Protesters Using Baofeng Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Not sure if the footage was from Portland or Seattle, but shows protester clad in black with elbow/knee guards and helmet with Baofeng in a holster on his shoulder. These are not 'protesters' and they are very organized, even with communications. Antifa? BLM? Who knows.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if the footage was from Portland or Seattle, but shows protester clad in black with elbow/knee guards and helmet with Baofeng in a holster on his shoulder. These are not 'protesters' and they are very organized, even with communications. Antifa? BLM? Who knows.

Running illegal frequencies and splattering all over the band too, I'm sure.

Bob1955

Boafeng=CCR Cheap Chinese Radios

Bob1955

Boafeng=CCR Cheap Chinese Radios
It is NOT illegal to own one, it is however illegal to TRANSMIT on POLICE/FIRE frequencies. I can't believe how many different models they manufacturer and NO transceiver has 8 watts output. That would fry your brain. What the f...k is wrong with Amazon.Com to sell and market this garbage and then to get away with it. It seems like the UV-5R is the best seller.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
It is illegal to transmit on any frequency with those radios unless you have an FCC license.It is not just Amazon. A couple of years ago at the Dayton Hamvention, there was a booth selling them and implying through their sales pitch that you could use them unlicensed.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The personalities and the radios are a perfect match. Both low quality and spurious emissions.

I agree.

I'll also point out that many "prepper" and self proclaimed "patriot" groups heavily use these CCR's also.
It has nothing at all to do with suspected political leanings, it has everything to do with being a tightwad and having zero understanding about anything related to two way radios.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hamvention…..that you could use them unlicensed.

It would be awesome if the FCC had some way of testing amateurs to make sure they understood the FCC rules. You know, some sort of test, maybe multiple choice where you only had to get 70% correct? I'd go as far as to suggest the FCC publish those rules online in some fashion.

I dunno, such a wild idea, it'll never work.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
...it has everything to do with being a tightwad and having zero understanding about anything related to two way radios.
Hey, that was me eight years ago! Don't do it! That Baofeng is a gateway drug. Next thing you know you'll have your Tech, General and Extra license and spend thousands on radio gear, or even worse....repeaters! There's no help for someone that runs a repeater, they're gone.

prcguy

I don't fault Amazon, they are just doing what any successful American company does, give the people what they want and take their money.

It is NOT illegal to own one, it is however illegal to TRANSMIT on POLICE/FIRE frequencies. I can't believe how many different models they manufacturer and NO transceiver has 8 watts output. That would fry your brain. What the f...k is wrong with Amazon.Com to sell and market this garbage and then to get away with it. It seems like the UV-5R is the best seller.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
It would be awesome if the FCC had some way of testing amateurs to make sure they understood the FCC rules. You know, some sort of test, maybe multiple choice where you only had to get 70% correct? I'd go as far as to suggest the FCC publish those rules online in some fashion.

I dunno, such a wild idea, it'll never work.

Sarcasm so thick you can cut it with a knife, I love it.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I agree.

I'll also point out that many "prepper" and self proclaimed "patriot" groups heavily use these CCR's also.
It has nothing at all to do with suspected political leanings, it has everything to do with being a tightwad and having zero understanding about anything related to two way radios.

Yep there is an active militia or prepper group around here somewhere that does their 'military' maneuvers in the woods just east of our subdivision now and then and I catch them on FRS frequencies. Quite a bit more activity in the last few months, and we hear more and more gunfire coming from that area. A guy one street over from me called the cops to report that a bullet hit his fishing boat in the driveway. I heard the call dispatched, but by that time they were gone, of course. We do not take that route anymore to get to our grocery store and Menards. On the weekends the road is lined with big 4x4s and jeeps. Another hammie told me he sees campfires out there at night. Getting to be a very strange world we live in.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yep there is an active militia or prepper group around here somewhere that does their 'military' maneuvers in the woods just east of our subdivision now and then and I catch them on FRS frequencies.

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but when I see these types of guys all I see is a bunch of grown men playing army. I don't care what they call themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.