Protected System Access Not Allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim-in-Toledo

Okay, I just got a new BCD396XT and the store programmed a bunch of systems, all of which come up with:

"Protected System Access Not Allowed Press Any Key"

when I try to go in and edit them.

Any thoughts on how I can get in to edit them? I mainly want to separate the different ID's on to different quick keys and labels of my choosing and such.

Thanks for any help.
Jim

cpuerror

Once they are protected they can't be downloaded, edited, or unprotected. The only thing you can do is use software to delete them.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Once they are protected they can't be downloaded, edited, or unprotected. The only thing you can do is use software to delete them.

Assaf hits the nail on the head. You have to create a system with the same exact name with the same exact Quick Key assignment to over write the protected systems. I would also go back to the store and ask them why the heck did they do this to you because it did not help you out in the least for them to system protect the programming in the first place :roll:
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Better yet: Go back to the store and have them clear out the radio then reprogram it with the systems Unprotected.
Marshall KE4ZNR

cpuerror

The store pretty much figured out how to use the protect feature against him. The idea is that if he wants to make a change, he has to go to the store and pay $70 and they will do it, even though paid for both the programming and the scanner. That's like having to buy a another OS license every time you format your hard drive. A major ripoff on the store's part.

If he is using FreeSCAN he can wipe out the old systems like any other system. Ofcourse in this case it will mean $$ evaporating since those systems cannot be backed up.

I agree with you Marshall he should either get a refund or get them to program the scanner right. If not, well, time for a chargeback.

Danny6569

protected scanner

can someone tell me how this is done in the first place ? out of all the posts i have read in here this is the first time ive ever heard of this, and why would it need to be done anyway ?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
why would it need to be done anyway ?
If you are setting up scanners for, let's say, a newsroom or if you are deploying a bunch of scanners in the field and you don't want the users messing with the scanners, this is a nice feature. Someone who knows what they are doing programs the scanners, gives the users the basic information they need to do their jobs, and then rests assured that the users won't mess up the programming. While this feature is not much use to hobbyists, hobbyists are not the only market for these scanners.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
can someone tell me how this is done in the first place ? out of all the posts i have read in here this is the first time ive ever heard of this <snip>

At least in FreeScan, no doubt in the other packages, too, there is a flag set at the system level

73 Mike

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
For those wondering how system protect is enabled in the first place Assaf has a great write up in the Freescan Wiki:

• System Protect CAUTION Before you wipe out your programming experimenting with System Protect, read the following:
    • Once System Protect is enabled and the system is uploaded to the scanner, System Protect cannot be turned off. Protect will lock down the affected system to both the user and FreeSCAN. This means that the user going through the front panel cannot delete or modify a protected system other then locking out channels. If you try to access it through the programming menu, the scanner will deny access. Protected systems can't be downloaded back to software. It's a one way trip only. If you try to download a protected system, all the scanner will send are blank channels. You can still delete a protected system using FreeSCAN as you would a normal system. But it cannot be deleted through the front panel.

Marshall KE4ZNR

garys

Premium Subscriber
It's an interesting feature. I used to responsible for programming scanners for my agency and this was something I would have loved to have had. In fact, I exchanged emails with UPMan about this regarding the BC15. I didn't know that once you uploaded a protected system, even the programmer couldn't modify it. Then again, it makes sense. If I have access to the scanner with the programming software, I can just delete and replace a protected system.

OTOH, I think it was sleazy, to say the least, for a commercial outfit to do that to a customers radio. Who do they think they are, Motorola?! ;)

k9xyz

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hard to believe

I find it hard to believe anyone would pay 60 or 70 bucks to have someone at a "store" program a scanner. Especially if you know about this site and for 30 bucks you can be a premium member and do it yourself the way you want it. I figured the only people that did that were old ladies.

Jim-in-Toledo

-snip-
OTOH, I think it was sleazy, to say the least, for a commercial outfit to do that to a customers radio. Who do they think they are, Motorola?! ;)
Just an update:

I took it back and got my money back.

Store manager said the person doing the programming for him actually DOES WORK FOR MOTOROLA, and does this on the side for him. :mad:

Oh well.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Check the box in red that says "ENABLE SYSTEM PROTECT" on the system page.

Even easier: Click my link from my previous post in this thread.
As was posted above: MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING BEFORE CHECKING THE BOX.
Marshall KE4ZNR

scanner99

Premium Subscriber
Using freescan i have still not found that button and your link does not explain to you how to do it. Can you post a picture were the button is located?

scanner99

Premium Subscriber
Do you select this feature per system or is it just do the entire radio? I downloaded the latest version FreeSCAN-0.9G.msi and still do not see the box. Can someone post a screen pic?

Status
Not open for further replies.