R8600 Protective side panels for the Icom R8600, IC-7300 and IC-9700 radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I've had protective side panels for my IC-7300 for some time and discovered they fit the IC-9700 VHF/UHF rig and also the R8600 receiver. The mounting hole pattern is the same on all radios, although the R8600 is a little shorter front to back and that recesses the front panel back a fraction of an inch but it looks and works fine. I just received two more sets of panels today for my 9700 and R8600 and here is a picture of the stack all sporting new side panels with handles.

If you transport your radios these handles can protect the front panel and knobs from being broken off. I often carry my radios in a Pelican case and if the radio migrates around in the case the front panel and knobs are very venerable. These side panels address the problem and also give the radio a rack mount equipment look.

These specific panels can be purchased here if interested and its the IC-7300 panels that are pictured on all the radios below. ICom IC-7300 End Panels

a.jpge.jpg

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I've seen those panels out of the EU I think and they look good and a lot better than some other designs. But to set the records straight, the SideKX panels from Gemsproducts are the originals and everyone else copied them. Here is the very first prototype designed, machined and hand painted for the Elecraft K3 in around April 2009, or 22yrs ago and this is what sparked Scott at Gemsproducts to go into business.

K3 panels.JPG

The current product line is manufactured in So Cal machine shops and powder coat/silkscreen shops that cater to the Aerospace industry from very hard and high tensile strength 7075 T6 aluminum alloy and not 5052 used by some others which is easier to bend and machine and also softer and cheaper. Competition is great for the market and probably flattering to the inventor, but for me I'll take the original US designed and manufactured product.

Here is a video I made for my IC-R8600. They also fit the IC-7300 ...

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
My 9700 came with a set like AOR posted. I kind of like them, even though the radios are not moving from their spot on the desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.