PSR-400 Performance Mil Air/receiver location

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcopter

I`m thinking about getting a PSR-400 to monitor Mil Air frequencies as I live very close to the Homestead Air Reserve Base in southeast Florida.

What I am worried about is the sensitivity of the scanner that I have read around here.

I`ve read one post where a sibling of the PSR-400, the PSR-500, would be overloaded from the RF coming off his desktop computer.One of the replies suggested that he use the attenuator feature to alleviate the problem. Moving the receiver away from the PC is not an option for me, I have to have it next to my PC on my desk.

If I were to use the attenuator, would`nt this degrade the reception of the signals in the Mil Air band?

Would this problem be diminished using an outside antenna?

Thanks.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
gcopter said:
I`m thinking about getting a PSR-400 to monitor Mil Air frequencies as I live very close to the Homestead Air Reserve Base in southeast Florida.

What I am worried about is the sensitivity of the scanner that I have read around here.

I`ve read one post where a sibling of the PSR-400, the PSR-500, would be overloaded from the RF coming off his desktop computer.One of the replies suggested that he use the attenuator feature to alleviate the problem. Moving the receiver away from the PC is not an option for me, I have to have it next to my PC on my desk.

If I were to use the attenuator, would`nt this degrade the reception of the signals in the Mil Air band?

Thanks.

If the signals are not overpowering, then the attenuator would work fine. As long as my scanner is not right on top of my PC, there is little to zero interference, something that is not true of any other radio i've used.

The other option being an outside antannae may help with good coax.

have you tried yet? I doubt it will be an issue unless your PC is very electrically noisy. Even if it is, they seldom are noisey over more than a few feet.

skip21

Premium Subscriber
gcopter said:

Thanks.

I have 3 laptops. My main one, my psr600 sits about 6" from it. My psr500 is about 2" from it. I have no overload problems. I program the psr500 from either of my 3 laptops without overload. They coexist very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.