Proscan loses connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

esarks

I experienced the Proscan loses connection with SDS200 issue. The only way to restore connection was to power off and then on the SDS200.

I spent hours trying to correct the issue thinking it might be a LAN wiring, or firewall, or network temporary drop issue.

I solved it quite by accident by updating the database on my SDS200 using Uniden Sentinal. After perform a complete update and restoring the Favorites to my county, the connection has been completely stable for days now, with no outage.

This seems to confirm the problem was somehow an instability within the scanner itself and somehow related to the database.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I experienced the Proscan loses connection with SDS200 issue. The only way to restore connection was to power off and then on the SDS200.

I spent hours trying to correct the issue thinking it might be a LAN wiring, or firewall, or network temporary drop issue.

I solved it quite by accident by updating the database on my SDS200 using Uniden Sentinal. After perform a complete update and restoring the Favorites to my county, the connection has been completely stable for days now, with no outage.

This seems to confirm the problem was somehow an instability within the scanner itself and somehow related to the database.

Did you update the scanner firmware too or just the database?

esarks

Your welcome. Proscan is an impressive product!! I use it to expose the Web Server through my router to my external IP address. I simply couldn’t figure out how to get it stabilized and there wasn’t anyone who seemed to solve the problem by restoring the database fully. There were hints it might be a data issue. But for me, now I know. Candidly, don’t really understand it (as a software person myself), but don’t need to. Clearly it isn’t a Proscan problem. Kudos to the product!!

garikfox

My SDS200 has been on 24/7 for the past 3yrs. Mine does this too on occasion, about 3 times per month. Like you I turn off the SDS200 and turn it back on. The reason mine does it is because of my router.

esarks

My SDS200 has been on 24/7 for the past 3yrs. Mine does this too on occasion, about 3 times per month. Like you I turn off the SDS200 and turn it back on. The reason mine does it is because of my router.

I'm curious how you know it's the router. I mean, it makes sense and all. I've been trying to diagnose and make it fail for several months (since I got the SDS200 it's never gone a day without dropping, often several times a day.). Candidly, never would have even thought it was something in the database causing an issue. And, of course, I still don't know what that something is. All I know is when I totally refreshed the database, it's stable.

jgiercyk

I had a similar problem although I've only had my SDS200 for a few days. It turned out my mesh network did an update over night and knocked my wireless devices off because they had the main network checked as "Connect Automatically". What is interesting is that the SDS200 has a hard connection to the network, and when the network became available the scanner should have reconnected, but it did not. The scanner was assigned the same IP...it never lost it actually...but it stayed offline and the software would not pick up the IP in the URL scan. I went through the process of turning the LAN off and on, then rescanning in the software and the IP for the scanner showed up again.

I say all that to say this....I think you're seeing symptoms of a different problem. If you have a momentary drop (milliseconds) in the signal from your ISP, it could cause the scanner to go belly-up and you'd never notice the issue. The rest of your devices would likely reconnect to the network when the wifi signal came back.

Just a thought. Hard-wired LAN connections can be flakey and if the scanner doesn't have a "keep alive" mechanism built into the software in case the network signal drops, you could see it go offline inexplicably.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The way Uniden does the 536's and SDS200's is there is no auto reconnect it takes a power cycle. I use Mikrotik router that is very stable and my SDS200 has only lost its connection 2 times my scanners PC's connected to a 2200 watt ups several hours of backup power and my network is backed up by a 1000 watt ups several hours of back up use.

esarks

>> I think you're seeing symptoms of a different problem. If you have a momentary drop (milliseconds) in the signal from your ISP, it could cause the scanner to go belly-up and you'd never notice the issue. The rest of your devices would likely reconnect to the network when the wifi signal came back.

It's difficult to argue with your logic. I've been having this "problem" for months. And I've developed network device drivers, so I'm somewhat familiar with the "deep dive" into connectivity. That said...there is some obviously great logic in Proscan. But it can only do so much.

I've done my best to diagnose my network. I have, on one of my PCs, an uptime monitor. It tells me when it can't get outbound. Thing is, those outages never match up with the SDS200 outages. My SDS200 is hard wired into my router. And I have Proscan running wireless. And then I have a router firewall routing patch to my external IP. This way I can connect to Proscan on port 80. It would drop several times a day and require off/on of the SDS200...until I "accidentally" reloaded the database, and that fixed it. I have no explanation other than that. It isn't perfect, because sometimes when I fiddle with the port 80 connection, it causes Proscan to drop. I have to either reset my scanner through the Test screen (which works) or turn off/on the scanner. However, everthing remains stable for days. I can't explain it...and I believe reloading the database was somehow an answer.

It's all subjective...I get that.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
Usb has nothing to do with cats from sds200 to router or 536 wireless to router
Yeah I guess I misunderstood. When I first got my SDS200 I have a similar issue with Proscan but it was the COM port on the computer going to sleep via the USB interface. Thanks for set straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.