PSERN replaced KCERS Now what do I do with my scanner?

kd7yvv

I have a BCD-396XT scanner. For quite a long time I was able to listen to KCERS
in the Seattle area. Now that the system has been upgraded to Phase II, I understand my radio will no longer be able to monitor this system. It is my understanding that a scanner that can monitor the new system is upwards of 300 dollars with some as high as 700.
I'd be interested in learning from those more knowledgeable about what options are available to me. Should I sell the scanner and save up for a new one? Limit myself to online feeds? I do live near a firehouse and do hear the sirens whenever they go out on a call. It would be sad to let a still useful radio just sit idle. Thank you for reading.

SA_tx_88116

Rather listen than to stream
I wouldn’t sell that radio there has to be something else for you to listen to, just search around in the RR database for Seattle. You could also listen to airports businesses hospitals and surprisingly Indian reservations and amateur radio although there is not much too listen to as most radio users In Seattle use DMR and NXDN which you can only listen to if you have bought an upgrade for your radio. And for a new radio I would recommend the following, Whistler TRX-1 Digital Handheld Police Scanner | Scanner Master this radio is if you want to listen to business and police,
Police Radio, Uniden HomePatrol-2 Police Scanner, Policescanner Radios | Scanner Master this radio is just a basic p25 phase 1 and 2 radio.
Uniden Bearcat BCD436HP Police Scanner | ScannerMaster.com this radio is a very good radio which will give you your bang for your buck.
Uniden Bearcat BCD325P2 Police Scanner Radio | Scanner Master this is an older cheaper radio capable of p25 phase 1 and 2 and is sold for a price of around $400. Remember you can also buy a used radio from EBAY.

kd7yvv

Thank you for your reply. I'm used to the 396 and the 436HP looks like it might fit the bill nicely. I'll have to see what the difference between the 436HP and 325P2 is.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your reply. I'm used to the 396 and the 436HP looks like it might fit the bill nicely. I'll have to see what the difference between the 436HP and 325P2 is.
The 325P2 is basically the replacement model for the 396XT. It's in a smaller body than the 396XT, and only uses two AA batteries. As such, the battery life is not near as what you see on the 396XT & other 3-cell scanners. Battery life, of course, depends on how much activity you are hearing, and how loud you have the audio set. You don't have the programmable display colors like you can assign to specific agencies or services in the 396XT. Programming on these two scanners is the same, so a 396XT file from FreeSCAN would be usable in the 325P2. Of course, the 325P2 can do P25 Phase II systems, and can get the upgrades for DMR & NXDN if those interest you. The ProVoice upgrade is also available, but those systems are dwindling as the format is no longer supported by the manufacturer, so unless you had a ProVoice system of interest near you, and you can confirm that a transition to a different operating format (such as P25 Phase I or Phase II) is not already in progress, the ProVoice upgrade would be a waste of money. Both the 396XT & 325P2 are DMA scanners.

The 436HP is larger than either the 396XT as well as the 325P2. It is a database scanner, so you can use the RR database along with location & a range to start scanning quickly, while you work to create one or more Favorites lists for the systems that interest you. You can download & install Sentinel before you get a 436HP (or a different one on the x36HP & SDS product lines. That would let you 'test drive' the software. Sentinel is free, provided by Uniden. You would need Sentinel for database updates and to apply any firmware updates that might eventually be provided. However, you can try ProScan and ARC536 on a free trial basis to see if you like either of them better. ProScan can import your existing 396XT programming file and use that in creating a new Favorites list for your scanner. Having three cells, the battery like on the 436HP is longer than the two of the 325P2. It has a programmable alert LED (instead of the colored display of the 396XT) to use for selected agencies or service types. The DMR, NXDN, and ProVoice upgrades are also available for the 436HP. Being a database scanner, the 436HP has the replay feature so that you can review the most recent transmissions it has received. Or, you can set it to record all transmissions for later review. The supplied USB cable, used for programming & updates on the 436HP, is identical to the one packaged with the 325P2. There are a number of Wiki pages, posts here on RadioReference, as well as dozens of videos on YouTube regarding programming & operation of the 436HP & the other Uniden database scanners.

Unlike the SDS series scanners, neither the 325P2 nor 436HP are 'simulcast proof', but in my experience in the DFW metro area, the 436HP is somewhat better than the 325P2. The 436HP is usually about $100 more than the 325P2, but it does have more features.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Unless you're happy with getting only "a few bucks" for it, I'd keep the older model. As far as monitoring the new Phase II system, options are limited if you want to listen with a scanner (only the SDS-100 & SDS-200 are available that can do it). Other listening options include listening to others' streams or setting up a PC with a dongle. The dongle isn't all that expensive, but not for the faint of heart.

KD7QLU

in the Seattle area. Now that the system has been upgraded to Phase II, I understand my radio will no longer be able to monitor this system. It is my understanding that a scanner that can monitor the new system is upwards of 300 dollars with some as high as 700.
I'd be interested in learning from those more knowledgeable about what options are available to me. Should I sell the scanner and save up for a new one? Limit myself to online feeds? I do live near a firehouse and do hear the sirens whenever they go out on a call. It would be sad to let a still useful radio just sit idle. Thank you for reading.
Same issue happened for me south of you in Portland-Vancouver. I bought the 436HP and have been very happy with it.

kd7yvv

Unlike the SDS series scanners, neither the 325P2 nor 436HP are 'simulcast proof', but in my experience in the DFW metro area, the 436HP is somewhat better than the 325P2. The 436HP is usually about $100 more than the 325P2, but it does have more features.
Thank you Hiegtx, I'm still learning about the newer stuff.
I was used to listening to KCERS where I would have it on in the background searching for talkgroup IDs. If you don't mind, can you tell me what you mean by 'simulcast proof'? As I understand it, simulcast means a station broadcasting on two frequencies, like an AM and FM radio station playing the same song etc. and having the same call letters. So is this like two sites that are broadcasting the same information on the same frequency from two different locations?

kd7yvv

Same issue happened for me south of you in Portland-Vancouver. I bought the 436HP and have been very happy with it.
I've been looking at this radio. I'll have to do more research on this one.
Thank you for your reply. I'm learning about this stuff as best I can.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I use my old analogs for Skywarn.