PSR-310 trunking help for newguy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryradio

Premium Subscriber
Hi I am new to trunking scanners and am having trouble with the PSR-310

I have created a talkgroup but I cant seem to get any transmissions. I can find the control channel with noise on it but I cant get any transmissions.

After creating the new object I denote the type (Moterola II) I add the frequencies. I leave it on wildcard and set the type to private. Eventhough I am following the manual I cant get it to work.

Would anyone be willing to walk me thru the process of entering a talkgroup for the 310?

This is the system Im trying to install:
Hammond/East Chicago Public Safety Trunking System, Hammond, Indiana - Scanner Frequencies

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The easyest way is to buy the software win500 ect get a usb programming cable and become a premium subscription memberpull the system off the website and into your scanner plus remember a membership also helps keep this place running for all to enjoy.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Psr-310

I have created a talkgroup but I cant seem to get any transmissions. I can find the control channel with noise on it but I cant get any transmissions.

After creating the new object I denote the type (Moterola II) I add the frequencies. I leave it on wildcard and set the type to private.
Set the Wildcard talkgroup to "talkgroup" not private. Private means it is looking for "radio to radio" conversations. Most transmissions are in a group.

ryradio

Premium Subscriber
Do I input the system id or tone numbers? I would appreciate any help getting it configured properly, thats the only talkgroup I need to program (without the software).

For example:
Trunked System
Tag- put my id
Frequencie- put all contact frequencies I know
L/off: off
-Expert-
Atten : off
Narrow FM: no
Audio boost: off
Dwell; 0
mULTISITE: OFF
I Tables: default
fleet map type II

Now I get the garbled noise on one of the contact frequencies.... how do I "tune in"?

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Psr-310

I looked at the system you are trying to program. It is a REBANDED system. That makes this a lot tougher to program every little detail necessary by hand to make it work. Honestly, it is tough enough doing it with software.

Trunked System -> Mot 800/9000
Tag -> Hammond/EChicago
Frequencie -> 851.73750, 851.80000, 852.58750, 852.83750
L/Out -> Off
Atten: -> Off
Narrow FM: -> No
Audio boost: -> Off
Dwell: -> 0
Multi-Site: -> Off
T Tables: CUSTOM
Lo Chan: 440
Hi Chan: 559
Offset: 440
Base: 851.0250
Step 25.000
Lo Chan: 0
Hi Chan: 719
Offset: 0
Base: 851.0125
Step: 25.000

Do I input the system id or tone numbers? I would appreciate any help getting it configured properly, thats the only talkgroup I need to program (without the software).
No.

ryradio

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, I appreciate it. I inputted all the specifics and still having trouble tuning in. I get the garbled noise on the control channel but it doesnt pull in any talkgroups? It says 90% on the meter, I have the "T" in the display....

What am I doing wrong?

Also, how were you able to come up with those tweaks in the edit section by just looking at the radio reference page for Hammond/EChicago?

Thanks again I appreciate any help.

ryradio

Premium Subscriber
I figured it out, pulling in the desired frequencies now just fine. Thanks. Im still curious how you figured out how to tweak the settings.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Manually programming PSR-310 & Motorola 800 rebanded

I get the garbled noise on the control channel but it doesnt pull in any talkgroups? It says 90% on the meter, I have the "T" in the display....

What am I doing wrong?
You must "SCAN" the control channel. If your scanner is merely parked on the frequency, you'll just see the statistics you've descrbed. The PSR-310 is somewhat unique compared to older trunk tracking scanners because you can be parked on the TG Object (in MAN or PAUSE mode) and the scanner does scan it. Prior models did not, you had to actually be in scan mode.

Also, how were you able to come up with those tweaks in the edit section by just looking at the radio reference page for Hammond/EChicago?
The reason I looked at the system you're programming is to see what type of system it is. I first wanted to know if it was a trunked radio system, second needed to know if it was Motorola, and 3rd wanted to know if it was rebanded. I also looked to see if TGs were analog, digital or encrypted.

I was able to determine the system was rebanded by looking at the frequencies being used. When they're in the range of 851-859 MHz, that's a good indicator. Each of those entries you have to program in the TSYS object is there for a reason. MOT 800/900 is the type of system, and because it is rebanded, the bandplan (trunking tables) must be set to custom and programmed in.

As I mentioned earlier, programming these type of systems by hand is not trivial or suggested; but I strongly recommend that people learn how to tweak their scanners by hand -- just like everyone should know how to drive with a manual transmission, although most of us use automatics. Without those skills, you will find yourself at the mercy of others.

I am a total geek when it comes to this stuff for a long list of reasons. One related aspect here is that I spend the time learning how to manually program these scanners; although I do all my programming with software.

Last edited:

Radioman_911

911 Dispatch & Ham Radio guy!
Premium Subscriber
Could someone look at my system Washington County Washington County / Clackamas County / Newberg Trunking System, Various, Oregon - Scanner Frequencies --- this system actually covers two counties and i live in Washington County.. I have a scan list set up for my county and then when i travel to the other end of the system (Clackamas County) i have a different scan list with those sites plugged into it... is this a good route to go? Also for the scanlist for Washington County there are two different sites on that side of the system should i have the control channels for both plugged in? Reason im asking is because im getting some transmissions that im either missing or are getting cut off so im thinking its either what i mentioned above or a rebanding issue or even possibly a multi-site setting issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.