Proscan & USB Sound Card not registering

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFR85

The scanner that I want to record is 996XT. Here is my problem

1. I bought Corner Stall.NET - Online Market - USB External Virtual 7.1 Channel Audio 3D Sound Card Adapter With Cable line for PC Laptop. My computer does not recognize the USB at all. I tried using the front USB ports in the front of my Tower and it says "Installing then failed"

*I notice is say's PC Laptop which I thought meant PC or Laptop because that's what I saw on eBay* (Probably my problem)

2. I have tried the cheaply made USB sound cards but they bend easily. When I plug it in. I go to the audio control and select USB. When I do that. The Threshold level is down.

3. The audio cable I'm using is this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017V59Z0W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I'm not 100% sure if that is the right wire or not. I have plugged http://www.tfdsupplies.com/43-large...male-35mm-audio-y-headphone-jack-splitter.jpg both in the front & the back where it's labeled Ext speaker with no luck.

4. Here is the jack that I'm using. 1 MALE TO 2 FEMALE 3.5MM AUDIO Y HEADPHONE JACK SPLITTER - TFD Supplies

Any suggestions would be helpful. I've seen to exhausted all options.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Just asking, but what is wrong with the sound card in your laptop/computer?

Also, the cable is a mono cable and that splitter is meant to take stereo (lest and right) and split it to 2 stereo outputs (This allows 1 signal to be sent to 2 devices. So with our splitter, 2 people can listen to music from 1 iPod.) The cable is still mono.

I use Proscan and use just 1 regular 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male stereo cable and plug it into the line in on my pc or laptop. I do not know what size the speaker out is on your model scanner.

Last edited:

NFR85

Just asking, but what is wrong with the sound card in your laptop?

Also, the cable is a mono cable and that splitter is meant to take stereo (lest and right) and split it to 2 stereo outputs (This allows 1 signal to be sent to 2 devices. So with our splitter, 2 people can listen to music from 1 iPod.) The cable is still mono.

I use Proscan and use just 1 regular 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male stereo cable and plug it into the line in on my pc or laptop. I do not know what size the speaker out is on your model scanner.

It's a PC. And nothing wrong is that the 15X is using the PC sound card. So would you suggest I get 3.5mm male to 3.5mm stero and plug that into the splitter? That's what I use on my 15X with no problems.

M105

Does the sound card show up in your audio devices? (Right click volume control and select recording or playback devices)

NFR85

Does the sound card show up in your audio devices? (Right click volume control and select recording or playback devices)

Yes it does. The problem I have now and I didn't have this before. Is when I go to audio on Proscan to choose USB it gives me 3 Unknown. Before there was Microphone And Delkin? Sound some name like that. So it's been replaced by unknown.

M105

If you have not already, reboot the computer with the sound card in place. Perhaps Windoze can sort things out as to the device names etc. You might also try uninstalling it in Device Manager then search for hardware changes and let it reinstall itself.

NFR85

If you have not already, reboot the computer with the sound card in place. Perhaps Windoze can sort things out as to the device names etc. You might also try uninstalling it in Device Manager then search for hardware changes and let it reinstall itself.

I just rebooted and still says "Unknown" Now when I got to Device Manager I plug it in the page refreshes and cannot find it.

M105

Hmmm, should show up under Sound, Video devices or USB devices. You might try show hidden devices under the View menu.
---
Sounds like the root of your trouble is that the device is not getting installed properly. Pretty hard to diagnose without being there. Perhaps Google that device and see if others have had issues getting it to work.

NFR85

Hmmm, should show up under Sound, Video devices or USB devices. You might try show hidden devices under the View menu.
---
Sounds like the root of your trouble is that the device is not getting installed properly. Pretty hard to diagnose without being there. Perhaps Google that device and see if others have had issues getting it to work.

I'm using Free Scan to record since I'm having problems with ProScan. Do I need to get a Stereo cable because the wire I'm using if you scroll up is mono and no audio is coming out of it.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I see, the 15x is using the pc sound card. I did misunderstand you in the beginning. So the splitter might work but you might have 2 different agencies talking at the same time and no way to separate the recordings. What are you recording the 15x with? If the usb is not working right, unplug it and reboot the pc and then try it and see what happens.

Proscan took me a little bit to get up and running. I was getting the echo effect. What version of windows are you running? And what version does the usb sound card work on?

Wow, when I was into Quake and Doom, I used to run the speaker out on my pc into my Kenwood rack system. It was some crazy wattage and people said it sounded like a war zone when they passed my house..

NFR85

I see, the 15x is using the pc sound card. I did misunderstand you in the beginning. So the splitter might work but you might have 2 different agencies talking at the same time and no way to separate the recordings. What are you recording the 15x with? If the usb is not working right, unplug it and reboot the pc and then try it and see what happens.

