PROVOICE, Is there a Possibility??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
I realize technically there is no PROvoice here in Maine but do you think it would be wise to get the upgrade anyways and just maybe you will find a Federal agency on it possibly or has anyone even remotely tried to monitor Provoice and came up with nothing?

Im just wondering! Has anyone tried it at all??

ME343

ME/NH/VT DB Admin
Database Admin
EDACS is slowly going away....Most departments are choosing P25, DMR, or NXDN. Pro-voice just doesn't meet the standards anymore.

fredva

Feed Provider
ProVoice works on old EDACS systems, and any existing EDACS systems around your area would likely already be documented in the database.

jim202

A better way to answer your question is to point out that support for EDACS systems has reached end of life. Those systems that are still being used are for the most cases are all ready in line to be replaced. Those that haven't already started the process will find they will be swinging in the breeze shortly as support and spare parts will be hard to come by.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
So by the sounds of it and me doing that upgrade on my BCD996P2 isn't worth wasting the money!
THANKS

ChrisABQ

I need provoice because my department's actively using it. It's going away eventually. Wait for the NXDN update, more likely you'll use that.

K1IWN

Just my two cents on this... I just bought a BCD536HP and tried it for a day. I wasn't getting MSP monitoring I noticed. I upgraded both the ProVoice and the DMR and get it now.

While much of Maine, or at least my part of it in the foothills, is still on analog or CTCSS / PL tone. The train is coming. Portland & MSP (State of Maine everything, for that fact) have converted. More county systems are on the way eventually.

ecps92

ProVoice and DMR should have no impact on MSP who use P25 and Analog :confused:

Just my two cents on this... I just bought a BCD536HP and tried it for a day. I wasn't getting MSP monitoring I noticed. I upgraded both the ProVoice and the DMR and get it now.

While much of Maine, or at least my part of it in the foothills, is still on analog or CTCSS / PL tone. The train is coming. Portland & MSP (State of Maine everything, for that fact) have converted. More county systems are on the way eventually.

K1IWN

ProVoice and DMR should have no impact on MSP who use P25 and Analog :confused:

I may be wrong on that, but this is my experience so far. I could not get Maine State Police without the upgrades. There was nothing coming through, and the whole circle was loaded.

ecps92

Yes, most states implement similar systems. :cool:

However the Maine system (MSCOMNET) is P25 not DMR or Provoice.

There is a whole group of different services under the same communication system in Maine.

State police, game warden, forest service, EMA and other state agencies.

ecps92

Maine typically doesn't have any Federal DMR users. Analog and P25 Only

However they do get a Tourist here-n-there, but you need to be On-Site and they are Maritime-Mobile :cool:

A few of those tourists since 2001
USS George HW Bush CVN-77 - EDACS
USS Nassau LHA-4 - EDACS
USS Oak Hill LDS-51 - EDACS
USS San Antonio LPD-17 - EDACS
USS Whidbey Island LSD-41 - EDACS

Federal use P-25, there are rare cases like Los Alamos National Labs, but they as well have been moving over to P-25.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Maine typically doesn't have any Federal DMR users. Analog and P25 Only

However they do get a Tourist here-n-there, but you need to be On-Site and they are Maritime-Mobile :cool:

A few of those tourists since 2001
USS George HW Bush CVN-77 - EDACS
USS Nassau LHA-4 - EDACS
USS Oak Hill LDS-51 - EDACS
USS San Antonio LPD-17 - EDACS
USS Whidbey Island LSD-41 - EDACS

Thank you Bill for all your help. I think im just gonna pass on the Provoice upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.