• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ProVoice audio samples requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Why do the digital radios have too be encrypted

They don't have to be encrypted. An agency will encrypt a digital radio because there is no deteriation of the signal on receiving radios. With analog radios, there was quite a bit of deteriation of the signal.

RiceCake

They don't have to be encrypted. An agency will encrypt a digital radio because there is no deteriation of the signal on receiving radios. With analog radios, there was quite a bit of deteriation of the signal.

Thats actually incorrect, because the fact that it is digital is what fixes that. Unencrypted digital will sound identical on the receiving end as encrypted digital.

RiceCake

An agency will encrypt a digital radio because there is no deteriation of the signal on receiving radios.

An agency will use digital radio because there is no deterioration of the signal on receiving radios,
they only use encryption to protect the signal from eavesdroppers.

But regardless, its just a minor clarification, so whatever.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
An agency will use digital radio because there is no deterioration of the signal on receiving radios,
they only use encryption to protect the signal from eavesdroppers.

But regardless, its just a minor clarification, so whatever.

Okay, I see that you must have missed my point. My point being: encryption with digital is better than with analog. Nothing more, nothing less. People would steer away from using DES over analog because of the signal deteriation. Not so with digital. So therefore, more users are using encryption with digital.

The using encryption to protect the signal from eavesdroppers is a moot point. Why else would they use it? They are using it more these days because it sounds better for the users and it's cheaper than ever before.

So, no clarification needed...

RiceCake

Yeah I apologize, its just anyone uninformed may assume that people are just moving to "encrypted" radio because it sounds better, which would make digital scanners a pointless purchase. Fortunately radio manufacturer's haven't tried to pimp that out or I'm sure every digital signal out there would be encrypted. Scanners are still hanging on!

Plus DES can't be used over analog. You need 1's and 0's. I suppose the only real encryption you can get over analog is voice inversion, and that's like locking a door with a twig.

Damn digital age is ruining everything.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Yeah I apologize, its just anyone uninformed may assume that people are just moving to "encrypted" radio because it sounds better, which would make digital scanners a pointless purchase. Fortunately radio manufacturer's haven't tried to pimp that out or I'm sure every digital signal out there would be encrypted. Scanners are still hanging on!

Plus DES can't be used over analog. You need 1's and 0's. I suppose the only real encryption you can get over analog is voice inversion, and that's like locking a door with a twig.

Damn digital age is ruining everything.

DES has been used since the '70s over analog signals. I ran a contest here to see if anyone could break it. Only one came close. It's still up and running if you want to take a stab at it.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63775&highlight=des+contest

There is a lot to read through, but you'll find the files for your listening pleasure. Good luck cracking it! hehehe

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
DES has been used since the '70s over analog signals. I ran a contest here to see if anyone could break it. Only one came close. It's still up and running if you want to take a stab at it.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63775&highlight=des+contest

There is a lot to read through, but you'll find the files for your listening pleasure. Good luck cracking it! hehehe

I still get a chuckle out of all the know-it-alls saying it was too old and easy to crack :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.