PSR-310 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NP413

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I recently upgraded from PSR-100 to a PSR-310, mainly because I wanted to listen to the trunked frequencies that the Mass State Police use. I pretty much only listen to my local police & fire and the PSR-100 was fantastic. The signal was always crisp, clear and never any issues. Now that I have the 310, I have noticed that the signal isn't as clear as the 100. There seems to be some kind of static sound every time something is transmitted over the radio. Is there anyway to tweak this so it comes in clearer? I read the manual and couldn't find anything. Or do I just have a bunk radio? Every time I move the radio it gets noticeably worse. It's not as bad when I just leave it on the table. I'm using a GRE 800 MHz antenna. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

NP

NP413

Premium Subscriber
I'm at about wits end with this radio. Worst reception ever! I have a tiny $50 HAM radio in my truck that gets better reception. On the trunked bands, it skips out and on the local conventional bands it's fuzzy. I read some where that the sound on the conventional bands is known as the "hiss"? But still, the the 911 Management building is not even half a mile away. I should be getting better reception. Does anyone have any suggestions?

eagleswings01

Hi NP and welcome to RR! I have and love the 310, and am using it mainly for aviation. Right now I only have one trunked system setup (EMS) and it picks it up just fine.

It's possible that the stock antenna may be your problem. I just upgraded my rubby ducky antenna to this one from Radio Shack. I know there are several other antenna choices that other RR users recommend, so maybe someone else will chip in with their thoughts.

Hopefully that helps get some thoughts going. Good luck!

Mike

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
My guess is that the static you are hearing on the MSP frequencies is interference from Nextel? Are you near any towers? Also, what part of MA are you located in, and which zone of the trunk system are you trying to monitor?

NP413

Premium Subscriber
@Mike- I actually ditched the stock rubber ducky right of the bat. I've been using the GRE 800 MHz.

GRE 800 MHz Rubber Antenna

Last night the local PD came in great, better than usual and there was a lot of activity which was also a plus. I might pick that Radio Shack whip up. Do you think it would better than what I'm currently using?

@Junior080- Sorry for being a newbie to trunking, but I have no idea what the zone is. I followed the manual for the Motorola Type II, which I guess meant I didn't need to change anything in the settings? Then I just entered all of the Boston MSP frequencies listed on this site. Should I have just entered the red control frequencies instead of all of them? I'm basically trying to listen to MassPort Troop F, Troop A, Troop E & Troop H. I'm just outside of Boston proper in East Boston near the airport. It's quite possible I botched this up while setting up the group.

Thanks you guys for helping out, I sincerely appreciate it!

NP

eagleswings01

Hi NP,

I haven't used that antenna so I can't say anything good, bad, or ugly about it. I hate to tell you to buy another antenna if that isn't what you need. Out of sheer curiosity, maybe you should check to see what would happen if you put the stock antenna back on just as a test to see what reception is like. I have noticed that the 310 doesn't like being near other electronics or appliances. Even my fridge seems to cause it some reception issues.

Because I am pretty new to scanning, I'm not sure what advice to offer for the actual trunking setup. Hopefully another 310 user will pop in if you have more questions on the setup.

Good luck!
Mike

NP413

Premium Subscriber
I may actually even have that RS antenna laying around. Mine might be older though. I used it on an old hand-held CB I had years back. I'll give it a whirl! I didn't even think of other electronics being the issue. That could be it too.

I still think I may have botched the trunking settings. We'll see!

Thanks for the help!

eagleswings01

You are welcome - please let me know how you get on!

P.S.
Once I learn a little bit more about trunking I'll do a step by step video, similar to the one I did on programming standard frequencies. I know I am a visual learner, so hopefully it would help someone else as well.

NP413

Premium Subscriber
I did notice that there are two Motorola options for setting up trunking. Does anyone know what I would use for a Motorola Type II and Motorola Type II SmartZone? I assumed it was the MOT 800/900 option but I also noticed there was MOT VHF/UHF.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Try these steps;

1 - For your area, East Boston, you want to monitor Zone 5 of the MSP trunk system. Check the database here for further info but you should only enter in the control channels (red and blue) for that zone. I believe they are 860.9875 and 860.9625. The system type is Motorola Type II and you should select MOT 800/900 if I recall correctly. If you program in the WILDCARD you will receive every talkgroup that affiliates with that zone. If you only wish to monitor specific talkgroups then just enter those you want. Did you check to see if you are near a Nextel tower? Those will have a definite impact on 800MHz reception until rebanding of those frequencies takes place (another story for another day!)

2 - I would definitely recommend an 800MHz antenna. The GRE should work well, as does the Radio Shack model. These will also work well on UHF frequencies such as Boston PD, FD, and surrounding towns.

3 - i would STRONGLY suggest trying software to program your scanner. 2 popular versions are PSREdit and Win500. Both allow a 30 day trial membership with full use. These, in conjunction with becoming a premium subscriber here at radioreference will allow you do directly import everything you need directly to the scanner and makes programming so much easier. Your scanner should have come with the proper programming cable to use.

See if you have better luck trying some or all of these ideas. Check out the website listed in my signature as well for further help with scanning and programming.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Premuim membership allows you to select data from the database and directly import it to the software then to the scanner. Not sure if I explained that correctly.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
For what you wish to monitor you only need the 2 frequencies I mentioned. This trunk system is broken down by sites, or zones, and each of those would really have to be programmed separate from each other. Try just the one zone and 2 frequencies and see how that works.

NP413

Premium Subscriber
Wow! Already working a lot better! Thank you! I'm getting a lot of traffic now. The reception is till kind of off though, it's still skipping out mid sentence when someone is transmitting. I'm assuming there probably is a cell tower around here some where.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried local frequencies? Boston PD, FD, etc? Those should be set to FM. They are non trunking frequencies, or conventional frequencies.

NP413

Premium Subscriber
The local stuff is coming in fine now. Still get that "hiss" but I guess that's just the radio, but other than that, it's fine.

It's weird. I was just listening on wildcard and the Troop C transmissions are coming in clearer than Troop A, E and H. Those sound scratchy, but when I just heard Troop C it sounded great.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Depending on which frequency is active during a transmission there could be static on one then the next could be clean as a whistle. It sounds like there is Nextel interference somewhere nearby. Are the transmissions that are scratchy still able to be understood or is the interference real bad?

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
What is the squelch set at? If you are looking at the radio look directly down at the volume/squelch knobs. Turn the squelch to about 10 o'clock as you look at it and see if that helps.

NP413

Premium Subscriber
Ok, now that I turned the squelch to 10 o'clock it's a lot better. I had the squelch turned all the way up. I'm getting some good Mass Pike traffic now. Got some good lessons today and I really appreciate it! I got so frustrated with this radio after I took it mobile with me yesterday. Now thing are looking a little brighter! ha

Status
Not open for further replies.