PSE&G P25 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

joey123

any one know if pseg still uses the radio sytem I live in south jersery have not herd nothing in months

sacharoffm

PSE&G is using there system. They are in the process of a system upgrade to a new P25 Phase II 900MHz system. For coverage in South Jersey it depends on where you live they might not have coverage there.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Yes, PSE&G is still using their system. Currently in analog voice mode, I am aware that the radio repair techs have been working on it as of late. I have not seen on the FCC licenses or heard any confirmation so far as to a transition to P25 Phase II as of yet; however I would not rule it out since the new radios that have been (or are currently are being) installed in the trucks are 900 MHz narrow band. I am also aware that PSE&G has spent several millions of dollars upgrading this system as of late, so I myself am waiting too see if a P25 Control Channel shows up.

Also, they use the MDT and Cellular PTT very frequently as well, especially the Gas Dept., which may be the reason why you would not hear as much voice traffic as in the past.

sacharoffm

PSE&G will be a full time Phase II system. They are aiming for and October cut over date to the new system. Sites have all the new gear installed and ready to go. Antenna work is currently being done site by site. Testing will begin there after on the new system. Once I can confirm the control channels being used I will update.

sacharoffm

We are currently in the process of discussing if we will stay on the PSE&G system or move to the NJICS. This will not happen until after July for us.

Monoxide16

Thank you again for the info. I have the pro668 but the audio on that thing is horrible! Should of never got that. Think in a few weeks I'm gonna buy the BCD436. How's the audio on that?

GM

Premium Subscriber
PSE&G P25 Conversion

"They are in the process of a system upgrade to a new P25 Phase II 900MHz system."

I was told recently by a reliable source that this should happen sometime in the Spring, depending on when the radio techs have completed all of the new radio installs. Once completed, the switch-over to P25 should happen quickly, as the new radios already have the new system and talkgroups programmed already, as already stated previously...

Analogrules

You should be able to hear their new system, as long as they don't decide to encrypt (which I doubt they would). But, any digital system these days "could" easily encrypt with just a flip of a switch on their radios. However, if they go the DMR route, then obviously only a DMR enabled scanner could monitor them.

PSEG uses cell phones very often to communicate, so my prediction is even if they go to a normal P25 digital system, there may not be too much chatter on it. I noticed over the years that their current system has become more quiet too.

Keep in mind that PSEG also has several licenses on VHF and UHF analog for communication/security at their generator locations and garages. I think those are on simplex.

asnhnetwork

Any word if they will be patched or linked to PSE&G Long Island? Close subsidiary that they could be working with quite a bit.

Analogrules

I just noticed the RR DB just updated every single tg on the PSEG system. It separates the Departments by North, Central, and South however fails to indicate which counties are in each category. Furthermore, I cannot understand the wording for most channels. For example, what if I just wanted to hear the main dispatch for power outage calls in my area? I have no idea which tg that would be.

GM

Premium Subscriber
The database was updated to reflect the actual wording of the talkgroup designations as they are on the radios used. I have no idea what some of them mean either; but I do know that they are 100% accurate.

As far as your other question regarding Electric Power Dispatch, that was answered here http://forums.radioreference.com/ne...seg-frequencies-union-county.html#post2219004 in the past and has not changed. They have Electric Divisions, Gas Divisions, and Generation Divisions, most of which are listed in the database already. Palisades Electric (Palisades area), Metro Electric (Jersey City/Newark area), Central Electric (parts of Middlesex and Union Counties), Southern Electric (part of Burlington and Mercer Counties) Divisions. The Gas Departments have their respective Divisions as well: Oradell, Oakland, Orange, Jersey City, Plainfield, Clifton, Summit, Harrison, Trenton, New Brunswick, Burlington, Audubon, etc.

They are not broken down specifically by County, but rather by unique area boundaries that are set up by PSE&G, JCP&L, Atlantic City Power, Elizabethtown Gas, and O&R Utilities.

I had a chance to view the coverage map once for Gas and Electric - it's rather mind boggling how the coverage is provided. There was an area where one side of the street was covered by JCP&L and the other side PSE&G, all in the same town!

Analogrules

When the db changes wording, it should make it easier for the average scanner user to understand what the TG is used for, rather than what crews see on their radios.

In the past, I did hear PSEG on a separate frequency at 938.250 I believe, while working in Ekizabeth and Roselle. I inquired about it and was told it was simulcasted on a certain TG. (Not sure if it was their main dispatch or not). Someone also mentiined Edison when answering my question two years ago, even though I was asking about Roselle, Roselle Park area. At times I hear PD say that will contact PSEG for an immediate response, but I NEVER hear it dispatched on the PSEG system. So, I still think they use some other frequency, talkgroup, or possible cell phone in my area.

GM

Premium Subscriber
I'm hearing what sounds like a P25 Control Channel type sound on 936.6500 in the Edison area. I confirmed that it's coming from their tower, but no P25 info populates on my PSR 500, nor is unitrunker decoding anything at all. It sorta sounds like a P25 Control Channel in a wind tunnel type of effect. Can other users around the State verify if they have the same sound, even perhaps check the 935-940 MHz band for this strange sound? FCC records indicates it's a Temporary Authorization.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
When Motorola installed new ASTRO 25 systems, they will often broadcast a test pattern when putting a site online. There is nothing to decode, even though it does sound akin to a control channel. That is almost certainly what you're hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.