PSR-295 handheld mini review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakemcgraw

I had a few people pm me, about letting them know how the GRE PSR-295 works out, as some are interested in getting one. I just received mine today from ordering it from japan on ebay , to the U.S. it took 10 days to get to PA. pretty good shipping time. This scanner is quite similar in looks , size and function of thr R.S. Pro-95,,with some better features,,Receive is very good on this scanner, in most bands, I listen mostly to lo band around 46mhz and 155-162mhz and 400-462mhz ranges...seems to pick up better than the pro-95 in my opinion which i own also....it doesnt have trunking, But it does have CTCSS and DCS that the 95 doesn't and it has 16 character text, which the 95 only has 12,,,,Another nice feature is it has the very visable orangish color display backlight as oposed to the green on the Pro-95,,1000 channels ,and excellent frequency coverage, with virtually no gaps 25-88 mhz...118-136.99166 mhz...137-174 mhz...216-225 mhz...225.0125-400 mhz...400.0125-512 mhz...806-824 mhz...824.01-894 mhz...894.0125-960 mhz...and 1240-1300 mhz ranges..sensitivity and selectivity are very good,,,also it hardly has any white noise from the speaker while scanning like the 95 does have ,,squelch tail is very mild ,,Great sound from the speaker,,overall a very good handheld,,i'd recommend it if you don't need a trunking scanner !

Last edited:

Jakemcgraw

Just an update of the small review i done on the Gre Psr-295 handheld, concerning batteries. I'm using 4 energizer 2500 mah Ni-MH, rechargeables..Average continuous run time is 16-17 hours on a charge, and thats using the display backlight at least 8 hours out of that time,,run time doesn't seem to be that much less, with the backlight on continuously....Overall pretty decent battery run time.

Jakemcgraw

Jakemcgraw said:
Just an update of the small review i done on the Gre Psr-295 handheld, concerning batteries. I'm using 4 energizer 2500 mah Ni-MH, rechargeables..Average continuous run time is 16-17 hours on a charge, and thats using the display backlight at least 8 hours out of that time,,run time doesn't seem to be that much less, with the backlight on continuously....Overall pretty decent battery run time.
To restate the comment i made on continuous run time on the batteries,,they were new, and i know it takes 2 or 3 charge cycles for them to usually reach their full capacity..I now got an unbelievable 25 1/2 hours continuous run time !

CStarr59

Nice mini review, thank you. But how are you programing it, software? If not how hard is it to enter the Text to go with the channels and does it display both at the same time? I would be very interested in this radio as I have no trunking in my area and I like a simple clean looking radio with text. Also how much was shipping to PA.

Jakemcgraw

CStarr59 said:
Nice mini review, thank you. But how are you programing it, software? If not how hard is it to enter the Text to go with the channels and does it display both at the same time? I would be very interested in this radio as I have no trunking in my area and I like a simple clean looking radio with text. Also how much was shipping to PA.
Thank's for the compliment on the review..Yes the Text and Freq. are displayed at the same time.. No software. but its not very hard to program by hand at all..Manual is straight forward, easy to understand..I got mine from ebay seller: suenr..$99 + 25 shipping i paid to Pa. here...Its a very nice nice handheld, and has great frequency coverage,,virtually no gaps in the ranges,,and it has CTCSS and DCS subaudible encoded squelch modes........................ Les

Last edited:

CStarr59

Les, one more question for you. How about the size of the 295, is it larger than the current PSR lineup (psr-100 psr-300) or exactly the same size? Thanks again.....Craig

Jakemcgraw

CStarr59 said:
Les, one more question for you. How about the size of the 295, is it larger than the current PSR lineup (psr-100 psr-300) or exactly the same size? Thanks again.....Craig
HI, Craig....Size is 6-1/8" H x 2-3/8" W x 1-5/8" D

sfx777

Scanner virgin with psr 295 probs

hi, you guys seem to be familiar with the gre psr 295, i live in UK and just bought one but when i press scan it just says all channels locked out and i cant get it to pick anything up, i have tried everything i can find on line resetting it etc but the manual isnt much help, any ideas of how the get past this all channels locked out???

Status
Not open for further replies.