• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ProVoice benefits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Can someone enlighten me as to whether there are benefits a ProVoice setup has over a conventional analog EDACS setup? I'm trying to figure out if agencies that activate ProVoice might be do so to take advantage of other features and are not doing so just to secure their comms from the general public, or for the "stellar voice quality"

Thayne

Good question, but only the "Shadow" knows the answer for sure. :)

I guess my answer is that if they have the capability to switch back & forth they will do it just to screw around.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Provoice is just M/A-Com's digital voice solution. When Albuquerque switched to it, they tested 2 radio at every location, one analog, and one provoice, many times the provoice audio came though and you could understand what the person was saying in weak signal areas vs just white noise on the analog. Besides that, I don't know of any other special things it does. ;-)

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Well aware that current consumer scanners can't monitor ProVoice. Just trying to figure out if there is any other reason for agencies to switch to ProVoice vs analog EDACS, or even ESK.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
ProVoice has had a horrid track record in the Denver metro area, while the statewide digital system that has been quite successful is Moto.

Thayne

Only because Aurora tried combining ProVoice with simulcasting, and never could get the multipath & timing problems solved & stable.

Intrinsically, ProVoice sounds as good as APCO-25 does.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if about 40 DTRS radios from all over the state came to Denver for a free breakfast or something and tried to talk back home to describe the eggs benedict to the hometown folks at the same time :p

MMIC

Any digital modulation will cover up RF "slop" that you hear in analog. Some interference, multipath, fading - all are covered up with digital (unless they are so significant as to drop the SNR to below the receiver's threshold) and provide a more uniform audio quality vs. signal strength. You can bet on about a 3-5 db decrease in coverage, however.

The bandwidth used for a digital signal is typically lower as well. With the FCC narrowing up emissions every so often, eventually digital will be the only way that the narrow carrier can carry voice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.