Proscan: Setup questions and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgiercyk

All...I'm setting up an SDS200 after being out of the scanning game for a few decades. I've watched videos and read articles, and decided that ProScan was a good addition. However, I'm at the point where I think we are over-thinking things. My first question is, does the scanner have to be a network device in order for it to be recognized by ProScan or can it connect directly via USB? My second question is, no matter how the scanner connects to the host computer, unless you are sharing your scanner with the world, wouldn't it be easier to connect to the host computer using remote desktop software (like Chrome Remote Desktop) and listen to the scanner that way rather than setting up a VPN account and static IP to access via the internet? I've used both Windows Remote Desktop and Chrome Remote Desktop to make contact with my ham station from all over the world.....even on a few planes. :) If ProScan was installed on my station computer, I could control my scanner and listen to traffic on a phone, tablet, chromebook or PC from anywhere there is an internet connection. I could even connect to Sentinel and program it.

That being said, if I were to pursue the remote desktop approach, is there another program(s) that allow full control of the SDS200 from a computer. I don't mind spending money, but if I'm paying for features I will not use, it seems wasteful. Again, I'm a virtual newbie, and please boil it down for me. Thanks!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
All...I'm setting up an SDS200 after being out of the scanning game for a few decades. I've watched videos and read articles, and decided that ProScan was a good addition. However, I'm at the point where I think we are over-thinking things. My first question is, does the scanner have to be a network device in order for it to be recognized by ProScan or can it connect directly via USB? My second question is, no matter how the scanner connects to the host computer, unless you are sharing your scanner with the world, wouldn't it be easier to connect to the host computer using remote desktop software (like Chrome Remote Desktop) and listen to the scanner that way rather than setting up a VPN account and static IP to access via the internet? I've used both Windows Remote Desktop and Chrome Remote Desktop to make contact with my ham station from all over the world.....even on a few planes. :) If ProScan was installed on my station computer, I could control my scanner and listen to traffic on a phone, tablet, chromebook or PC from anywhere there is an internet connection. I could even connect to Sentinel and program it.

That being said, if I were to pursue the remote desktop approach, is there another program(s) that allow full control of the SDS200 from a computer. I don't mind spending money, but if I'm paying for features I will not use, it seems wasteful. Again, I'm a virtual newbie, and please boil it down for me. Thanks!
Here's my 2 cents worth.
Question 1
If you're using the scanner LAN then the scanner has to be connected to your LAN. It's not needed if using the USB port.

Question 2
You don't need a VPN or a static IP address for the Web Server or RSOIP(Remote Scanner Over) IP features.
{edit} If accessing the Web Server or RSOIP from the outside of your network then the Router Port Forwarding needs to be setup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.