PSR-310 Control Receiver Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

majora11

Hi,

I have set up a PSR-310 as a Control receiver, but it isn't tuning to the frequency being set under Listen -> Frequency in the Receiver window (The signal receiver is working perfectly, and the frequencies are constantly changing.) I think the problem might that I haven't set the radio to the right mode. I have tried pressing the Man and Tune buttons. I have the Radio Shack PC/IF USB cable connected (I installed the drivers from the CD,) and the little red light on the cable is blinking (only blinks at 9600 baud rate.)

Here are the Receiver parameters I have set:

Type = Control
Model = PSR310
Role = Voice
Serial Port = set to USB com port on radio
Baud Rate = 9600
Data Bits = 8
Stop Bits = 1
Parity = None

My Unitrunker version is 1.0.24.6

Also, I have Listen enabled in the main options tab.

I just received this radio today, so I'm extremely ignorant on it's operation (my signal receiver is a nice and easy PSR-800.)

Thanks

SCPD

QRT
This is confusing:
(The signal receiver is working perfectly, and the frequencies are constantly changing.)
The signal receiver should stay put on the control channel. It should not change frequencies - unless the control channel has moved.

What system are you monitoring?

I thought the PSR310 operated at 115200, not 9600. The Tuner log may give us a clue. Check "Logging" under the Control section of your PSR-310's receiver window.

There is a "Listen" section at the bottom of the receiver's Info tab. Does the information (source, target, and channel) change?

majora11

Sorry, I meant to say the frequencies are changing in the "Listen" section of the Control receiver window.

SA/Bexar County EDACS

I have a Tuner log. It only gets created when I select 9600. I tried 115200, and got not log and no red activity light on the USB.

Yes, the source, target and channel change in the Listen section.

SCPD

QRT
On a related note, you'll want to fix this ...
Log file originally created as C:\Program Files (x86)\UniTrunker\R00000008\Tuner-20120207.LOG
The start menu shortcut should point to a folder like %APPDATA% (or at least not a folder under "Program Files").

majora11

My shortcut is pointing to C:\Users\myaccount\AppData\Roaming\UniTrunker\

I found and fixed the log location problem. My Path under the Options tab Unitrunker was pointing to C:\Program Files (x86)\UniTrunker. I changed it to C:\Users\myaccount\AppData\Roaming\UniTrunker\

majora11

Hi,

I downloaded PSREdit310, and ran Scanner Control to see if the problem is with my USB/Drivers/Settings/Radio. I set the radio to Tune, and was able to move the frequencies up and down through Scanner Control, and verified that the frequencies were changing on the radio. The red light on my USB cable blinks at the same rate as it does when i run the control receiver in UnitTrunker at 9600.

This is definitely a UniTrunker PSR-310 control receiver problem. It looks like the PSR-310 was successfully tested as a signal receiver, but has it been verified to work as a control receiver?

majora11

Hi Rick,

I have a theory as to why the PSR-310 is not working as a control receiver, and I wanted to get your thoughts. It looks like it was assumed that the PSR-310 and PSR-500 share the same control protocol. It looks like they don't.

See the following posts by Chauffeur6:

"While we're on the subject, I'm unable to get ScannerCast to interact with the PSR-310/410, leading me to believe the control protocol for those two models is also different than the PSR-500/600. I'd love to see ScannerCast support those two models also."

"I'm still waiting on word about the 310/410 alpha tag protocol. I assumed they'd be the same as the 500/600, but that is apparently not the case. Neither ScannerCast nor RadioFeed support the 310/410 yet, which is a shame because I have a brand new 410 sitting here that I'm seriously considering running a feed from if I can get tags supported on it."

Here is the entire post: http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/207657-psr-800-computer-control-protocol.html

Thanks

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
Two issues jumped out at me from the OP. i dont think the proper port has been selected (i like butel software to id the correct port quickly). Secondly GRE scanners do communicate at 115200 baud, even on 9600baud control channels. i think this confusion is also hindering proper tuning.

majora11

Thanks Rick!

Not sure if you saw at the end of the post that the ScannerCast author PeterGV received the control protocol for the 310/410 from GRE last June.

Do you have a general ETA on when you'll have a preview release with this fix? I'm getting kinda antsy, since this is the final roadblock on my quest.

SCPD

QRT
I do not sign NDAs. I'd have to hire an attorney to advise of a possible conflict. That expense negates any possible value such documentation might have.

Back before Uniden finally got wise and published their protocols, we had to go through the pain of figuring out each command. That's just the way it was a dozen years ago.

Remote Scanner Control Protocols

The protocol will take a little time to figure out. Sorry, no ETA.

I'm a bit disappointed as I was told that the 310 / 410 were identical to the 500 / 600 with P25 removed. That description is a bit over-simplified.

majora11

Thank you for the explanation, and taking the time to look at this. You can reduce code on this one. I have decided to get a 3rd radio (PSR-500) and use it as the voice receiver for my setup. I'll use the 310 as a signal receiver and the PSR-800 to monitor the analog talkgroups simultaneously, and for all of my out of town analog/P25 monitoring.

I'll be happy to test the 310 as a voice receiver once an update is made available.

majora11

OMFG! I just got the PSR-310 to work as a voice receiver... You have to set the Type = Inline instead of Control.

majora11

So, after selecting type = Inline, I can then change it back to Control and it still works. Anyway, I got it working.

SCPD

QRT
Glad to hear it.

Did you get the baud rate issue fixed? The radio really should be running at 115200.

majora11

Yeah, that's the thing. When you set it to Inline, it defaults to 115200 and it worked. Earlier when i had it initially set to type = control, I tried manually setting it to 115200, but didn't work. The activity light would only come on for the control default of 9600, but wouldn't change frequencies on the radio.

Now all we need is the Hold function, and this will be the ultimate scanning machine. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.