PSP and News Media Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Forgive me if this was already discussed but I found little of this on the forum search...How does local news media cover traffic and other incidents in areas patrolled by PSP? I guess what I'm getting at is if they cannot be monitored via public safety radio, does PSP call in local traffic trouble spots? Or have media outlets been provided with high cost custom made receive only radios to monitor PSP?

aquadan005

Forgive me if this was already discussed but I found little of this on the forum search...How does local news media cover traffic and other incidents in areas patrolled by PSP? I guess what I'm getting at is if they cannot be monitored via public safety radio, does PSP call in local traffic trouble spots? Or have media outlets been provided with high cost custom made receive only radios to monitor PSP?

Traffic in this area is monitored by Penndot on PSP patrolled highways. The traffic cameras are acessable via the web. News outlets monitor these feeds and get the balance from contacting the PSP directly in unmonitored areas.

Last edited:

Septa3371CSX1

There is really not much activity on the Media frequencies in this area anymore. I haven't heard anything on Shadow Traffic in a quite some time. I've also not heard much from 10 and 29 in the past few months. 29 used to use radios for all their comms. The only ones I've heard are Choppers 3 and 6. So the only frequencies you really need for the Philly Media are the Chopper freqs.

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
wnep

As a reporter for WNEP TV (www.wnep,com) I can says that as we get new cars the two way radio systems do not get installed (which I think is a mistake)
We rely on cell phones to communicate with the station.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I concur with Joe. Chopper 3 and Chopper 6 are pretty much all you'll hear any more and you don't even hear all that much from them. Fox 29 and NBC 10 combined resources back in late 2008 or early 2009 and now share a chopper, although I have not heard it on the air in some time. It was using the NBC freqs, I believe. SkyFox has been off the air since that time. Since I don't usually watch either station, I'm not sure if they still use much helo footage or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.