PSP Transition to STARNET (OpenSky) Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
Tac 1 is still in use in my area . Most of the time it is incident related as in trooper locations or directions to an incident . Sometimes it may be where they will meet up for an "88".

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the air units will continue to use VHF because they would trip off too many 800mhz repeaters.

As far as I know, that issue was resolved with software upgrades to the radio equipment. I could be wrong about that, but I thought I saw it mentioned in radio steering committee meeting minutes before the minutes became unavailable.

Septa3371CSX1

Was up in the Allentown area on Saturday and heard on PSP B base that someone was having coverage problems. Not sure if it was Fogelsville or someone else. I was on US 22 when I heard it.

Steveradio

155.6700 CHB still in use heavy for regular traffic in Fogelsville (Lehigh Co) Swiftwater & Fern Ridge (Monroe/Carbon Counties)

I also p/up Norristown calling Philadelphia units often on CHB as well.
155.9100 CHB Car of course...

TAC1 is used heavey as well for chit chat, Troop M Fogelsville likes using the "Chat"
feature for the MDT but otherwise all communications are still clear VHF.. Interstate cars also use CH.B.. Herd lots of complaints in my area from troopers about the system. PENNDOT is full time 800Mhz but thats it as far as I know.

155.6700 CHB Base
155.9100 CHB Car
155.4600 TAC1
151.4900 TAC2 Air Operations mostly on I78/22

TAC3 was herd last night by a friend of mine, 155.7900 but never herd activity on myself in the Lehigh area.

155.5800 CHA Base
154.9500 CHA Car

are used by PSP Bethlehem who covers 22 East from 309 and PSP Belfast also in Northampton Co

captclint

Mentor
State Police are still using
Channel C Base 155.505 186.2
Channel C Mob 155.850 186.2
as of August 19. 2009
You didn't say where, or what troop, but based on your avatar, that would be PSP Wyoming Troop P stations. Or are you also including Honesdale?

Last edited:

Steveradio

Woops you reminded be about PSP Lehighton also on 155.505 CH.C not as active but its still used.

What will be the Central Dispatch Center (CDC) for this area if they ever get one up and running?

Herd Hazelton at one point, Norrisstown & Harrisburg are the only two the side I know of in service..

Thanks
Steve

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Woops you reminded be about PSP Lehighton also on 155.505 CH.C not as active but its still used.

What will be the Central Dispatch Center (CDC) for this area if they ever get one up and running?

Herd Hazelton at one point, Norrisstown & Harrisburg are the only two the side I know of in service..

Thanks
Steve

From the PSP page at Wikipedia:

The Harrisburg CDC will become the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) for all PSP stations in Troops H, J, and L.

Norristown CDC will become the PSAP for all PSP stations in Troops K, and M.

The remaining three CDCs will be located in Greensburg, Clarion, and Pittston. The Greensburg CDC will cover Troops A, B, and G; the Clarion CDC will cover Troops C, D, and E; the Pittston CDC will cover Troops F, N, P, and R. Troop T stations are dispatched by the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission at its Highspire headquarters.

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
question

Ben:

Are the radio steering comittee notes available online? If not where do I file a Right to Know Law request for them?

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Ben:

Are the radio steering comittee notes available online? If not where do I file a Right to Know Law request for them?

No, the minutes are not publicly available online. They were available on a secure server that was limited to authorized users, but that is gone. I would assume that you'd have to file the request with the Office of Administration since that is who oversees the radio project.

Steveradio

You can add Troop M5 Fogeslville NOW to the list!!

Just this week they started to migrate over, PSP is still using CHB and Mobile to Mobile heavy but all calls are now via STARNET...

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Blooming Grove may be close to full use/activation. Heard dispatch and a car today (on legacy VHF) having trouble with the "emergency button" being activated on a radio and unable to be reset or shut off.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Just a note that I changed Avondale to STARNET on the wiki page. I was working in southern Chesco several days during the past two weeks and heard not a peep on any day from Avondale. Embreeville in northern Chesco is still using Channel G right now. I may be back in the London Grove area next week some time, so I can do some more listening to check for Avondale traffic then.

ctrabs74

Just a note that I changed Avondale to STARNET on the wiki page. I was working in southern Chesco several days during the past two weeks and heard not a peep on any day from Avondale. Embreeville in northern Chesco is still using Channel G right now. I may be back in the London Grove area next week some time, so I can do some more listening to check for Avondale traffic then.

I did see a trooper at the Chester County Justice Center in West Chester with one of the new OpenScam radios, so it looks as though you're correct about Avondale making the switch to the "dark side."

It's probably only a matter of time before Embreeville crosses over, meaning half of law enforcement coverage in Chester County will be unmonitorable (and the other half covered by Chester County's POS trunk system - save for West Chester).

Status
Not open for further replies.