PSR-400 or BCT-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin390

If you had to pick one of these which would you pick? I know the BCT-15 does everything but drive your car, But when you program by hand it can take awhile. On the other hand The GRE PSR-400 is suppose to be a great scanner in it's own right. So if anyone has the time tell us which one you would really pick..........Ray

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Depends. What are you going to use it for? If you're going to be logging and recording, the BCT15 is a clear winner (and there's freeware available for this scanner). The 400 cannot be computer controlled. I might also be a bit concerned about the 400's strong signal handling. It seems some of these newer GREs have a bit hotter front end which makes them
prone to overloading. I haven't heard of any reviews on the 400 yet, however, but it's a trend that might concern me if I were in an urban area 73 Mike

Jakemcgraw

I bought the PSR-400 a few weeks back, and have to say its a very good overall base /mobile scanner. I use mine as a base in the house, I monitor mostly 46 mhz,,155-162mhz and 450-463mhz ranges and it receives great, and I live in a fairly high RF area. Love the Display also, very clear and easy to read..I owned the uniden BCT-15 awhile back and its an alright scanner IMO, but I prefer the PSR-400 over it. And I use the stock telescopic antenna that came with it, and have good reception. Audio power is great, gets loud without distortion !,, I recommend this scanner highly.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
To buy or not to buy!.....

Im on the fence too about the PSR-400. The sensitivity is the issue that has me hesitant. I love my 996, bct 15, and bc-785 all of which have no issues with my external antennas. The GRE folks have done a great job in the sensitivity department but have failed to address the selectivity issues. I dont know, I want a 400 but Im just not sure....

Manny

kevin390

That's the problem that been bothering me. I hade the pro-163. It was easy to program, set- up and getting it going. I program by hand so it took a while to put in all those tags. But it kept on over-loading. Even trying different antennas. I don't want to keep returning scanners, it takes time and I am like a little kid with a new toy. I want to play with it now. The 163 and the PSI 400 are made by GRE. I have stated many of times I like Radio Shack scanners. Uniden or GRE made doesn't matter. But there isn't much of a selection of base scanners at the shack anymore. I guess I am going to learn to appreciate Uniden upper ends scanners. So once again I ordered a BCT-15 today from Grove. I guess I will take more time to learn about this scanner this time around..........Ray

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I hear ya Kevin!

Kevin;
I went from a BC 785 which is a standard bank scanner to a BCT 15 with Dynamic memory. I did not like it at first. It took me quite a few tries to get it , but now, I love it. I use the Scancontrol software to program it. I love the 15 because it has both great sensitivity and selectivity. While not 100% intermod free, it holds up pretty darn good when connected to my externaly mounted scantenna. I love my BCT 15. Give it time, you will too.

Manny

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I have a 785, 246T. I just bought a BCT-15 a short time ago and love it. Some of the features that i like are 1) Priority will cut in on a trunk system and while searching.2) you can put all your priority channels in one system.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Congratulations on your new purchase...

My fire department recently purchased and installed BC15T's in the chiefs' cars and several offices. I was tasked with programming the radios. I used FreeScan http://scannow.org/ to program them. I think you'll find this program useful. It also allows computer control of the radio.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Hey Eric!
Thanks for posting that freescan web site. I just went there and downloaded the software and the latest update. I have to say, very nice. I wish I had known about this BEFORE I laid out the cash for Scancontrol. Thanks.

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.