Proscan took me a little bit to get up and running. I was getting the echo effect. What version of windows are you running? And what version does the usb sound card work on?

Wow, when I was into Quake and Doom, I used to run the speaker out on my pc into my Kenwood rack system. It was some crazy wattage and people said it sounded like a war zone when they passed my house..

15X yes is on sound card using that jack splitter. And the 996XT is running on USB Sound Card. But I don't know if I have the correct wires or not. When I record in Free Scan nothing plays back. I tried the front port and back port. The Pro Scan is the latest 10.5

NFR85

I bought a stereo cable to see if that's my problem. Coming Sunday oddly from Amazon. So I'll give it update.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I see, the 15x is using the pc sound card.
What are you recording the 15x with?

15X yes is on sound card using that jack splitter. And the 996XT is running on USB Sound Card. But I don't know if I have the correct wires or not. When I record in Free Scan nothing plays back. I tried the front port and back port. The Pro Scan is the latest 10.5

You lost me, its late.

The 15x is hooked to the pc sound card. Are you able to record the 15x and if so, with what? Freescan or Proscan?

Just for kicks, if the 15x is able to be recorded, what happens if you stick the 996 in its place? Does that record? Need to first know if the outputs on the scanners are working correctly. Lets start there.

NFR85

You lost me, its late.

The 15x is hooked to the pc sound card. Are you able to record the 15x and if so, with what? Freescan or Proscan?

Just for kicks, if the 15x is able to be recorded, what happens if you stick the 996 in its place? Does that record? Need to first know if the outputs on the scanners are working correctly. Lets start there.

Yes I switched and it worked. Now when I hook the wires into the USB there is no audio. I tried Freescan and Proscan and nothing. On Freescan I clicked on USB start recording and when an agency talks and want to playback there is no audio

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Yes I switched and it worked. Now when I hook the wires into the USB there is no audio. I tried Freescan and Proscan and nothing. On Freescan I clicked on USB start recording and when an agency talks and want to playback there is no audio

First, I would check at the Windows Mixer (Recorder side) to see if you have audio there.

NFR85

First, I would check at the Windows Mixer (Recorder side) to see if you have audio there.

I have provided you with 3 screen shots. The 15X and 996XT see the audio level is not registering like 15X? How do I get the 996XT to do that?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 191
  • Untitled.jpg2.jpg
    Untitled.jpg2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Untitled.jpg1.jpg
    Untitled.jpg1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 195

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I have provided you with 3 screen shots. The 15X and 996XT see the audio level is not registering like 15X? How do I get the 996XT to do that?

Very good screen shots. Pictures tells a thousand words.

I don't see audio at the Microphone 8 USB Audio Device you have circled. That needs to be resolved first. Right click that device and click Properties. Click the Levels tab and insure the level is up. You can fine tune it later. At this point, the object is to get the audio to show in the meter. If you still don't have audio, swap the cables going to the 15XT and 996XT to see if the symptoms change and hopefully closer to the cause.

NFR85

Very good screen shots. Pictures tells a thousand words.

I don't see audio at the Microphone 8 USB Audio Device you have circled. That needs to be resolved first. Right click that device and click Properties. Click the Levels tab and insure the level is up. You can fine tune it later. At this point, the object is to get the audio to show in the meter. If you still don't have audio, swap the cables going to the 15XT and 996XT to see if the symptoms change and hopefully closer to the cause.

I tried swapping 15X into the 996XT and works because its using the PC soundcard.

I put the level to 100 nothing this screen shot shows it goes up if move the bars as shown

SCratch that it works! I had the wrong audio wire plug in (Facepalm)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I tried swapping 15X into the 996XT and works because its using the PC soundcard.

I put the level to 100 nothing this screen shot shows it goes up if move the bars as shown

Now the Microphone 8 USB Audio Device has audio. That tells me that device is working and passing audio. Problem before that. Could be the cables (depending on which ends you swapped them) or the scanner. Are you using the Record jack out of the scanner? Try the External Speaker out jack.

[EDIT]
works because its using the PC soundcard.
I think that's incorrect. I can clearly see you are using the Microphone 8 USB Audio Device.

NFR85

Now the Microphone 8 USB Audio Device has audio. That tells me that device is working and passing audio. Problem before that. Could be the cables (depending on which ends you swapped them) or the scanner. Are you using the Record jack out of the scanner? Try the External Speaker out jack.

[EDIT]

I think that's incorrect. I can clearly see you are using the Microphone 8 USB Audio Device.

Works now via Ext speaker. Thank you very much for helping me out. I really appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.