PS 107 Won't "Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjack

Premium Subscriber
Followed all directions , everything is showing in the playlists. When I hit play, it scans thru the playlists and nothing is recieved. I monitor my 162 at the same time and I get transmissions in both common and trunked system (Sacramento Regional). Once in a while I get a hit on my Playlist#1-- Yuba County- but thats it- I have alll playlists enabled
What step or setting on/off did I miss on the set up of the 107-- I been messing with this for a week now and for the " perfect scanner for a novice or everyday guy" I had less trouble programming my 162.
I'm so crossed up now I'm wondering if it's me or maybe a defective unit.
Thanks, Jack

dxradio2003

Pro-107

Hi,

I have noticed when loading the Sacramento Region, be sure and put the "city system" and "county system" in two different banks. I had the same problem and fixed it by doing the above.

Incidentally, the scanner program will show it listed together under the trunking tab, however, just be sure use two different banks.

I also understand that Sacramento will be rebanding very soon.

---dxradio

justjack

Premium Subscriber
That should make one issue easier so thanks for the great tip.
My problem still lies in the fact that when I first started I took the guigancwe of the manual and only uploaded one playlist , the Yuba County/ Marysville conventional channels
I folowed the install prompts , go back to main menu, hit Play>+ or the> button and --nuthin'.
All the while my 162 is picking up all transmissions in the same band. That's where I figure it's either operator error/ignorance or something is more haywire than I can put right.
Knock it around, maybe we'll come up with something or not.
Thanks for the time and I will take advantage of there other suggestion.
Jack

dxradio2003

Pro-107

Hi,

The other thing that seemed to help the overall performance was updating the firmware. I think it is up to version 1.6 and it made the scanner work better, overall.

Otherwise, I have/had almost all the other radios out there (since 1970) and this is always one of my favorites. Now if it did digital........

---dxradio

justjack

Premium Subscriber
like I said everything is up to date, this is the only problem I have , and the only problem I have with my scanner experience-- it's a PS -107 that wont receive the input frequencies when you hit the play command .I bought this radio because I travel and figured it to be seamless for what I wanted for a push and go. So fatit ain't and I'm home. I 'm not stupid .It's either get it square if its my mistake or it goes to the pile and the RS -107 goes down in my book as a POS. I don't want to do that , maybe I got a lemon? Who knows? That's why I trust you and ask for specific inputs guys.
Thanks, Jack

rwier

Also, a quick "GOOGLE" for PS 107 returns hits related to "Play Stations" but not "Scanners"?

I've owned a lot of scanners, but none had a "Play" button.

Rob

Last edited:

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Let's try some basic items, can you receive yout local NWS station on the radio?

Have you updated the firmware in the radio?

Have you downloaded the latest library, I think it is 101?

justjack

Premium Subscriber
updates are all current I just noticed something odd, my WX comes in with a strong signal but if I move the radio around it will lose signal and the screen becomes blurry.I shook it a little and signals seem to go in and out depending which way I hold it. I've got a RS 800hz antenna on it which works as well as should be expected on my 162 up here in the bushes.
I wonder now if this thing got dropped? It was an e-bay buy

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
The screen becomes blurry, because of signal loss.

Actually, it's the frequency readout that is blurry and the 107 is trying to lock into one of the 7 stations. "...move the radio around it will lose signal and the screen becomes blurry.I shook it a little and signals seem to go in and out...). Mine does the same thing. The 800 antenna isn't the best for receiving the WX stations.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Holding the radio steady and GENTLY moving the antenna back and forth, does the NWS station come in strong and then disapear? How far are you from a NWS transmitter site? Here is the coverage map for the Sacramento area, If you are in the WHITE area, the signal could come in strong. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/Maps/PHP/site.php?State=CA&Site=KEC57

Also, Radio Shack will, for $20, check the radio out at one of the service centers and let you know is there is anything wrong in side of the radio.

Last edited:

justjack

Premium Subscriber
yeah Doug I hit off Wolf Mountain in Nevada City 162. 400. I also can hit on the bay area on channel 2wx
Antenna seem fine, what strikes me as odd as I move the radio the transmission stops and the LED display seems to fade out/ blur up in just the channel # and first digit of the 162 . I'm away from any other devices. its just hit and miss- like a gyro directional woo-eeee-wooo deal and getting weirder by the minute. Almost reminds me of the days when the old man used to send me up on the roof to hold the antenna while he watched the fights on Friday nights!
Always can blame it on solar flares I reckon.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Do you have RADIANT BARRIER or STEEL shingles? Both can attenuate signals and impact reception.

Can you list what systems / towns you are trying to monitor? Looks like the SRRCS has some digital stuff and maybe some of the analog channels listed have changed to P25 which that scanner will not receive. If you are trying to monitor this system, did you put in both sites?

justjack

Premium Subscriber
just a regular old house out here where my 162 works dandy. I'll do my homework on that other stuff and get back to you.. now I got horses to feed..I'm really appreciating the help nd the education so aI\I'll do my best to keep up-- thanks Doug

dxradio2003

Pro-107

Hi,

I think your issue is with that particular radio. The symptoms you describe seems like a problem with that radio. I absolutely love my Pro-107 and it seems to work well, even on the Sacramento regional system.

One Pro-107 I repaired had a problem internally with the antenna connector (resolder issue). Another had a display fade issue, which was returned. Other than that, they seem like pretty rugged scanners. Although not public safety quality (mostly the case), I admire the internal construction of the unit.

---dxradio

justjack

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Dx I'm inclined to agree- should I find a fixer or write it off?
Doug suggested the RS guys but maybe you might know of someone else who needs a projegt.
Again, thanks to all my RRF pals for all the input and advice -- it makes it a lot more fun for a new guy like mw.
Jack

dxradio2003

Pro-107

Hi,

That's a tough question. I am not sure what the total cost may be for a RS fix. If it is $50 or less, I'd go for it. If it is more, I'd get another (Pro-107) scanner if you did not require digital. I think I heard that Sacramento may be going P-25 digital, however, I am not certain.

Hope this helps.

---dxradio

justjack

Premium Subscriber
Heck yeah , Dx- it all helps . If you guys keep helping out the newbie boneheads like me it only makes this a better hobby instead of a chore.. I'm radio savvy in the air but ground comms ain't my baliwick.
I really like my 162 - just wanted this cause it sounded like a no brainer for when we travel, kind of a "oops theres a jam up ahead whats up "sort of tool. I sure like the premise-- I hope that the companies don't abandon the idea stream.
Good Luck.
Jack

justjack

Premium Subscriber
Well boys, what with just ran thru here in the bushes , I didn't no radio-- just stick yer head out the door!

K1VQP

I'm having the same problem with mine now, it was working fine until last night. I can receive NWS and conventional frequencies, but not any trunked channels. I've updated the latest library and firmware, playlists are all enabled. It will scan through the playlists, but doesn't receive any.

Any thoughts on this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.