Pryme RD-98 thin whip is strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

The Pryme RD-98 is a 2M/440 amateur dual-band whip that is thin, and 17 inches long. It comes in SMA and BNC versions. The BNC version is entirely black with no markings. The SMA version has a gold knurl on the connector.

They work great for general purpose scanning, and despite the looks of the thin whip, they are actually strong, despite what I've read elsewhere. I purposely destroyed one to find out the limitations. I also destroyed a Diamond RH-77CA in the same way. Result: The Pryme survives much better!

I chose these for their light weight, and most importantly, their much lower mass than other antennas that I have been using - mainly because I wanted less stress on my consumer-level antenna connectors on my scanners.

I tested them by being willing to actually destroy them. I bent the element on the Pryme at a 90 degree angle all along its length, and could not obtain a permanent bend. I went further and bent it right over at the end of the connector at 90 degrees. The Pryme sprang back - still maintaining connectivity to the center conductor.

The only way I could put a permanent bend in the Pryme RD-98 was to bend it back upon itself at 180 degrees, where the element actually runs down the side of the connector! I don't envision doing this under normal circumstances.

I took my Diamond RH-77CA, and bent it over at 90 degrees right at the edge of the connector - result: a permanent bend over which only sprung back to 45 degrees.

I BEAT on the Pryme doing this test over and over at 90 degrees at the connector edge, and couldn't put a permanent bend in it. Do that ONCE with the Diamond, and game over.

I'm sold - the low mass of the thin Pryme whip makes it very easy to use on my small Icom R6 without immediately tipping over. Used on my RS Pro-106, if it falls the Pryme will take the flex, rather than ripping out the bnc like my Diamond RH-77 did when all the leverage went into the bnc during a fall off my desk. (actually it disconnected the internal wire from the circuit board)

I don't know what other reviewers are doing to bend their Pryme's, but it certainly isn't from *normal* use. Rather than rely on mere looks, I tried to kill it, and found it MUCH stronger than you would think.

I have no problem recommending these, unless you go out of your way to break them.

nanZor

Yep, Frys, and of course at Pryme itself:
Pryme Radio Products

Reception is about equal to the Diamond RH77 all around - even on 800 mhz where neither one is really tuned for. For GRE users, this might actually be a blessing in disguise. :)

I even think it is a quite suitable replacement for VHF airband monitoring - unless I want hard-core milair coverage, I don't pull out the airband Maldol AL-500H either.

SCPD

QRT
an electronics store in canada i think

Fry's is in the USA ....

As of May 2007, Fry's Electronics operates 34 brick-and-mortar stores in nine U.S. states: California (17 stores - Most Recent: Roseville, California); Texas (8); Arizona (2); Georgia (2); Illinois (1); Indiana (1); Nevada (1); Oregon (1); and Washington (1)

Last edited:

Nasby

You can also try any one of the many ham radio dealers on the net such as AES, Universal Radio, Gigaparts, etc. I think they all carry them.

2009KVFD976

Is there an antenna similar to this but NMO roof mount? Iv been running maxrad and antenex 1/4 whip antennas on the roof and after about 4-6 months, they are broke from drive thrus and low hanging limbs. ive tried a stico flexi whip and it hasnt broken yet, but im less than impressed with the gains compared to the others ive used before. i know theres one out there but idk who makes them. its almost identical to the pryme rd98.

Status
Not open for further replies.