PSEG Frequencies for Union County??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

I have asked this before about 7 years ago, but still haven't learned any updated information in the past several years. The 900 MHz Trunked system does not seem to cover Union County locations such as Roselle, Union, Cranford, etc...and come in much too weak to provide coverage for this area. Can anyone confirm how they dispatch pole workers in this area? I can confirm hearing their internal building communications on 153.545 and 464.325 (Linden plant operations). But, not their road crews. I have monitored many of the frequencies listed in the RR database, but never caught anything. I am thinking perhaps they are in the 1.2 gig range or just text each other on cell phones. Did anyone confirm hearing them dispatched to Union County locations on a particular frequency? I remember after Sandy, I was very disappointed that I still didn't have their frequency for my area.

GM

Premium Subscriber
I believe they operate on Channels 81-95, which are the talkgroups 2576-3024 in the database. Certain channels cover the Edison region, while the other ones cover the Elizabeth region. Chances are, Cranford, Union, etc. are covered by the Elizabeth region ones. They also operate using the MDT network, as well as Nextel type phones.

SCPD

QRT
PSeg

if you use the file Radio Reference has,you will hear most traffic is in that area.If you hear nothing you eithe rdont hear the control channel or they are working off MDT.Its active during the day usually 8-5 or when theres a storm.Alot of people have trouble hearing this ,the 436HP gets it rather nice.

Analogrules

Well, according to the counties covered within the 900 Trunked system, Union County is NOT included. See link. Public Service Electric & Gas Co. (PSE&G) Trunking System, Various, New Jersey - Scanner Frequencies

It seems the North TG's cover Essex county and Bergen. While Central covers Middlesex and probably Somerset. But, Union County isn't mentioned. They also don't have a repeater site in Union County either, which probably explains the poor reception. They must be using something else here. I know Nextel was mentioned....I may take that bet also. I am not sure what MDT stands for.

Analogrules

I finally found them for Union County and confirmed! I was right, they do NOT use that same Trunked system used further north. I confirmed the pole wokers this morning working in Roselle and Elizabeth on 938.250 MHz. They are also licensed under the same call letters for Elizabeth, NJ but no confirmation, on 936.200, 936.2125, 936.9125, 936.925, and 937.000. These should be posted under the Utility section in the database under Union County.

GM

Premium Subscriber
I believe those might be simulcast frequencies for certain talkgroups. I will investigate further this week when I have more time to play with my toys. :)

AlexC

Database Admin
The system is 10 site simulcast Smartnet - every talkgroup is carried on every site across the state. If the traffic is on the system you will hear it.

GM

Premium Subscriber
I had a few minutes earlier today, and noticed that talkgroup 2608 (Channel 82 as referred to by PSE&G crews) is re-transmitted on 936.92500 PL 192.8 in the Edison area. I'm aware that there are other channels/talkgroups that are re-transmitted as well on these freq's listed above. I'll see what else I can dig up as I search around. :)

Analogrules

Wow, very interesting. TG 2608 is listed for Central Jersey. Then, those must be the talkgroups that include operations in Union County. Now, I just find it odd they have certain talkgroups re-transmitted on other frequencies outside the Trunked frequencies. But, obviously that's how they have it set up according to your confirmation. This begs the question, what other specific talkgroups are being simulcasted on separate frequencies? What are these particular frequencies? It would be nice if radio reference can include all this information broken down clearly in the database. When I click on Utilities under Union County, it would be nice to see the talkgroups and frequencies set aside alone for union county. Of course this should go for all counties lacking information.

AlexC

Database Admin
This begs the question, what other specific talkgroups are being simulcasted on separate frequencies? What are these particular frequencies?

I'd try looking at their licenses and going through it methodically using a radio to try and figure it out. That's how it's been done for years before RR came about... Lots of listening and charting the spectrum.

If I had to guess they are using those as "fill in sites" where maybe they acquired a area/region from another company or something where the trunk does not cover. They can't use intellipeaters because the system is not Smartzone. Who knows if they are planning an upgrade.... It's a huge system (280 transmitters) that needs replacing and that's just the FNE stuff.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.