• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Provoice Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

spud05

I'll be honest, I have no clue how this system works, so I'll just ask the quick question and possibly have you all laugh at me.

Say if I purchased an Ma/com Jaguar 700P, would I be able to use it to listen to communications on an EDACS Provoice system as long as it's not encrypted? And if so, would I be able to use it like a scanner, or can I only listen to one channel at a time?

Thayne

No reason to laugh; If you purchased the radio it would have to be programmed for the system(s) you want to hear. Programming could be a problem if any of the systems are using ESK. Also you could only listen to talkgroups that were programmed in, so no scanning everything. And lastly the radio would cost you about 3 grand if it was flashed with all the options, and if it was ever noticed to be transmitting on a trunked system you could go to jail & be fined.

spud05

Not sure what you mean by "all the options" but I was curious because I found one on ebay for less than $500. And as for transmitting, the radio itself doesn't transmit data or anything just by being on and listening, right? And thanks for the respons minus laughter :)

WCRadioGuy

Even at less than $500, it's not a bad price. It would be less expensive and would alleviate any legal hassles (should they arise) just to purchase a scanner.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
What about programming???

Unless you got a "brudder-in-law" that can program the thing for you, I don't think legit radio shops are going to touch it.

I maybe wrong on this one, but not sure the software to program, cable, etc. is something you are going to find easily.

Perhaps the above statement will bring those in the know out of the closet and inform us all...

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I've bought Ma-Com radios before and programmed them with no problem on trunked systems. There is an option for receive only and if you check it, the radio will never transmit (unlike Motorola radios).

Currently, I have an LPE-200 that is "flashed" for Provoice (Option 29). That is what you have to make sure of when you're shopping for these things on Ebay.

I am currently monitoring Wichita Falls, TX public safety, but only the fire department is unencrypted. I get all of their talk groups clear as a bell, but all I hear on a scanner is BUZZ. The only time I hear the police is whean the dispatcher puts out a BOLO.

Answer: Yes, you can monitor a provoice system as longer as it does not employ ESK or encryption.

spud05 said:
I was curious because I found one on ebay for less than $500.

they are getting cheaper because more and more ProVoice networks are using ESK. and programming an LPE-200 to work with ESK is nearly impossible without specialized hardware.

when ESK was still a rare find on EDACS networks, it was easy enough to program an LPE-200 into read-only trunked mode and listen to the various talkgroups. a little clunky, and not exactly a scanner, but it was doable.

now with ESK popping up all over, this programming isn't so easy anymore. ESK requires a cable and smartcard that is difficult to obtain. in fact, i often wonder which will happen first: 1) Uniden releases a ProVoice/ESK scanner 2) Price Industries releases an ESK programming cable, 3) i will find another hobby.

even then you'd STILL need the smartcard and proper key value loaded.

pain in the ass.

of course, you can still program an LPE-200 in "Conventional Mode" and scan through a series of frequencies to catch parts of conversations. ESK or no ESK.

TDHG4U61

Premium Subscriber
Provoice note

spud05 said:
I'll be honest, I have no clue how this system works, so I'll just ask the quick question and possibly have you all laugh at me.

Say if I purchased an Ma/com Jaguar 700P, would I be able to use it to listen to communications on an EDACS Provoice system as long as it's not encrypted? And if so, would I be able to use it like a scanner, or can I only listen to one channel at a time?

Just a note - be carefull what kind of radio you buy also. Although the radio may have the option code-29 in it, some radios like an LPE-200 requires the provoice board installed as well to decode it, (board + radio) one wont work without the other. I thought there was a Wiki section, info on radios what they can do regarding Provoice and enough memory to run it.

blah546

You also need to make sure it has the right amount of flash. This is from the wiki:

"In addition, you must have the C56 processor installed, you must be flashed with a ProVoice capable DSP, and you MUST have 1024Kb (1 Meg) of Flash memory on your LPE 200. Many LPE 200's do not have the C56 processor with the proper memory, and many radios have shown up on ebay with the correct feature code, but the incorrect hardware as outlined above. Be careful!"

There used to be a list in the wiki somewhere of model numbers and their capabilities (what kind of processor, etc), but I guess I'm too stupid to find it now. I have seen newer radio models not on that list, however.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
rescue161 said:
Answer: Yes, you can monitor a provoice system as longer as it does not employ ESK or encryption.

To completely answer his question you should tell him how to program it so it actually receives the system.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
n4voxgill said:
To completely answer his question you should tell him how to program it so it actually receives the system.

Now THAT is another story...lol I can't stand the way M/A-Com's software is set up. I does not flow in any kind of logical order like Motorola's does.

It's like it's built on tiers. You must do this before you that and so on... PITA

Status
Not open for further replies.