Lehighton - 2008 Q4
All other stations - 2009

Troop P
All stations - 2009

Troop R
Gibson - 2008 Q3
All other stations - 2009

Septa3371CSX1

You left out Troop T (which I believe will not be moving to the Open Scam (ah hem, Open Sky) system anytime soon). Also, if Philadelphia isn't scheduled to move to Open Scam, does that mean they will stay on VHF forever or just for an indefinate amount time?

Steveradio

I have a feeling Troop M is still going to fight and be very last to switch, Still don't understand why Philadelphia and those others in Troop K have not scheduled or are last to even get on system. You would think they would be first?

Kind of funny that still hear Reading & Hamburg heavy on CH. E talked with a trooper Friday night from Hamburg and said he still prefers the VHF "Old System" even when out of the car. Harrisburg will yell and ask why your not using 800 radio.

Steve

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
You left out Troop T (which I believe will not be moving to the Open Scam (ah hem, Open Sky) system anytime soon). Also, if Philadelphia isn't scheduled to move to Open Scam, does that mean they will stay on VHF forever or just for an indefinate amount time?

I did not forget Troop T. Troop T was not on the map that I saw showing the latest timeline. I would venture a guess that Troop T will go whenever the Turnpike Commission goes since they work hand in hand.

I have no idea what the issue may be with PSP Philly. Skippack has been silent since making the switch. SE PA has some of the best coverage in the state.

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
Have there been any stories (official or otherwise) of critical failures of PSP using OpenSky?

Mattsenft

Premium Subscriber
Well quarter 2 has come and gone and Harrisburg and Lykens are still on VHF. Has anyone heard what is going on with the scheduled switch? The last I heard was another round of firmware updates for the radios was forthcoming prior to any more switches being made.

daneg

Would PSP lancaster ever go back to what they were using since our county has said no to open sky? It just seems odd they are in our county but are using a completely different system.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Would PSP lancaster ever go back to what they were using since our county has said no to open sky? It just seems odd they are in our county but are using a completely different system.

No. STARNet is the state's new radio system. It is based on OpenSky technology. Lancaster County had their own OpenSky based system they were working on (now scrapped). The state isn't going to change what they're doing state wide because one county of 67 changed their mind. Odd is the name of the game in the Commonwealth of PA.

daneg

No. STARNet is the state's new radio system. It is based on OpenSky technology. Lancaster County had their own OpenSky based system they were working on (now scrapped). The state isn't going to change what they're doing state wide because one county of 67 changed their mind. Odd is the name of the game in the Commonwealth of PA.

Yeah, ahh well. It would be nice to be able to pick them up haha.

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
Quick question for the PA experts. I will be traveling through PA up to NY in the next couple of weeks. Is PSP still operating on the VHF frequencies listed in the RR? Also, is it correct that STARNET (OpenSky) can not and will not be able to be monitored?
Thanks in advance!
David

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Quick question for the PA experts. I will be traveling through PA up to NY in the next couple of weeks. Is PSP still operating on the VHF frequencies listed in the RR? Also, is it correct that STARNET (OpenSky) can not and will not be able to be monitored?
Thanks in advance!
David

In some areas, yes, PSP is still on VHF. What corridor will you be travelling? I believe most, is not all, of the stations covering I-81 are still using VHF. If you're running I-476, everything will be VHF (mostly the PA Turnpike VHF system). I don't know about VHF over along the I-79 corridor (some stations out that way are on STARNet).

You are correct that OpenSky technology cannot be monitored with a scanner.

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
In some areas, yes, PSP is still on VHF. What corridor will you be travelling? I believe most, is not all, of the stations covering I-81 are still using VHF. If you're running I-476, everything will be VHF (mostly the PA Turnpike VHF system). I don't know about VHF over along the I-79 corridor (some stations out that way are on STARNet).

You are correct that OpenSky technology cannot be monitored with a scanner.

I will be travelling I-81 so hopefully I will luck out. Thanks for the info and confirming the OpenSky technology.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Just bumping this old thread since several people have asked about the topic lately and to note that several of the areas slated for transition in 2008 seem to be delayed yet again, at least based on monitoring reports.

Maybe one of the message board admins could put this as a sticky post?

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Well quarter 2 has come and gone and Harrisburg and Lykens are still on VHF. Has anyone heard what is going on with the scheduled switch? The last I heard was another round of firmware updates for the radios was forthcoming prior to any more switches being made.

What are you hearing from Harrisburg and Lykens lately. On the x9000 in my truck, I can hear ocassional comms between the CDC and Harrisburg units. I'm not always within range, but it seems like when I am, I do not hear much.

I'm thinking they're both on STARNET now and using the VHF as an alternative or when a unit lacks 800 capability. Reading and Hamburg still jump back to VHF now and then.

Also, anybody who has noticed their local PSP stations go silent, please update the wiki page or post here and I'll update it.

PSP Troop VHF Channel Assignments - The RadioReference Wiki

senduhelp

What are you hearing from Harrisburg and Lykens lately. On the x9000 in my truck, I can hear ocassional comms between the CDC and Harrisburg units. I'm not always within range, but it seems like when I am, I do not hear much.

I'm thinking they're both on STARNET now and using the VHF as an alternative or when a unit lacks 800 capability. Reading and Hamburg still jump back to VHF now and then.

Also, anybody who has noticed their local PSP stations go silent, please update the wiki page or post here and I'll update it.

PSP Troop VHF Channel Assignments - The RadioReference Wiki

In the last 3 weeks or so I haven't heard anything from Harrisburg or Lykens. Prior to that I would ocassionally hear them.

Mattsenft

Premium Subscriber
Harrisburg and Lykens have gone quiet on VHF and now Chamberburg is the only comms I hear on B. Guess they finally got their firmware issues worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.