F30578D0F4EB.png
    231 KB · Views: 24

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
It is tricky to nail down because we were having intermittent internet drops from the ISP. We had the company (GVTC) come out and actually verify that it was on their end because they wanted to pin it on my non-GVTC supplied Orbi router system. They actually hooked up to a port via Cat 6 and finally caught it. Changed customer access card, and I completely wiped and rebuilt my network and redid the set up for all the devices in the house, including the laptop running ProScan and the 536. This was running pretty good up until today when we had a power outage. I used that opportunity to restart the computer that had been running for a few weeks straight (just ProScan). After the restart and re-entry of the new IP address for the 536, it had a ton of disconnects and "Mountpoint in use" errors that I had never seen. I checked for the new version and downloaded it (14.4). Since setting up the stream and hitting connect on source client, it has been up for an hour with no more errors. I am hoping that your new version of software was the fix I was needing, time will tell.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Following up for ProScan, since installing 14.4, the intermittent drops and mountpoint in use errors haven't resurfaced. My feed uptime chart is 99.5-100% now as opposed to 80-85% like it was before the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.