Proscan + iMac (via parallels) + LAN = issues :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4TF

Does anyone have experience running proscan on an iMac via parallels?

I'm using a iMac with M1 chip, parallels, windows 11 (yes 11, not 10), and setting everything up via LAN/Wifi instead of connecting the scanner directly to the computer.

I am transitioning from the same wifi/lan setup on my Windows laptop to this Apple desktop. I checked all settings in my current Proscan and transposed those to the proscan on the mac. Everything appears to be working, but when I go to Broadcastify, it shows the stream is offline. When I check the RX/TX bytes, I see the data transfer has indeed paused.

Any ideas/suggestions?

HavenBTS

Banned by a Super Duper Moderator
Banned
Does anyone have experience running proscan on an iMac via parallels?

I'm using a iMac with M1 chip, parallels, windows 11 (yes 11, not 10), and setting everything up via LAN/Wifi instead of connecting the scanner directly to the computer.

I am transitioning from the same wifi/lan setup on my Windows laptop to this Apple desktop. I checked all settings in my current Proscan and transposed those to the proscan on the mac. Everything appears to be working, but when I go to Broadcastify, it shows the stream is offline. When I check the RX/TX bytes, I see the data transfer has indeed paused.

Any ideas/suggestions?
In my experience the only software that will run anything Windows on any Mac is Crossover. The only thing better than that and that has never failed is creating a Bootcamp partition and doing a full Windows install. However I don't know if that is available with the M1 chip.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
In my experience the only software that will run anything Windows on any Mac is Crossover. The only thing better than that and that has never failed is creating a Bootcamp partition and doing a full Windows install. However I don't know if that is available with the M1 chip.
Parallels or VMware works fine. However I don’t know if ProScan works well with Win 11, especially since Win 11 isn’t GA yet. I would suggest trying Windows 10.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I’m running Parallels on an old Mac Pro with Big Sur and two instances of ProScan without any issues. One scanner is connected directly to the lan and the other is via wifi.

Might want to try Windows 10.

JohnDistai

I try to run ProScan using Parallels and Win 10 Home via USB connection. Very frustrating experience. I once got one SDS 200 connected via WiFi, but getting repeat connections was hit or miss. Updating my scanners is dreadful. I'm considering buying a PC laptop for an easier experience (I'd rather spend the money on another radio).

With regards to the USB connection, I can get one SDS 200 connected at a time; it's real hit or miss. There's something with how Parallels assigns the COM ports from the iMac to Win 10 when I connect. Once I get a connection and disconnect, I need to restart the iMac before I can reconnect or connect my other 200. It's very frustrating. I was running BigSur, now I'm running Monterey.

If anyone has suggestions on how to reduce these pains, I'd love your help. Also, if anyone has instructions for how someone lacking in the IP connection department can connect one or more SDS 200's through Parallels using WiFi (via those Vonage things), I'd love to hear that as well.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I try to run ProScan using Parallels and Win 10 Home via USB connection. Very frustrating experience. I once got one SDS 200 connected via WiFi, but getting repeat connections was hit or miss. Updating my scanners is dreadful. I'm considering buying a PC laptop for an easier experience (I'd rather spend the money on another radio).

With regards to the USB connection, I can get one SDS 200 connected at a time; it's real hit or miss. There's something with how Parallels assigns the COM ports from the iMac to Win 10 when I connect. Once I get a connection and disconnect, I need to restart the iMac before I can reconnect or connect my other 200. It's very frustrating. I was running BigSur, now I'm running Monterey.

If anyone has suggestions on how to reduce these pains, I'd love your help. Also, if anyone has instructions for how someone lacking in the IP connection department can connect one or more SDS 200's through Parallels using WiFi (via those Vonage things), I'd love to hear that as well.
I can't help you with Parallels or your Mac.

But I would point out that you don't need anything close to the "latest and greatest" PC, laptop or desktop. It does need to be running at least Windows 7, and have internet access if you'll be using it with Sentinel to maintain the database.

JohnDistai

I can maintain the database using Sentinel. I get one of the 200's connected then I have to restart my iMac before I can connect the other one.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Parallels under went some change recently. I had a weather station connected to Windows using a serial port which stopped working. Had to add the device as a Mac serial port in Parallels.

My SDS200 is connected using the Ethernet port and it’s rock solid.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Parallels or VMware works fine. However I don’t know if ProScan works well with Win 11, especially since Win 11 isn’t GA yet. I would suggest trying Windows 10.

Same in my experience; I’ve used VMWare Fusion for years on Intel Macs. Windows 7 and 10 work fine although after testing 10 I’ve stuck with 7 (no point in spending the money when Win7 works fine for what I need to do).

However, VMWare will not work (yet) on the new Macs with the M1 processor. I’ve got an M1 Mini, and rather than spend the money on Parallels I elected to go with UTM and the ARM version of Win10. Seems to work ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.